Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Import problem, codec unsupported, Fraps

Import problem, codec unsupported, Fraps 7 years, 7 months ago #7275

• Index
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 7 months ago
Hey,
I want to try out Lightworks. So I captured a short in-game-video with Fraps (version: 2.9.9). Then i tried to import the .avi-videofile in Lightworks, but I got the error that the codec is unsupported (the codec is here not listed: www.lightworksbeta.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=19&id=1277&Itemid=202). So I searched in this forum and in Google, what I have to do. I tried many things. I converted the .avi-videofile with SUPERĀ© (latest version) and VirtualDub (latest version) in many different codecs and formats. Mostly I got an error or the result was bad.
Now I don't know what I have to do. Which program should I use or which codec should I use to work with Lightworks.

I hope you unterstand me, my english is not so good.
Simon
Last Edit: 7 years, 7 months ago by Index.

Re: Import problem, codec unsupported, Fraps 7 years, 7 months ago #7279

• Forum Admin
    Pro User
  • 7 years, 7 months ago
Hi Simon

Thanks for your interest in Lightworks.

Lightworks comes from a broadcast video background and at this stage in its evolution, doesn't support a wide variety of codecs. You can see the codecs currently supported in the Announcements section.

More to the point, probably, is that it is very picky about frame sizes, so - even if you'd captured to a Lightworks-supported codec - I'm guessing that your video is in an odd frame size. If you could give us full details of the captured file, then we can be more specific about reasons why it might not be working.

You seem to be saying that you are using AVI, but that is just the container for the compressed file. We need to know the codec and the frame-size as (x by y pixels) well.

Re: Import problem, codec unsupported, Fraps 7 years, 7 months ago #7281

• Index
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 7 months ago
The video has the following details:

captured with:
Fraps
format/container:
.avi
codec (I used MediaInfo):
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
frame-size:
1920*1018 (ohh, I see now that it's 1018 and it's not 1080, that's the problem, or not?)
FPS:

Edit: Argh, I captured the game in window-mode, not in fullscreen, so the frame-size was 1920*1018. Now I captured 1920*1080 and it works. Thank you
Last Edit: 7 years, 7 months ago by Index.

Re: Import problem, codec unsupported, Fraps 7 years, 7 months ago #7287

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 7 months ago
I don't think Lightworks supports the FRAPS codec, the bit rates are all jacked up too.

Re: Import problem, codec unsupported, Fraps 7 years, 7 months ago #7520

• spoonium
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 7 months ago
Well Fraps is used to capture games, thus it has to use a relatively "weak" codec that doesn't use too much processing power.
Those bit rates are pretty normal.

An example from my frapsed material:
CONT_SUBTYPEAVI v1.0
VIDEO_BITRATE329302
VIDEO_CODEC_NAMEFRAPS Codec
VIDEO_CODEC_TYPEFPS1
VIDEO_DAR1.886
VIDEO_FRAMES_PER_SEC30.000
VIDEO_SIZE_X1920
VIDEO_SIZE_Y1018
AUDIO_BITRATE1536
AUDIO_CHANNEL_COUNT2
AUDIO_CODECPCM Audio
AUDIO_SAMPLE_RATE48000

Also, as Lightworks cannot handle "crude" resolutions, I'll have to continue my search for a decent open source video editor. Bummer.
Last Edit: 7 years, 7 months ago by spoonium.

Re: Import problem, codec unsupported, Fraps 7 years, 7 months ago #7521

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 7 months ago
Can you use Wink to make the same captures? I know it doesn't address your current problem but it might work for the next time you need screen captures. I tried to make FRAPS work but couldn't figure out how to do anything so I just moved one to the next screen recorder.

Wink essentially just grabs a series of still images which Lightworks will assemble into video with a single import step, worked really well on the short test that I did, no idea what it will do on a longer duration test.

Re: Import problem, codec unsupported, Fraps 7 years, 7 months ago #7522

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 7 months ago
Lightworks should be able to handle the 1920x10xx that you are giving it, I think it is mostly down to the codec used.

Re: Import problem, codec unsupported, Fraps 7 years, 7 months ago #7701

• DirkBelig
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 7 months ago
Heh. I just installed and am running Lightworks for the first time and grabbed a Fraps clip, got no preview, Googled and landed here. Premiere Pro and Windows Movie Maker can handle the files as long as the program is installed, loading the codec on the system.

Re: Import problem, codec unsupported, Fraps 7 years, 6 months ago #7864

• Dublin_Gunner
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
Just trying out lightworks myself, and have the same issue.

Gonna try convert the FRAPS avi to something like mpeg 720p with Mediashow Espreso, and see if that works, I'll post back with results shortly.

Re: Import problem, codec unsupported, Fraps 7 years, 6 months ago #7866

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
Few of the screen recorders work, even when you choose a supported codec. The only real success I've had is to make an image sequence with Wink and bring it into Lightworks as an image sequence. If FRAPS will let you save the captures as a numbered series of .png or some other still image type you might be able to use it.

Re: Import problem, codec unsupported, Fraps 7 years, 6 months ago #7871

• Dublin_Gunner
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
Greg_E wrote:
Few of the screen recorders work, even when you choose a supported codec. The only real success I've had is to make an image sequence with Wink and bring it into Lightworks as an image sequence. If FRAPS will let you save the captures as a numbered series of .png or some other still image type you might be able to use it.

It won't Basically the overhead would be far too much while recording live PC gaming, so its pretty much an uncompressed AVI.

Re: Import problem, codec unsupported, Fraps 7 years, 6 months ago #7872

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
You could try Wink and see if it works, it made no difference on my laptop while I was playing h.264 files in Lightworks but I didn't leave it recording for a long time so it could run up against a wall. There is a small guide in hints and tips about using Wink as well as a another post.

Also remember that you need to set the resolution to one of the TV standards, this may not be as important with still images, but with video it certainly is important.

Re: Import problem, codec unsupported, Fraps 7 years, 6 months ago #7875

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
Just use Virtualdub to import you Fraps video, resize it to a LW acceptable res and "Convert" the fps to match your LW project ("convert" may add duplicate frames or delete frames to get to your target fps). Then save to AVI using one of the Matrox MPEG I-Frame codecs (beware that because of a bug in the Matrox codecs, when you close Virtualdub when you're done, it stays in memory and you'll have to kill it in the task manager).
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: Import problem, codec unsupported, Fraps 7 years, 6 months ago #7877

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
khaver wrote:
Just use Virtualdub to import you Fraps video, resize it to a LW acceptable res and "Convert" the fps to match your LW project ("convert" may add duplicate frames or delete frames to get to your target fps). Then save to AVI using one of the Matrox MPEG I-Frame codecs (beware that because of a bug in the Matrox codecs, when you close Virtualdub when you're done, it stays in memory and you'll have to kill it in the task manager).

Considering that this has come up several times, would you mind getting some screen shot and putting together a short guide showing the steps? I haven't done much with the conversion process in virtual dub ( for the past 6 or seven years) or I might do this.

I'll check out FRAPS and see if I can get a higher frame rate on my computer, could come in handy for the future.
Last Edit: 7 years, 6 months ago by Greg_E.

Re: Import problem, codec unsupported, Fraps 7 years, 6 months ago #7880

• Dublin_Gunner
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
khaver wrote:

OK, just d/ling virtualdub now, I'll give this a shot.
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds
Scroll To Top