Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can I color code different media types?

Can I color code different media types? 1 week, 3 days ago #210797

• thesunray
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
My media clips automatically turn a rainbow of colors in the timeline but I'm curious if I can adjust that manually? For instance, can I make all my jpg images blue, my drone shots red, my phone camera grabs yellow...? I find that often the full filename isn't visible and it gets hard to tell from looking at the timeline what type of shot I'm viewing. If I could see "oh, there's a rogue jpg I left in" just by seeing that it's a blue media clip among a bunch of yellows, that would be very useful.

Re: Can I color code different media types? 1 week, 3 days ago #210798

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
No, you can't assign the clip colours manually, at least not directly. However, if you don't need the 'Reel ID' metadata for other purposes, you can use the same reel id for clips of the same group, then switch settings for 'Segment colours based on' to 'Reel' and see which colours Lightworks has decided to assign.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Can I color code different media types? 1 week, 3 days ago #210812

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
thesunray wrote:
.. but I'm curious if I can adjust that manually? For instance, can I make all my jpg images blue, my drone shots red, my phone camera grabs yellow...?

If you can wait:
In the next Lightworks version (2020.1), you will be able to define all this easily.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 14.6 Beta & 14.5; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 1 week, 3 days ago by schrauber.

Re: Can I color code different media types? 1 week, 3 days ago #210813

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
schrauber wrote:
In the next Lightworks version (2020.1), you will be able to define all this easily.

Good point, and 12 different colours should be sufficient for most applications.

Re: Can I color code different media types? 1 week, 3 days ago #210815

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
hugly wrote:
12 different colours should be sufficient for most applications.

How long after release do you think it will be before the first request to increase that number is posted?

Re: Can I color code different media types? 1 week, 3 days ago #210816

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
For me twelve colours are more than enough, but I can imagine that it won't take that long after people have detected the new feature.

The coloured triangles on viewers and tiles look nice and you can even sort and search by colour, amazing.

Re: Can I color code different media types? 1 week, 3 days ago #210819

• thesunray
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
Thank you all very much for the answers. Hugely's "Reel ID" should work for me and I will hope to get the 2020 version at some point. 14.5 is working well for me overall though. (And for me, 12 colors is PLENTY! Lol.)

I really appreciate the help. Thank you!

Re: Can I color code different media types? 1 week, 3 days ago #210828

• Great White
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
How long after release do you think it will be before the first request to increase that number is posted?

fwiw, my initial implementation allowed you to choose from 36 colours (from the same palette that the default colours are generated from) but being able to change a clip from a particular shade of pastel green to pastel lilac didn't seem to offer a lot of benefit. Consequently, I changed the palette so that the feature is more useful for highlighting clips rather than arbitrarily recolouring.
Lightworks Development

Re: Can I color code different media types? 1 week, 3 days ago #210831

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
It's easy to differentiate many colours, if one sees them side by side. The information revealed is, "that's something different". I'm not sure if human brains are made to memorize easily the meaning of more than 5-10 different colours. This might even be considered as an upper physological limit, beyond that, text base flags to explain the meaning could make sense: "Hold on, what was this colour supposed to telling me? Can't remember, let's do the search."

Re: Can I color code different media types? 1 week, 2 days ago #210866

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
jwrl wrote:

Great White wrote:
fwiw, my initial implementation allowed you to choose from 36 colours ...

Don't get me wrong, that wasn't intended as a criticism. It was a comment on the fact that when a feature is added to a program there will always be someone for whom it isn't enough. If you had implemented 36 the same would apply.
Last Edit: 1 week, 2 days ago by jwrl.

Re: Can I color code different media types? 1 week, 1 day ago #210929

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
jwrl wrote:
jwrl wrote:

Great White wrote:
fwiw, my initial implementation allowed you to choose from 36 colours ...

Don't get me wrong, that wasn't intended as a criticism. It was a comment on the fact that when a feature is added to a program there will always be someone for whom it isn't enough. If you had implemented 36 the same would apply.

Defination Elephant: Mouse designed by requests.
Lenovo D30 Workstation,128GB ram, Nvidia L4000, 2xDell U2312HM, Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 which works sometimes

Re: Can I color code different media types? 1 week, 1 day ago #210933

• thesunray
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
I think it's probably higher than 5-10, but probably depends on use. In my case, 12 colors will be fine. One for jpgs, one for phone shots, one for drone shots, one for good camera shots...12 seems ample. Again, thanks to all for the help.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds
Scroll To Top