Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Video Editor Freezes After Brief Playback

Video Editor Freezes After Brief Playback 8 months ago #174411

I'm working on my first project with Lightworks using video footage. I'm using HD video files (MP4 format) from a GoPro Hero4 Silver on a very old macbook pro (with an equally old NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 256 MB).

When I look at my Activity Monitor while playing the video in the editor, the CPU is getting maxed out, so this is most definitely the problem. Are there settings I could use to facilitate playback during the editing process?

Re: Video Editor Freezes After Brief Playback 8 months ago #174422

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months ago
Hello and welcome!

Most load is on CPU when editing compressed footage. To reduce load on CPU significantly, I'd suggest using internal proxy workflow (see below).

Load on GPU is mainly caused by demanding effects. To reduce load on GPU, reduce preview resolution to 720p25 or 720p30 (depending on your frame rate) from "Project.Video.Main.Output format". Both will not affect quality on export.

Internal proxy workflow (V14.0):

Proxies are files with low resolution and bitrate, created from original media (or from intermediates). They are used to increase performance when editing.

To create proxies: Right-click on the source viewer (or onto a selection of clips in Project Contents) and select "Media.Make proxy". Progress bar shows progress.

To enable proxy editing: Click on "Project" upper left hand side to open Project panel and select "Video.Main.Playback media quality" "Lowest availableā€. On export the original files will be used automatically for best possible quality.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 8 months ago by hugly.

Re: Video Editor Freezes After Brief Playback 8 months ago #174431

Thank you for the super clear advice! (Although it was "Project.Video.Output", not "Project.Video.Main")

At a glance, things seem to be working. I'll update this thread if I run into an issue down the road.

Thanks again!

Re: Video Editor Freezes After Brief Playback 8 months ago #174433

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months ago
Ah, you run V14.5 beta, menus have changed, the above describes V14.0 release. I've just added this info in the post above to avoid confusing others reading it.

Good to hear that things seem to be working and don't hesitate to update on issues down the road.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 8 months ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds
Scroll To Top