Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software?

Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 9 months ago #12285

• LW_for_Feature
Has anybody got an old console to work with the new beta software?

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 9 months ago #12321

• LW_for_Feature
Nobody?

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 9 months ago #12322

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 9 months ago
Do you have one? Not exactly an easy thing to track down unless you know where you can grab one. That said, I think there are a couple of posts about them.

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 9 months ago #12323

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 9 months ago
Tariq Anwar, the editor of The Kings Speech, might have one.
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 9 months ago #12324

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 9 months ago
I bet lots of people have them, finding a used one for sale is the hard part since I have not seen one come up for sale yet.

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 9 months ago #12339

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 9 years, 9 months ago
Yes.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 9 months ago #12353

Have been using a MKII no problem.. works just as well with the new lwks beta as it did the previous releases..

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 9 months ago #12368

• LW_for_Feature
Samuel_Verdonck wrote:
Have been using a MKII no problem.. works just as well with the new lwks beta as it did the previous releases..

Is yours the kind that has a separated power supply or the type which gets power from the serial connector? Did you have to re-work your pinout to use it with a modern computer and USB or you just use a straight USB to serial converter? Thanks.
Last Edit: 9 years, 9 months ago by .

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 9 months ago #12390

We have several consoles that we use. Two still have the old serial and separate power supply. The most are USB. (have an internal Serial to USB converter supplied by Lightworks) We have made repairs to our consoles in the past and I believe it is possible to convert older serial consoles to usb. You would have to order the card from lighworks. The connectors for the serial versions and the usb versions to the hardware are the same. Should be an easy fix.

As for the Serial versions - we have made small converter cables using the following schematic

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 9 months ago #12394

• LW_for_Feature
Samuel_Verdonck wrote:
We have several consoles that we use. Two still have the old serial and separate power supply. The most are USB.

Interesting. How old are those? Are they the new ones Editshare is selling?

Samuel_Verdonck wrote:
(have an internal Serial to USB converter supplied by Lightworks)

Internal to the computer or internal to the console? Are your systems turnkey or a computer with software?

Samuel_Verdonck wrote:
We have made repairs to our consoles in the past and I believe it is possible to convert older serial consoles to usb. You would have to order the card from lighworks.

Do you mean a PCI-e type of card that plugs into the USB jack on the motherboard but has a Serial outlet?

Samuel_Verdonck wrote:
The connectors for the serial versions and the usb versions to the hardware are the same. Should be an easy fix.

As for the Serial versions - we have made small converter cables using the following schematic

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Thanks. Even with the card you mentioned you would still need the converter box?

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 9 months ago #12412

Can't really say how old the consoles are, they were here when i started working at this company. We have two generations of turnkey systems.

In reference to the console. It is an internal circuit board in the controller itself. It replaces the serial connection board. If you open up your console you will see two circuit boards. One has the buttons mounted on it and the connections to the shuffle control. The other is serial control board. This one is the one that can be completely replaced with a USB control board. Lightworks even supplies a nice backplate to replace the old backplate. But it is lightworks specific circuit board only available from lightworks themselves. Unless you can find another "broken" console to harvest parts from.

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 9 months ago #13031

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 9 years, 9 months ago
Serial interface consoles will work with LW Beta - seems a lot easier to make a cable than to
change controller card in a console.

Both original Series 1 and Series 2 consoles (with expernal power supply) work - however the Series 1
needs to be fitted with a 12v power source - in the original LW there was a dedicated console port -
which was a modified serial port with 12v and Gnd on appropriate pins.

If you look here ---

www.interlab-net.com/Int_docs&softs.htm

--- you will find, among a large amount of LW information dating back to early days, the file

run_console_series_I&II_via_standard_Sub-D9_port.pdf

(With apologies to Interlab for posting their links. That was better than
providing their information without acknowledgement, I thought.)
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 9 months ago #13033

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 9 years, 9 months ago
I just typed that info in another thread!

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 9 months ago #13055

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 9 months ago
Looking at one of the docs care must be taken! There is a Touch to db9 that will not function because the db9 is not wired properly for RS232. db9 RS232 always uses pin 2 and 3 for data and pin 5 for ground.

Re: Anybody using an old console (MKI or MKII) with the new beta software? 9 years, 8 months ago #13285

• LW_for_Feature
Double post, sorry.
Last Edit: 9 years, 8 months ago by .
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds
Scroll To Top