Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Questions about using a second monitor

Questions about using a second monitor 1 week, 3 days ago #222828

• DNL
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
My laptop has a 17" 4K screen. I would like to run a 2nd monitor. Should it be the same size and resolution?

4K monitors that size are expensive. How would a 2K monitor work? I gather from other posts that when you stretch across two monitors of different resolutions, the size changes and it is hard to work.

In flexible layout, there might be a way around that problem, but not in fixed layout. Right?

Are two monitors even practical at all in fixed layout?

I think I read on the forum that driving a 2nd 4K monitor slows down the system. Is that true?
LenovoThinkPad P70, Xeon E3, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro M3000M, SSD internal HD, Windows 10 Professional 64 bit.

Re: Questions about using a second monitor 1 week, 3 days ago #222829

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
You're very best solution is to drive your second monitor via a Decklink card in your PC. If you're on Mac there are TB/Decklink solutions. A Decklink (or AJA) card is the only way to get a clean 10bit 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 output from Lightworks which bypasses your GPU colour processing so can make for very accurate grading.
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770
System SSD, 16TB Internal RAID 0, Cache SSD
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Maxwell GPU
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 15 with OxygenTec ProPanel
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
2 x 24" HD GUI, 24" 10bit Rec.709 IPS Monitor
12G Decklink 4K SDI Pro>HD-Link Pro>Display Port
Sony 55" X9005B 4K Client Monitor
Sony Super 35 HD camera with Atomos ProRes Recorder
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/I-Rig XLR Phantom preamp
HDvideo4K.com

Re: Questions about using a second monitor 1 week, 3 days ago #222836

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
DNL wrote:
Yes, you can use one monitor for the Lightworks GUI and redirect the full screen preview to the second. That's what I do.

Technically, it's possible to stretch the Fixed GUI over two monitors, same as with as with Flexible laoyut. However, since combination and position of the panels cannot be customized, it's hard to see a benefit when doing that.

In general, when stretching the canvas over multiple display, which definitely makes sense in Flexible layout, best practice is using displays of the same size and resolution or, even better, exactly the same model.

I think I read on the forum that driving a 2nd 4K monitor slows down the system. Is that true?
Compared with HD, 4K quadruples the load for full screen operations on the GPU. If this is noticeable depends on what the GPU is actually doing. You don't need a 4K display to test that. Start editing on a sequence with some effect, switch the preview resolution between 1080p and UltraHD and see happens. On the other hand, with a HD workflow, HD settings and a decent GPU, just adding a 4K monitor to the system shouldn't have any noticeable impact to the system performance.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 week, 3 days ago by hugly.

Re: Questions about using a second monitor 1 week, 1 day ago #223032

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
DNL wrote:

I would say it would work, how well that is hard to say. I just tried it with a HP elitebook and a Dell 23" the different sizes look weird
HP Elitebook 840, 2xDell U2312HM, UbuntuStudio 20.04 LTS, Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 which works sometimes
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
Scroll To Top