• Page:

TOPIC: XVID import suggestions?

XVID import suggestions? 2 years, 11 months ago #89355

• BassoonSJ
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 11 months ago
Hi. New guy ...

I have the free version of Lightworks, and am trying to import a clip that
uses XVID MPEG-4/1040x960/15.196fps/.avi with 128kbps/.mp3 audio. Import doesn't work (when I try to preview, I only get a black screen with occasional sound 'blips'). Doesn't export either (same black/blips). Is there a suggested conversion that I should put the clip through to make it Lightworks import-compatible? Thanks.

Re: XVID import suggestions? 2 years, 11 months ago #89359

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 11 months ago
That video is so far from standard, it won't import without a significant rework. XVID is not supported, 1040x960 is not a standard resolution, 15.196 fps is not a standard frame rate, and mp3 is not an editable format. About the only thing worse is if it is not square pixel.

I don't say this very often but I think you should edit this in some freeware editor. You're going to have to convert it, scale it, pad it, double the frame rate, and convert the audio to edit in Lightworks. It can be done, but it's a lot of work.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: XVID import suggestions? 2 years, 11 months ago #89370

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 11 months ago
I must say that I'm inclined to agree with donkpow on this. However, if you're keen to try Lightworks, you will find EyeFrame here. It was created by a Lightworks user, tin2tin, for just this sort of problem. There's also ClipToolz Convert. Its developer is a user here too. Both are capable of doing the sort of conversion that you will need, but you may find the Cliptoolz user interface a little easier to understand. Unfortunately both are Windows-only tools.

As another alternative you could probably use Handbrake to do the same thing. It has the advantage of being multiplatform, and will run on Mac, Linux and Windows systems.

I've trialled both Clipttolz and Eyeframe and know that they work. I haven't used Handbrake, so I can make no further comment on it.

Finally, you posted this thread in the Community Showcase. That is hardly the best place for it. I've put it here so that you will get more comments.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds
Scroll To Top