• Page:

TOPIC: [SOLVED] Scrolling Timeline

[SOLVED] Scrolling Timeline 4 years, 3 months ago #78915

• Schloime
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
Hi there.

Maybe I just completely forgot how to, but is there another way to scroll the content of the timeline back and forth besides grabbing the gray bar in the zoom bar? Something like shift-mousebutton or alt-middle-mousebutton?

Sometimes I have zoomed in so much, that the gray bar is rather a gray line and not grabbable any more.

Thanks
Tech: AMD FX 6100, 16 GB RAM, GeForce GTX780, Win10 64, Panasonic AG-AC90, Panasonic HC-X929, Canon EOS 600D (T3i), Contour Shuttle, BMD Intensity Pro, Zoom H2N, Tascam DR44WL, DVR Dongle
Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by Schloime. Reason: Solved

Re: Scrolling Timeline 4 years, 3 months ago #78917

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
There are a couple of other methods. You can use the scroll wheel om the mouse to zoom in and out by placing the mouse on the bar area or you can use the keyboard short cuts "-" and "=" to zoom out and in respectively.

Edit. Another method is to use the zoom icons on the top LHS of the timeline.
Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by briandrys.

Re: Scrolling Timeline 4 years, 3 months ago #78959

• Schloime
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
Hi and thanks for your answer.
But my problem is not zooming, but moving the timeline. Sometimes I need to center a clip in the middle of the timeline, but the only way I know to scroll left-right in the timeline is by grabbing and moving the gray marker in the zoom bar.
Using the jog/shuttle moves the playhead until it reaches the side, then jumpes a whole bit further. I need a smooth scrolling of the timeline.
Yes, I could zoom out so the gray bar gets larger, then grab it and move the timeline, and then zoom back in, but there should be a shorter way to accomplish this.
Tech: AMD FX 6100, 16 GB RAM, GeForce GTX780, Win10 64, Panasonic AG-AC90, Panasonic HC-X929, Canon EOS 600D (T3i), Contour Shuttle, BMD Intensity Pro, Zoom H2N, Tascam DR44WL, DVR Dongle

Re: Scrolling Timeline 4 years, 3 months ago #78962

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
You want the cut where you're editing to stay centred in the timeline?

Check out using the scroll wheel, the playhead and clip seem to stay put with that, as the timeline expands. However, you do need to ensure that the mouse arrow is on the gray zoom bar, otherwise the playhead will start moving through the cuts.

Dragging the zoom bar does seem to limit the magnification compared to the other methods. Just comparing the methods, zooming with the keyboard seems to reduce the chance of accidental movements and the play head stays centred until the wider views of the timeline,

Re: Scrolling Timeline 4 years, 3 months ago #78964

• Schloime
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
OK, maybe my english is a bit off... maybe I'm using germanized english
Another example: I have zoomed far into a clip to work at its beginning with audio nodes, maybe creating a curved fade in or whatever. Now I want to move over to the end of the clip which is outside the timeline. Sometimes moving to the next cut with the mousewheel or (key-assigned-to-next-cut)-key, the jump is too far, I only want to move the timeline a bit.
One way is to grab the gray part of the zoom bar and slide it a bit, but in my example I am already zoomed in so much that the gray bar is hard to grab.
So I am looking for another way to move, NOT zoom, the timeline smoothly.
But still, thanks for your patience, briandrys.

Re: Scrolling Timeline 4 years, 3 months ago #78974

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
No problem, my Vegas 9 has a horizontal scroll and it's pretty obvious and some other NLEs have what looks like one. I don't see anything similar on Lightworks.

Re: Scrolling Timeline 4 years, 3 months ago #79029

• aminix
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
@Schloime

I have similar problem. On Liquid i simply use the Wheel of my Jogshuttle (JLCooper MCS2 that doens't work under LW) to move around a clip or pressing shift+left/right arrow key.

So i make 4 macros that can move 20 or 50 frames forward or backward.
By pressing shift+arrow keys i move 20 frames and with the ctrl+arrow keys i move 50 frames. You can change the macros to have a step of 10 frames for more accuracy.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Unzip and simply copy these files in the preferences folder
For XP in
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documenti\Lightworks\Preferences
in win7/8... i don't remember

Then go to the key assignements and assign a key to each macro (i suppose, never try it)

Tschuess
Flavio

P.s. i know that it is not the same what you want but hope that can help you.
When I start to look around I become insatiable.
Milan, Italy.
Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by aminix.

Re: Scrolling Timeline 4 years, 3 months ago #79039

• Schloime
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
Hey aminix,

pretty good idea for a workaround, I'll definitely try it. Thanks for the macros.
Just looked in your profile, my birthday is 10 days before yours in the same year .

Mille grazie, ciao

Edit: OK, I tried it, but it is still not exactly what I want.
But while playing around, I found out that if you drag the red playhead all the way to the left or right side, it will scroll the way I had in mind, even with adjustable speed depending on how far out you move the mouse.

So I put "solved" in the title now.
Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by Schloime.

Re: [SOLVED] Scrolling Timeline 4 years, 3 months ago #79052

• aminix
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
Off Topic

my birthday is 10 days before yours in the same year .

I'm born in Regensburg and was a Regensburger Domspatze
When I start to look around I become insatiable.
Milan, Italy.

Re: Scrolling Timeline 4 months, 4 weeks ago #181028

• ceefour
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 4 weeks ago
For me the red playhead's behavior is inconsistent, there are 3 possibilities:

1. It moves as you described, slowly and gracefully
2. It stuck on the right, and won't move past it, even though are are more stuff
3. It moves in light speed, jumping quickly to the beginning or the end in a couple of seconds

Still not solved for me, on Lightworks 14

Re: Scrolling Timeline 4 months, 4 weeks ago #181031

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 4 weeks ago
You should check out the V14.5 beta for any current changes. You can install both versions on your computer by putting it into its own folder (with a suitable different name) in the program directory.
Last Edit: 4 months, 4 weeks ago by briandrys.

Re: [SOLVED] Scrolling Timeline 3 months, 2 weeks ago #183653

• kririb
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 2 weeks ago
I am not sure if I understand your issue but when I googled "lightworks how do you scroll" I got to this thread.

I wanted to replace a very short clip in the beginning of a long sequence without messing up the rest of the layers (audio/effects/etc) and since it got to small when I zoomed out so that I could see where I wanted it, and it seems you cannot scroll sideways, I marked the clip I wanted to move and held it still and then pressed "a" several times until I was next to the clip and then I let go and it worked perfectly.

Re: [SOLVED] Scrolling Timeline 3 months, 2 weeks ago #183655

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 2 weeks ago
Welcome to the forum.

You can zoom in and if you move the playhead the timeline will follow it, so allowing you to replace your clip,
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds
Scroll To Top