Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Expensive!

Expensive! 9 years, 7 months ago #14870

• mattrock1988
Why is a new Lightworks Console so expensive to procure? I was wondering if the nearly $3000 device is really expensive to build or if it is a supply and demand sort of thing? It looks like fairly simple hardware with a jog dial and buttons. Thanks.

Matt
Last Edit: 9 years, 7 months ago by .

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 7 months ago #14884

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 9 years, 7 months ago
mattrock1988 wrote:
Why is a new Lightworks Console so expensive to procure?

They are not mass produced, unlike games consoles. Hand assembly is not cheap.

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 7 months ago #14894

• suitepost
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 9 years, 7 months ago
They are hand made and numbered.
They look simple and are simple to use
but lots of people have tried to make a console as good and failed.

Mine is over 15year old and still good. It has had heaps of work.
They still bring a good price second hand.

For me it is the heart and soul of L/Works.
It is what makes L/Works such an intuitive editor.
Watch someone using one it is poetry.

An editor might take his own console with him to different computers.

You have a choice you don't have to use one.
ASUS G53SW Laptop
i7-2630QM, 2.0GHZ
8GB ram
Genforce GTX460M CUDA 1.5GB
Win 7 64bit Lightworks Pro
Lightworks Keyboard + Contour shuttle Pro

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 7 months ago #14895

• mattrock1988
It would be cool to get the schematics to build a console ourselves. Something like a DIY kit for under $400 USD would be far nicer and more attractive IMO.

Also, just as something to put this into perspective, I have a Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2 that is made in very limited numbers in Japan. It uses Topre key-switches (some of the best for a keyboard), durably designed keys and a nice compact design for roughly $325 USD. Now although that is more that I am usually willing to pay for any kind of computer input device, $325 for the quality of this thing made it worth every last quid I put into it.

In my opinion, even if editing on the Lightworks system via console is better than pure sex, I still can't see a $3000 USD peripheral as really being worth it. They aught to price it more aggressively.

The Lightworks subscription system is pure genius, and the price is definitely right for that. Now lets see if we can find a way to make the console more reasonably priced for us students and those with low paying jobs. I could buy myself a whole Apple Mac Pro system for the price of an accessory.

Matt

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 7 months ago #14897

• suitepost
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 9 years, 7 months ago
Now lets see if we can find a way to make the console more reasonably priced for us students and those with low paying jobs. I could buy myself a whole Apple Mac Pro system for the price of an accessory.

Yeah, but would the Apple Mac Pro system be working and in demand in 10 years.

I agree, it would be better if the Console was at a cheaper price point.
Who knows Editshare might even sell more.
ASUS G53SW Laptop
i7-2630QM, 2.0GHZ
8GB ram
Genforce GTX460M CUDA 1.5GB
Win 7 64bit Lightworks Pro
Lightworks Keyboard + Contour shuttle Pro

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 7 months ago #14898

• Amir
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 9 years, 7 months ago
Can I use my old Lightworks console with the currant Lightworks?
What about the cable connection to the computer?

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 7 months ago #14903

• Gabriele Turchi
suitepost wrote:

Watch someone using one it is poetry.

does anyone have it in new your city that i can visit for 30 min ?
i am am a colorist very interested on editing my short film in LW , i am interested on the LW console , but i can't find the way to see it before buy it (especially to see why is good)

thanks

g

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 7 months ago #14910

• Forum Admin
I can't remember where I read it - possibly even here: if you were to build an iPad in small quantities it might cost as much as $15,000.

The other thing is that these consoles, like other professional equipment, are built to professional standards, which means that they are designed to last for years under extremely heavy use. Building anything like this adds massively to the cost. As we all know, consumer equipment is built to be "just good enough" for typical consumer use - and does't always the course if it's used intentionally.

Finally, don't forget the new Lightworks keyboard, which is a finely-tuned accessory for editing rapidly with Lightworks!

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 7 months ago #14916

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 7 months ago
mattrock1988 wrote:
It would be cool to get the schematics to build a console ourselves. Something like a DIY kit for under $400 USD would be far nicer and more attractive IMO.

Matt

I guess no one has followed my project It may not survive being run over with a car but it should work for a decent amount of time being used every day.

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 7 months ago #14919

• mattrock1988
Wait... what project?

Matt

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 7 months ago #14924

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 7 months ago

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 7 months ago #14926

• Forum Admin
I guess no one has followed my project

I think lots of us did. It was fascinating!
Last Edit: 9 years, 7 months ago by .

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 7 months ago #14929

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 7 months ago
That is also only the beginning! While functional I'm not entirely happy with all aspects, and most of this is the way the keys are programmed and I need to fix this in the next version. The next version will hopefully be a completely self contained HID multifunction device (keyboard and trackball), with all programming handled on the device itself. I'm still toying with the idea of touch for the jog and shuttle. Lots and lots of work to do to learn to program the chosen processor before this can happen so not sure how long it will take. Since I know see how the LW Console handles the physical shuttle control I can see that my other idea for that control will work since they are the same/similar. Also toying with the idea of a Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch to replace the trackball, that might actually happen first since there are other applications for the tablet surface than just navigation.

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 7 months ago #14977

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 9 years, 7 months ago
To put it in context, the console is actually a dedicated computer. It isn't just a simple joystick style device.

I can't speak about series 2 and later, but series 1 was built around an 8080 or 8088 processor. This allows the dynamics to be tailored to feel more like a flatbed film editor.

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 7 months ago #14979

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 7 months ago
There are 3 processor in the series 1 console, I would need to look at my notes to remember exactly which ones are there. It appears that one handles the keyboard and mouse connections, another handles switches and the third handles system IO and the shuttle. Today all that can be done with a $4.00 processor and provide a USB connection to the host computer. The expense is not in the actual hardware, the expense is in the short runs of production and in the software running the console. The custom shaped box and shuttle control add a bunch of expense too. Mass produced does not apply which is why the device I made costs as much as it does. Those stinking trackballs are about $100 to $200 each when you are only looking to buy one or two of them, and that is for the lower quality mechanical trackballs.
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds
Scroll To Top