Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: EyeFrame - easy convert video to and from Lightworks with time code, reel name and proxies

EyeFrame - easy convert video to and from Lightworks with time code, reel name and proxies 7 years, 1 month ago #30817

• tin2tin
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
EyeFrame Converter
Convert videos for easy import in Lightworks and lag-free playback on low-end computers with proxies. And convert exported files from Lightworks to an upload friendly format for ex. Vimeo and YouTube.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Lightworks can be very picky on import video formats. EyeFrame Converter can convert most video files to Lightworks(free/pro) friendly formats. If the default EFC format is giving you lagging and choppy previews, use the EFC convert to proxies option, which will produce low quality clips for a smooth editing process, which later can be swapped with high quality intermediate files for high quality export. Finally EFC can convert the huge YuYv AVI exported files from Lightworks to small upload friendly mp4 files(for ex. Vimeo and YouTube).

Download:
eyeframeconverter.wordpress.com

Getting started(import in LWKS):
In EyeFrame the tabs works as selection of output format, so make sure that the Editing tab is selected and use "LW FREE Mpeg2 I-Frame HD - Proxy Quarter Size" unless you use a Canon EOS camera and therefore needs to use "LW FREE Mpeg2 I-Frame HD - Proxy Quarter Size - Source CanonDSLR".

Features:
  • Works in Windows and Linux(under WINE).
  • Import any file ffmbc/ffmpeg will open including mts, mov, avi, avs...
  • Convert almost anything to a Lightworks(pro & free) import friendly format(ex. Mpeg2 I-Frame HD).
  • Create a folder structure for intermediate(high quality), proxy(low quality) and current project files.
  • Convert to both intermediate(high quality) and proxy files(low quality) in one go.
  • Convert to various Lightworks(pro) formats(ex. ProRes and DNxHD) in intermediate(high quality) and proxy files(low quality) in one go.
  • Swap between intermediate(high quality) and proxy files(low quality) in the current project folder.
  • Add, edit or reuse unique time code and reel name to selection and inject it in exported mov and mxf files(intermediate and proxy files converted from the same source file will get the same time code and reel name).
  • If source already have a time code or reel name then it will be used.
  • Convert tif, jpg, png, tga or bmp image sequences with similar named wav file.
  • Convert to an upload friendly mp4 format(for ex. YouTube or Vimeo).
  • Import Magic Lantern Raw
  • Convert to Pal & Ntsc DVD

Controls:
  • Double-click the EyeFrame Converter icon to open.
  • Drag and drop files, folders or image sequences on the EyeFrame Converter GUI or icon.
  • 'o' key open select files dialog
  • 'f' key open select folder dialog
  • Play media file with double-left-click on thumbnails.
  • Open export settings with right-click on thumbnails.
  • Press Ctrl or Shift when left-clicking to select more items in one go.
  • Edit prefix for file name for selection with right-click on name item.
  • Edit time code settings for selection with right-click on time code item.
  • Edit reel name settings for selection with right-click on reel name item.
  • Edit frame rate settings for selection with right-click on rate item.
  • Press F1 for help(this post).
  • Press F5 for Convert for edit.
  • Press F6 for Swap.
  • Press F7 for Convert for upload.
  • Get media info by hitting the 'i' key.
  • Open ffmbc_log by hitting the 'l' key.
  • Delete media from list by hitting 'x' or 'del'.
  • Select all media by hitting 'a'.
  • 'h' or 'c' open view controls.

Controls for video player(ffplay):
  • q, ESC - Quit.
  • f - Toggle full screen.
  • p, SPC -Pause.
  • a - Cycle audio channel.
  • v - Cycle video channel.
  • t - Cycle subtitle channel.
  • w - Show audio waves.
  • left/right - Seek backward/forward 10 seconds.
  • down/up - Seek backward/forward 1 minute.
  • mouse click - Seek to percentage in file corresponding to fraction of width.

Tutorials:
Video tutorial
More tutorials here.

How to use without proxies:
  1. Double-click EyeFrame icon to open.
  2. Drag and drop files to the GUI.
  3. Right-click on a thumbnail an uncheck ‘Create files and folder structure for proxy editing’.
  4. Import in Lightworks by "Create Link"

How to use with proxies:
  1. Right-click on a thumbnail and check ‘Create files and folder structure for proxy editing’.
  2. Hit convert.
  3. 3 folders will be created: Project, Intermediate and Proxy.
  4. The Project will contain the intermediate files as default.
  5. The Proxy will contain the low quality proxy files.
  6. The Intermediate folder will be empty.
  7. In Lightworks import from the 'Project' folder and use 'Create Link' function.
  8. When you have imported the files in Lightworks exit the project.
  9. In Eyeframe hit the Swap button so the project folder will contain the proxy files, and reopen you project in Lightworks
  10. Edit your video in the low proxy quality.
(NB. If you use 720p or lower you should use swap the files before importing them into Lightworks, so the intermediate files will be used, then before starting to edit swap the files again to use the proxy files. If you don't do this your exported files might come out with a bad aspect ratio)

How to swap proxy and intermediate files:
  1. When you're ready to export your edit in high quality, shut down the project in Lightworks.
  2. Open EyeFrame Converter and select: 'Swap proxy and intermediate files'
  3. Select the folder containing the Project, Intermediate and Proxy folders.
  4. The Proxy files from the Project folder will now be moved to the Proxy folder and the Intermediate files will be moved to the Project folder.
  5. Reopen your project in Lightworks. Now the high quality Intermediate files will be used. Export the project.
  6. If you want to continue editing click 'Swap proxy and intermediate files' again and reopen your Lightworks project.

Alternative swapping of files within Lightworks for files with embedded time code and reel name(mov & mxf):
Khaver writes:
  • I just tried the official "Find material to fill edit" method that Lightworks uses.
  • I created 1280x720 intermediates and 640x360 proxies using the MJPEG HD profile that adds reel names and time code.
  • I imported the proxies into a project and moved the tiles into a bin named "Proxies".
  • I made an edit using these proxies including a dissolve effect between them.
  • I then imported the matching intermediates.
  • I right clicked on the edit and chose "Find material to fill edit".
  • I checked "Make copy and fill that", chose "Imports (Bin)" for "Use material from", selected "Best" for "Replacement quality" and "If Better" for "Replace existing material".
  • I hit the "Do It" button and a new edit was created that matched my original edit but this new one used the imported intermediate files.
  • I would say this method works extremely well when you have matching reel names and time code.

How to export from Lightworks(in best quality) and convert for YouTube or Vimeo upload:
  • Set Lightworks project card to 10-bit precision.
  • Export 10 bit video using the Matrox uncompressed YuYv AVI(free).
  • In EyeFrame hit 'a' to select all and 'del' to clear out all files from EyeFrame.
  • Drag and drop your LW exported file in EyeFrame.
  • Right click to get the export settings and select one of the H264 MP4 upload formats.
  • Click the 'Export for uploading' - button.

How to edit time code, reel name, frame rate and file prefix:
  1. Select all the clips to change values on and right-click in the column(on the value) on the topmost of the clips.
  2. Enter the new value.
  3. Click Okay and all the clips will get the new values.

On the values in the list control:
  • Default reel names and time codes: First EFC looks for actual embedded time code/reel name, and if it can't find that it looks for the encoding date, and if it can't find that it will use the creation date.
  • The reel name and time code will be identical for the matching intermediate and proyx files.
  • Time code: If increment is checked then the time code will increment starting with the the topmost clip.
  • Frame rate: Math equations can be entered too.
  • Reel name: The maximum number of characters is 8.

Changelog:
  • 1.7.8 New: Magic Lantern RAW import.
  • 1.7.7 New: Save and open project settings.
  • 1.7.6 NEW: Wine friendly menus and key shortcuts.
  • Generate MediaInfo in Notepad for easy copy/paste into forum for troubleshooting.
  • Tutorials page updated
  • 1.7.5 New: - Automatic Iso generation of DVD folders. - Access Add prefix, edit time code, edit reel name, edit frame rate from menus.
  • 1.7.4 New: DVD authoring as delivery preset. Bugfix: Image sequence import with wav.
  • 1.7.3 New: Tabs and destination path in export settings. Renaming of presets. Mute Esc key.
  • 1.7.2 Bug fix: Import of PNG in sequence with wav audio
  • 1.7.1 New: Menus
  • 1.7.0 By Khaver: Fixed the endless loop bug when using "o" and "f" to add image sequences and Avisynth scripts. - Added the file name into the set frame rate dialog for image sequences and Avisynth scripts. - Changed UTC date and times gathered from ffmbc and mediainfo into local time so timecode reflects local time.
  • 1.6.9 Use file name as embedded reel name, which can be useful if an LW exported EDL with file names is needed in ex. Blender.
  • 1.6.8 New: Key "o" opens a select files dialog and key "f" opens a select folder dialog.
  • 1.6.7 New: Keys "h" and "c" to display a message box containing the controls(rhinox202) Conversion duration(rhinox202) Bugfix: Adding folders containing image sequences(Khaver).
  • 1.6.6 By rhinox202 New: Proxy message removed after clicking "Convert for editing". Proxy option added to "Set export formats" window. Conversion duration added to "Conversion finished" message box
  • 1.6.5 By Khaver New: Enhanced image sequence import. Image sequences can be tif, jpg, png, tga or bmp files. The number of frames digits is not limited to 6 places. Any frame digit length will work. The first frame doesn't need to be 00000, etc. It can start at any number. The program will find the first frame in the sequence if you don't drag in the first file. Bugfix: Fixed the problem with 25fps being used to determine the duration of image sequences and other bug fixes.
  • 1.6.4 New: Add prefix to selection of exported file names by right clicking item in the Name row. Leave prefix entry box empty to remove previously added prefixes from selected items. - L-key opens the ffmbc_log in Notepad.
  • 1.6.3 New: Edit formats
  • 1.6.2 New: - Sort all items alphabetic by clicking row headers. - Intermediate files in project folder as default. Changes by Khaver: - Increment now works as it should (no gaps in frame count). - Clips don't have to be the same frame rate for increment to work. - Frame rate edit dialog changed from up/down arrows to a text input box. You can also enter a formula in the box to get fps such as 24000/1001 to get 23.976. - Frame rate item in the list now has 3 decimal place precision for those rates that might need it.
  • 1.6.0 New: - Add incrementing time codes to selection. - Limit reel name to 8 characters.
  • 1.5.9 - New: Right click on Frame Rate to change fps for selection. - New hotkeys: F5: Convert for edit. F6: Swap. F7: Convert for upload.
  • 1.5.8 - Audio in DNxHD & ProRes: Endianness: Big, Codec ID: twos Khaver: - Speedup in encoding: the intermediate creation and proxy creation processes run simultaneously. - Minor fixes.
  • 1.5.7 New: Icons. Fix: - Avisynth frame rate. - Numeric check for frame rates.
  • 1.5.6 New by Khaver: - Changed the Size column to Duration column. - When adding a tiff image sequence or Avisynth scripts, an input box pops up so you can enter a new frames per second value. - When the thumbnail creation function runs, it creates the thumbnail and at the same time retrieves the file info to fill in the list view items. If that doesn't supply all the info, mediainfo.dll is run to retrieve the missing info. This allows for correct image sequence info. - The thumbnail creation command for ffmbc has been fixed so correct aspect ratio thumbnails are shown and it doesn't crash ffmbc. - Dashes removed from reel name(max. 8 characters in Lightworks > the date). - MJPEG HD export pre-set with time code for Lightworks free.
  • 1.5.5 Fixes by rhinox202 - Limit spinner - Cancel of swap dialog - Remove unused icon code - Left-double-click to open tc and reel name Fixes by Khaver - Wrap spinner - Only numbers in spinner - Added Cancel buttons on TC and Reel Name - replace ffprobe with mediainfo(so ffprobe can be left out)
  • 1.5.4 New: Edit time code settings for selection with right-click on time code item. - Edit reel name settings for selection with right-click on reel name item.
  • 1.5.3 New: MediaInfo, Time Code, Reel Name and Frame Rate added/generated at import time and automatically added to exported mov and mxf files. Intermediate and proxy files from the same source will get the same time code and reel name.
  • 1.5.2 New: Setup installer. Correct ini format. Various command line corrections.
  • 1.5.1 Various great enhancements by rhinox202
  • 1.5.0 New: Timecode and reelname added to mov and mxf exports. If source has timecode it will be reused and if not the file creation date and time will be used. The creation date and a unique five letter word will be added as the reelname and the creation time will be the timecode. The intermediate and proxy file from the same source file will get identical reelnames and timecodes.
  • 1.4.9 Added: Collect information on files it is not able to import and give you one message-box after the import has finished.
  • 1.4.8 - Right click to select 'Convert for editing' - format and 'Convert for upload format'.
  • 14/10 - v. 1.4.7 New: Import of Lightworks exported tif image sequences. If a wav file with the root name is found in the same folder it will be imported too(ex. 'filename.wav' for a sequence named 'filename-000001.tif'). A 'filename-000000.tif' file must be the first file of the sequence.
  • 13/10 - v. 1.4.6 Bugfix: Thumbnails not correct after delete and new import. New: Keyboard short-cuts: Del and x key deletes selection, i key shows info, a key selects all. New: Folder with alternative export codecs ex. ProRes and DVCPRO100(rename to EyeFrame_cmd.txt and add to main folder).
  • 9/10 - v. 1.4.5 Added Double left click to view media in ffplay. Added right click to get media info.
  • 8/10 - v. 1.4.4 Added import of folders and folders within folders.
  • 6/10 - v. 1.4.3 Change audio bitrate when source is mono, check for 0k exported files, option to open log in Notepad.
  • 29/9 - v. 1.4.2 Swap proxy files to project folder when adding more proxy files to project.
  • 28/9 - New button: "Convert for upload"
  • 27/9 - Thanks to Khaver new command lines solves the problems of missing audio in longer clips.
  • 24/9 - New and improved interface, save working paths etc. Added: write to homedir check.
  • 20/9 - Added check don't export to sourcefolder
  • 19/9 - Added drag and drop files on the desktop icon for fast import. More error checking ex. project must be closed in LW for successful file swapping. Higher quality intermediates thanks to Khaver.
  • 18/9 - Error checking and more meaningful messages
  • 17/9 - External command lines in EyeFrame_cmd.ini - Proxy files exported with 1/4 resolution and bitrate.
  • 16/9 - Night: Added ffprobe for checking import files. Bugfix: swap wasn't working correctly after restart of app.
  • 16/9 - Morning: the EyeFrame Converter can also create proxy files and swap between uncompressed intermediate and compressed proxy files by the click of a button. If the playback of Mpeg2 I-Frame HD files lags you can use this new function to create low bitrate proxies and by the click of a button swap low and high bitrate files when you want to export your project from Lightworks. If you got a very low end computer this is the way to edit without playback lag in Lightworks.
  • 15/9 2012 - First release.

Motivation:
After spending days trying to figure out to get footage from my Canon 60D into Lightworks without having lagging playback(which all the LW included transcoding formats does and also the much talked about GoPro CineForm codecs on my ageing computer), I finally tried the Mpeg2 I-Frame HD codec, which Khaver has been mentioning for a long time, and I was really surprised not only did my files convert fast, but they also played without lagging in Lightworks in 1080P resolution. That made me so happy that I spend the night on coding a simple, no fuss(no settings) drag&drop batch converter GUI for ffmbc.exe to convert HD files to the Mpeg2 I-Frame HD format.
Left right left right left right left
I love working for uncle Sam - I love working for uncle Sam
Let's me know iust who I am - let's me know just who I am
Last Edit: 4 years, 9 months ago by tin2tin.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Mpeg2 I-Frame HD Batch Converter for low end computers 7 years, 1 month ago #30818

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
You call that an ageing computer? Ha.

I can't use the Cineform codec, too much stutter and lag. I use the m701, uncompressed, or lightly compressed codecs. I often have to double check synch for accuracy.

That looks like a good tool, even if you only need to convert one video. I am forever misspelling something in the command line. Thanks for sharing.

What import formats are supported? I see AVI and MOV.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Mpeg2 I-Frame HD Batch Converter for low end computers 7 years, 1 month ago #30821

• tin2tin
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
donkpow wrote:
I use the m701, uncompressed, or lightly compressed codecs. I often have to double check synch for accuracy.

That looks like a good tool, even if you only need to convert one video. I am forever misspelling something in the command line. Thanks for sharing.

What import formats are supported? I see AVI and MOV.
It is using the m701 format, uncompressed. It'll take anything ffmbc will take so it's up for testing

What's your preferred command line/bitrate setting for m701?
(I'm really surprised to see my Canon 60D footage run smoothly on my computer. Converting 1 GB files in a few minutes and just linking the files in Lightworks and then I'm ready to edit and the clips run lag-free. That's really a kick ass codec. I thought that I had to invest in a new monster-computer to edit, and repair this one with a hammer. Now I let it live... for a while longer...
Last Edit: 7 years, 1 month ago by tin2tin.

Re: Mpeg2 I-Frame HD Batch Converter for low end computers 7 years, 1 month ago #30822

• sennahojx
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
I get the error message: ffmbc.exe has stooped working.

I'm testing on a HP ProBook 5330m, Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit 2,5GHz dual core 4GB RAM. The reason I'm using this computer is because my regular computer is infected by viruses, and crashed, I'm working on to repair it, maybe I reinstalling the hole thing. I got the virus recently after I downloaded AWU Automated Workflow Utility and DSLR Post Prep Utility, but I don't thin that was the source.
Windows 10 Home 64bit, Intel Core i7 3770K @3,5GHz, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM, ASUS GeForce GTX 650 Ti, MSI Z77A-G43, Seagate Barracuda 500GB C-drive, Seagate Barracuda 2TB D-drive.
johannesgustavsson.com
youtube.com/c/JohannesGustavssons
My Lightworks tutorials

Re: Mpeg2 I-Frame HD Batch Converter for low end computers 7 years, 1 month ago #30823

• tin2tin
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
Are you using the 64-bit version?(Which I can't test because I only have 32-bit)

Try the other version.

Re: Mpeg2 I-Frame HD Batch Converter for low end computers 7 years, 1 month ago #30824

• sennahojx
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
tin2tin wrote:
Are you using the 64-bit version?(Which I can't test because I only have 32-bit)

Try the other version.
Yes I used the 64 bit version. I tested the 32 bit version and that worked fine. It's a very easy to use program, thanks.
Windows 10 Home 64bit, Intel Core i7 3770K @3,5GHz, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM, ASUS GeForce GTX 650 Ti, MSI Z77A-G43, Seagate Barracuda 500GB C-drive, Seagate Barracuda 2TB D-drive.
johannesgustavsson.com
My Lightworks tutorials

Re: Mpeg2 I-Frame HD Batch Converter for low end computers 7 years, 1 month ago #30825

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
tin2tin,

Thanks for this utility. Just be aware that coding these utilities will begin to overtake your life. Fix a bug here, add more options there. It will never end. In fact I may enter into the transcoder wars with my own ffmbc based transcoder too.

Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. You can find proof on this forum and here
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver
Last Edit: 7 years, 1 month ago by khaver.

Re: Mpeg2 I-Frame HD Batch Converter for low end computers 7 years, 1 month ago #30826

• tin2tin
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
Yeah, I know. Ive been coding on DVD slideshow GUI for 7-8 years... take look into the abyss of my wasted time here.

Let me know your best m2 i-f hb command line. I think there should only be one and it's hard coded. I've used the one you posted here some time ago: "-vf yadif -vcodec mpeg2video -intra -sameq -vtag M701 -acodec pcm_s16le -threads 8"

Re: Mpeg2 I-Frame HD Batch Converter for low end computers 7 years, 1 month ago #30828

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
I've been using the Matrox m701 codec through VirtualDub. I adjust the bit rate depending on what I want as far as quality and file size. It's a constant balancing act. This week the videos were all lot's of color and full screen action. I selected the highest bit rate the configuration panel would allow. I hope its worth it.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Mpeg2 I-Frame HD Batch Converter for low end computers 7 years, 1 month ago #30829

• tin2tin
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
Let me know if anyone else has problems with the 64-bit, because if you do I'll take it down(I can't test it myself)

(Wow, ffmbc Mpeg2 I-Frame renders Avisynth scripts - faster than anything I ever seen and at 1080P - this is just mind-blowing)

Re: Mpeg2 I-Frame HD Batch Converter for low end computers 7 years, 1 month ago #30838

• sennahojx
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
I just added your program to my recommendation list of media software: ovratorparensfoton.weebly.com/3/post/2012/09/gratis-videorelaterad-mjukvara.html. It's in Swedish, I think you have to use google translate.
johannesgustavsson.com
My Lightworks tutorials

Re: Mpeg2 I-Frame HD Batch Converter for low end computers 7 years, 1 month ago #30841

• tin2tin
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
Update:

As of 16/9 2012 the I-Frame Converter can also create proxy files and swap between uncompressed intermediate and compressed proxy files by the click of a button. If the playback of Mpeg2 I-Frame HD files lags you can use this new function to create low bitrate proxys and by the click of a button swap low and high bitrate files when you want to export your project from Lightworks. If you got a very low end computer this is the way to edit without playback lag in Lightworks.

Download links in the first post.

I'm Danish so Swedish is no problem to read.

Re: Mpeg2 I-Frame HD Batch Converter for low end computers 7 years, 1 month ago #30848

• sennahojx
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
OK nice to hear that Swedish wasn't a problem to you, I forgotten to check your profile page before I posted.

Just want to tell that the 64bit version still doesn't work for me.
johannesgustavsson.com
My Lightworks tutorials

Re: Mpeg2 I-Frame HD Batch Converter for low end computers 7 years, 1 month ago #30851

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
low bitrate proxys and by the click of a button swap low and high bitrate files when you want to export your project from Lightworks.

I'm going to try it. Specs below.

P.S. You need a catchy name for your product.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2
Last Edit: 7 years, 1 month ago by donkpow.

Re: Mpeg2 I-Frame HD Batch Converter for low end computers 7 years, 1 month ago #30856

• tin2tin
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
Try to change the ffmbc to this on in the 64 bit version and let me know if that solves it:
http://code.google.com/p/ffmbc/downloads/detail?name=FFmbc-0.7rc6-win64.zip&can=2&q=

Or use the 64 bit ffmbc with the 32 bit I-Frame Converter.

What would a good name be?
Time to create page: 0.89 seconds
Scroll To Top