Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software?

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 8 months ago #13286

  • LW_for_Feature
Greg_E wrote:
Looking at one of the docs care must be taken! There is a Touch to db9 that will not function because the db9 is not wired properly for RS232. db9 RS232 always uses pin 2 and 3 for data and pin 5 for ground.


So what are you saying Greg-E? That Interlabs tutorial/pinout to make a DB9-DB15 cable for the console is wrong? I'm just not sure what you mean.

You mean this is wrong: www.interlab-net.com/docs/lightworks/support/Console_cable_pin_out_for_Touch_ONLY.pdf

And this is the right cable: www.interlab-net.com/docs/lightworks/support/run_console_series_I&II_via_standard_Sub-D9_port.pdf


Also, I was thinking that if the protocol used is RS232 that it was just a matter of getting a RS232 DB15 to DB9 cable and you would be set? Is there any difference in the wiring suggested by Interlabs and the wiring of a standard DB-15 to DB9 RS232 cable?

Not to mention that while the pinout in the first link is clear, I'm sure I follow what's going on in the second link.
Last Edit: 9 years, 8 months ago by .

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 8 months ago #13288

  • LW_for_Feature
By the way, anybody knows what type of connector is this:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 9 years, 8 months ago by .

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 8 months ago #13290

  • juhartik
LW_for_Feature wrote:
By the way, anybody knows what type of connector is this:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.


Looks like 8-pin miniDIN connector. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-DIN_connector)

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 8 months ago #13292

  • LW_for_Feature
juhartik wrote:
LW_for_Feature wrote:
By the way, anybody knows what type of connector is this:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.


Looks like 8-pin miniDIN connector. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-DIN_connector)


I thought it could be, but this connector has square holes while the mini-din are round. But you may be right.
Hopefully it's not some proprietary connector.
Last Edit: 9 years, 8 months ago by .

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 8 months ago #13295

  • Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 2218
  • 9 years, 8 months ago
It is not a keyboard or mouse connector, I'll have to look around when I have time and find it, I believe it may be the same connector used for Apple serial connections (modem) in the old ADB days. You can get this connector but you need to look around for it and I'm not sure where I have this info stored. I would probably remove that connector and replace it with something more common that would probably be compatible with the end on whatever power supply I was going to use.

As far as the interlab docs, just be careful because they do have a document that shows a db15 wired to a db9 in a non-standard pinout and it will not work with a regular (standard) db9 RS232 connection. So check to make sure the document that you are using shows RXD and TXD (or RX and TX) connecting to pins 2 and 3 of the db9.

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 8 months ago #13301

  • LW_for_Feature
Greg_E wrote:
It is not a keyboard or mouse connector, I'll have to look around when I have time and find it, I believe it may be the same connector used for Apple serial connections (modem) in the old ADB days. You can get this connector but you need to look around for it and I'm not sure where I have this info stored. I would probably remove that connector and replace it with something more common that would probably be compatible with the end on whatever power supply I was going to use.


Actually, I'm pretty sure it is indeed a Mini-din 8-pin connector. It looks the same. I even found some 12V power supplies with that connector in the end. The thing is I have no idea how the controller is wired. I was talking to a technician who was saying it's very risk to just buy a power supply without knowing if the Mini-din 8-pin will be wired the same way as the controller receiver. He suggested opening the controller to test and find out how it's wired not to risk damaging it.

Greg_E wrote:
As far as the interlab docs, just be careful because they do have a document that shows a db15 wired to a db9 in a non-standard pinout and it will not work with a regular (standard) db9 RS232 connection. So check to make sure the document that you are using shows RXD and TXD (or RX and TX) connecting to pins 2 and 3 of the db9.


The pinout in the 2nd link has the RX on 2, TX on 3 and Ground on 5 for the DB9.
According to the document header it seems to be a tutorial to make the exact cable I need:

ISSUE: run console series I&II via standard Sub-D9 port
Concerned platforms: Windows and PC platforms
06.02.2007
Issue: Make work a serial RS-232 Lightworks console on Alacrity and Softworks.
Make a custom cable SUB-D15 female to SUB-D9 female.


The only thing that worries me is the date. It says 06.02.2007.
My console is from 1998-1999.

The document on the first link which I think is the one you say the wiring for the DB9 is wrong says "Console_cable_pin_out_for_Touch_ONLY" and the date is 2002. Maybe my control is a Touch version? Maybe the Touch didn't use RS232? The second link (2007) is for the Alacrity and Softworks which I think were the last version before Editshare bought it. But my console is not that new.
So confusing!
Last Edit: 9 years, 8 months ago by .

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 8 months ago #13304

  • Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 2218
  • 9 years, 8 months ago
Yes, you really need to open it to make sure you are putting the positive and negative supply on the correct pins, and if you are going to open it you might as well remove the odd power connector and put something more common in its place.

I wouldn't worry too much about the age of the document, since there is no power at either of the db connectors there is little to worry about. It will either communicate, or it will not.

Sadly building the adapter cable and changing the power connector are pretty trivial things for me, that's the end of the industry I have been in for more than 20 years now. Sad because I don't have to to demonstrate with and I'm not comfortable building the adapter without being able to test it.

If you can determine which pins get the +12 and ground, you can probably use this cable because I'm pretty sure it has the proper connector on the end:
www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=911&sku=02996

This page has a good description of each connector in the mini-DIN round family:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-DIN_connector

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 8 months ago #13318

  • RWAV
  • Moderator
    Pro User
  • OFFLINE
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 7125
  • 9 years, 8 months ago
All concoles work on all systems - with the correct cable pinouts for that system. The age of your console is not an issue
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 8 months ago #13319

  • LW_for_Feature
RWAV wrote:
All concoles work on all systems - with the correct cable pinouts for that system. The age of your console is not an issue


What do you mean by "with the correct cable pinouts for that system."?

The pinouts should also match whatever protocol the console uses right? Which in turn has to be the same as the controller card in the system. So for all consoles to work on all systems, all systems have to have the same protocol, i.e. RS232 etc. If that's the case there can#t be a "correct pinout" for a given system because all systems would have to have the same pinout. Or am I missing something here?

I will install a RS232 card on my system because I read that the console uses RS232 protocol.

But what is interesting is that Interlabs has a different pinout schematics for Touch consoles only, a pinout in which according to Greg-E is not compatible with RS232. But regardless, Interlabs clearly has 2 different pinouts, both for use with Lightworks consoles.

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 8 months ago #13320

  • LW_for_Feature
Greg_E wrote:
Yes, you really need to open it to make sure you are putting the positive and negative supply on the correct pins, and if you are going to open it you might as well remove the odd power connector and put something more common in its place.

I wouldn't worry too much about the age of the document, since there is no power at either of the db connectors there is little to worry about. It will either communicate, or it will not.

Sadly building the adapter cable and changing the power connector are pretty trivial things for me, that's the end of the industry I have been in for more than 20 years now. Sad because I don't have to to demonstrate with and I'm not comfortable building the adapter without being able to test it.

If you can determine which pins get the +12 and ground, you can probably use this cable because I'm pretty sure it has the proper connector on the end:
www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=911&sku=02996

This page has a good description of each connector in the mini-DIN round family:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-DIN_connector


Yeah, I will have to check to make sure the power connections will be properly wired in the power supply to match the console wiring. Like I said I actually found a 12V power supply with the correct connector plug already. I'm just not sure it is the correct wiring of the positive and negative to match the console. Once I can determine which pins get what I might as well just buy any good quality 12V power supply and have the plug replaced with a mini-Den 8-pin. But I don't want to mess with replacing the power connector in the console, unless it's broken. It's not like I will connect and disconnect everyday. Once I plug it it will stay plugged and sitting on my desk. I will keep it as simple as I can with the modifications. But thanks for the suggestion.

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 8 months ago #13569

  • LW_for_Feature
I have posted an updated of my console situation here:
www.lightworksbeta.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=25&id=13514&Itemid=269

But it's not looking good.

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 7 months ago #14184

  • Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 2218
  • 9 years, 7 months ago
Can one of the admins email the 64 bit drivers and instructions to me? My old console finally arrived a bit beat up and smelling like an ashtray. It appears to be run on a 5 volt regulator and I see a popular (for the time) TTL to RS232 chip which means converting this to USB is a simple task with a board I already designed for a different project. I'll have to check the total current draw because it might be able to run off of USB power. But I want to try and get it running before modifying it to make sure everything is good and get it all cleaned up.

Are there any comm port limitations that I need to deal with? Sometimes USB comm port end up at comm 10-19 and BT SPP comm ports 20+, will Lightworks look at comm port higher than 4 or will I need to adjust the USB port down lower?

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 7 months ago #14189

  • Cookiecutter
  • Administrator
    Pro User
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 2180
  • 9 years, 7 months ago
Greg_E wrote:
Can one of the admins email the 64 bit drivers and instructions to me? My old console finally arrived a bit beat up and smelling like an ashtray. It appears to be run on a 5 volt regulator and I see a popular (for the time) TTL to RS232 chip which means converting this to USB is a simple task with a board I already designed for a different project. I'll have to check the total current draw because it might be able to run off of USB power. But I want to try and get it running before modifying it to make sure everything is good and get it all cleaned up.

Are there any comm port limitations that I need to deal with? Sometimes USB comm port end up at comm 10-19 and BT SPP comm ports 20+, will Lightworks look at comm port higher than 4 or will I need to adjust the USB port down lower?


Hi Greg_E,

We will email the instructions and drivers to you shortly.

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 7 months ago #14196

  • Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 2218
  • 9 years, 7 months ago
Got them, need to clean the device and make some cables and find a power supply.

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 7 months ago #14197

  • Cookiecutter
  • Administrator
    Pro User
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 2180
  • 9 years, 7 months ago
Just don't open it up and look inside
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds
Scroll To Top