Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Expensive!

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 11 months ago #23072

• davidchecker
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 8 years, 11 months ago
It seems less usable, not more. Different strokes, I suppose.

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 11 months ago #23073

• muroshi
My impression as well, I probably go with the Pro as it is.

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 11 months ago #23074

• bjacquot
What was so bad about the shuttle pro? The four buttons beyound the wheel?

I think we should be asking you that question. You're apparently struggling to overhaul the thing without having ever used it?

I got a shuttle pro to try with Lightworks. I got it to work pretty well.

Ergonomically, I like it. It's a bit smaller than I was expecting, but it actually fits my hand nicely (but I've got long, skinny hands and fingers). It's also thinner than I was expecting - it doesn't rise too high above my desktop, so it's comfortable. The size lets me keep my wrist straight, and simply curl my fingers to press the buttons. A little beanbag under my wrist helps, too.

The buttons aren't horrible...enough of a click to know that I pressed them.

Once I got it configured, I found it to be a very intuitive extension, and I can use it without looking at it or thinking about it too much.

The downsides:
  • It take a lot of configuration work to set up. You have to set up the Shuttlepro driver to assign keys to each of the controls, then take those keys and assign them to functions within Lightowrks.
  • Also, because it maps to keyboard keys, mapping the Shuttle into lightworks means that you redundantly map keyboard keys. You don't get 105 keyboard keys + 15 shuttle keys...the shuttle keys overlap the keyboard.
  • The drivers aren't great in Win7. You need to set them to run as administrator, so it can save the config files. Contour seem to be rather lackadasical about updating this. (after looking at the JL Cooper stuff yesterday, it makes me wonder if maybe Contour hired Cooper to design the thing, and contour just sells it. The config apps are remarkably similar.)
  • I've got the shuttle ring set up to be fairly nice at the moment. The jog wheel, though, is problematic. If you really crank on it, it puts a boatload if key events into the windows queue, and Lightworks has to drain them one by one. It's possible to wind it so much that it can take a while for all of those events to be processed. My workaround: use the ring for rough location, and the wheel to fine tune by stepping the last few frames.

I also use a Logitech gaming mouse with some extra buttons, which I use for Cut/Copy/Paste/Undo in other applications. I haven't folded them into Lightworks yet.
Last Edit: 8 years, 11 months ago by .

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 11 months ago #23075

• davidchecker
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 8 years, 11 months ago
bjacquot wrote:

[ul]
  • It take a lot of configuration work to set up. You have to set up the Shuttlepro driver to assign keys to each of the controls, then take those keys and assign them to functions within Lightowrks.

• Also, because it maps to keyboard keys, mapping the Shuttle into lightworks means that you redundantly map keyboard keys. You don't get 105 keyboard keys + 15 shuttle keys...the shuttle keys overlap the keyboard.

• I was assigning keyboard "modifiers" to the Shuttle Xpress. This allows me to use keys on the shuttle repeatedly, and just press modifiers to change functions, e.g., Key 1 + i = insert, Key 1+ m = mark, Key 1 + n = unmark, etc ... which gives me a lot more functions from 5 shuttle keys than just 5 assigned. You can't "just" use the Shuttle this way, but I think it's a good compromise.
    Last Edit: 8 years, 11 months ago by davidchecker.

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 11 months ago #23088

• muroshi
    bjacquot wrote:
    What was so bad about the shuttle pro? The four buttons beyound the wheel?

I think we should be asking you that question. You're apparently struggling to overhaul the thing without having ever used it?

I got a shuttle pro to try with Lightworks. I got it to work pretty well.

Someone said the buttons are crumbled together.

Would the Euphonics give me advantages in speed (it's working over Ethernet and not Keyboard-USB)? The bad thing seems, you can't label the buttons of the Euphonics and it's costing more than double what you pay for the shuttlepro.

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 11 months ago #23092

• davidchecker
    • Pro User
    • Expert Boarder
    • 8 years, 11 months ago
    muroshi wrote:
    The bad thing seems, you can't label the buttons of the Euphonics and it's costing more than double what you pay for the shuttlepro.

I think the Euphonics comes in under the price of a console you could use with inserted labels.That seems like an upscale feature. There's always gaff tape and a sharpie, or one of those keyboard sticker sets for Avid, FCP, etc...

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 11 months ago #23093

• Greg_E
    • Pro User
    • Platinum Boarder
    • 8 years, 11 months ago
    The Avid Artist Transport is not supported in Lightworks, so it won't do you any good. I haven't researched this control very much because I have few uses for it and Avid won't send me a demo unit to try even though it might mean that we would buy about 25 of them. The Artist Color panel has some neat transport functions when you are in the editing mode, there is a video somewhere on Avid's site about this panel. The Artist Control looks like it might be a good compromise between features.

All that said, I do wish they had opted for a USB connection instead of ethernet. I can understand why it was done but USB would have been a good addition.

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 11 months ago #23094

• Greg_E
    • Pro User
    • Platinum Boarder
    • 8 years, 11 months ago
    And the is nothing wrong with milling wood, I've done it a few times on my manual mill, you just need the right cutting tools since it is very different from metal. The only issue with using wood is that some areas need to be very thin, from the stuff I've made it looks like 0.100 inch thick is ideal to transplant the Shuttle devices shuttle/jog control, same goes for the buttons I used but they could probably go into something a little thicker. This thickness brings you out of the area of solid hardwood and into plywood to get the strength you need, there are probably ways around it if enough though it put into the subject, might eliminate the screws sticking down through the top of what I did... But then I wouldn't be able to be a nice wooden box for $20 either. But still something to think about.

And that funny T shaped shuttle pro conversion looks like it is design to control a home built CNC machine, should be plenty functional for that use.

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 11 months ago #23117

• muroshi
    Greg_E wrote:
    The Avid Artist Transport is not supported in Lightworks, so it won't do you any good.

So you have to set buttons as with the shuttle pro I guess?

I have few uses for it

It seems to do the same thing as the Lightworksconsole or a shuttle pro? Can't see a difference.

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 11 months ago #23120

• muroshi
    Greg_E wrote:
    The only issue with using wood is that some areas need to be very thin, from the stuff I've made it looks like 0.100 inch thick is ideal to transplant the Shuttle devices shuttle/jog control, same goes for the buttons I used but they could probably go into something a little thicker. This thickness brings you out of the area of solid hardwood and into plywood to get the strength you need, there are probably ways around it if enough though it put into the subject

On the original console all buttons lie on a flat surface from what I see. A aluminium alloy panel like yours will do. Maybe you could use good flat wood on top of it afterwards to give it a nice finish.

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 11 months ago #25136

• Henry51
    • Pro User
    • Gold Boarder
    • 8 years, 11 months ago
    The Console is expensive???? haha.. The Console is cheap, because you will save a lot of time with it! Its the greatest editing tool ever! And its worth every penny. I used my mark II for 10 years. It have its marks now, but it still works perfect. So if you get a professional editing system for only 60 bucks (see my profile for comments about that!) its worth to invest in a console.
    By the way: I have 3 old consoles from Lightworks/Heavyworks left. if anyone is interested let me know (but its NOT for free...)
    Lightworks 14; 64 Bit; Windows10; Aspire VX15, 16 GB;

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 11 months ago #25140

• mattrock1988
    Henry51 wrote:
    The Console is expensive???? haha.. The Console is cheap, because you will save a lot of time with it! Its the greatest editing tool ever! And its worth every penny. I used my mark II for 10 years. It have its marks now, but it still works perfect. So if you get a professional editing system for only 60 bucks (see my profile for comments about that!) its worth to invest in a console.
    By the way: I have 3 old consoles from Lightworks/Heavyworks left. if anyone is interested let me know (but its NOT for free...)

Hey! I might be interested in one of your consoles. Just let me know how much you are asking for and I might consider it.

Thanks!

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 11 months ago #25146

• klongman
    • Pro User
    • Senior Boarder
    • 8 years, 11 months ago
    hi I would be interested in your consoles for sale, could you please let me know how much you want for the different ones, thanks

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 11 months ago #25168

• Forum Admin
    @mattrock1988 and @klongman,

they're in the Shop..

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 11 months ago #25169

• Greg_E
    • Pro User
    • Platinum Boarder
    • 8 years, 11 months ago
    Henry51 wrote:

They were referring to the above.
    Time to create page: 0.48 seconds
    Scroll To Top