Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lagging green screen footage

Lagging green screen footage 4 days, 20 hours ago #242248

Hi,
Recently I made some green screen videos for my new project, but I only have a small portable one so I had to make a mask in Photoshop. I then added this mask to the videos in Lightworks.

After exporting, the video was fine so I imported them into the main Lightworks project, but after exporting the first version of the main project, the green screen footage clearly lagged.
As the original video was recorded in 25fps and I exported the main video in 60fps, I thought that when I export it in 25fps it would be fine, but it also lagged.

For specifications of my computer:
I'm using Lenovo's Ideapad 100-15IBD, I have 4 gb of RAM. I have a Nvidia Geforce 920M and an Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 as my graphic cards. My processor is an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200 CPU @2.20Ghz.

Can anyone help me?
Last Edit: 4 days, 10 hours ago by everythingereditor. Reason: I didn't include my computer's specifications

Re: Lagging green screen footage 4 days, 18 hours ago #242249

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 days, 18 hours ago
What is the specification of your computer?

Also. please could you follow the directions in this sticky, so that users can see the technical details of your source video (not the export): www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=66072&Itemid=81

Re: Lagging green screen footage 4 days, 18 hours ago #242250

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 days, 18 hours ago
everythingereditor wrote:
Recently I made some green screen videos for my new project, but I only have a small portable one so I had to make a mask in Photoshop....
Is the chromakey effect on your portable device causing excessive playback GPU load, and you're trying workarounds that cause sync errors?

If that is the case and the original issue was, perhaps you are interested in using workflows that significantly reduce the GPU load in preview?
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2021.2 || Windows 10 Home, 20H2, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: Lagging green screen footage 4 days, 15 hours ago #242258

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 days, 15 hours ago
I only have a small portable one so I had to make a mask in Photoshop. I then added this mask to the videos in Lightworks.

A simpler fix is to use khaver's polymask effects. I strongly recommend them for this type of problem. A major advantage that they offer is that you can easily adjust them to compensate for camera motion.

Re: Lagging green screen footage 4 days, 12 hours ago #242270

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 days, 12 hours ago
Recently I made some green screen videos for my new project, but I only have a small portable one so I had to make a mask in Photoshop. I then added this mask to the videos in Lightworks.

After exporting, the video was fine so I imported them into the main Lightworks project, but after exporting the first version of the main project, the green screen footage clearly lagged.
As the original video was recorded in 25fps and I exported the main video in 60fps, I thought that when I export it in 25fps it would be fine, but it also lagged.

Can anyone help me?

Laggy is a fuzzy term. Everybody might understand something different.

In my understanding you describe a frame rate issue, perhaps paired with a performance issue in preview.

Please use the recording frame rate troughout the process. If the original vide is recorde/captured in 25 fps, edit and export in 25 fps. To work against performance problems in preview, use the internal proxy workflow.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Lagging green screen footage 4 days, 10 hours ago #242277

Briandrys,
For specifications of my computer:
I'm using Lenovo's Ideapad 100-15IBD, I have 4 gb of RAM. I have a Nvidia Geforce 920M and an Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 as my graphic cards. My processor is an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200 CPU @2.20Ghz.

As for the MediaInfo report, I can't get it right now but I'll get it in a couple of hours.
Last Edit: 4 days, 10 hours ago by everythingereditor.

Re: schrauber 4 days, 10 hours ago #242278

Schrauber,
When I said "A small portable one" I meant a small green screen, so that I had to take it through Lightworks as to key it before loading it into the main project.

I don't really know "workarounds".

While watching the preview my GPU is used in 58%.

I guess I could try these "workflows that significantly reduce the GPU load in preview"
Last Edit: 4 days, 10 hours ago by everythingereditor.

Re: schrauber 4 days, 7 hours ago #242291

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 days, 7 hours ago
... When I said "A small portable one" I meant a small green screen ...
Oh, then I completely misunderstood you.

... While watching the preview my GPU is used in 58%.
That should be OK, probably even if you add the effect recommended by jwrl.
Also, the internal proxies recommended by hugly will reduce both CPU load and GPU load (if you are using current Lightworks versions as of 2021.x).If you are using older Lightworks versions or effects, special effects and routings, there are additionally other ways to reduce GPU load, but for GPU loads below 80%, it seems to me that this is not necessary.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2021.2 || Windows 10 Home, 20H2, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: Lagging green screen footage 3 days, 22 hours ago #242320

Ok so basically I solved the issue by importing the original Green Screen footage and using a polymask to cut it and not having to add the mask in a seperate Lightworks project. I also exported everything in the original 25fps framerate.

I'm writing this so anyone having the same issue who's searching for a solution on this forum can solve it.

Re: Lagging green screen footage 3 days, 15 hours ago #242344

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 days, 15 hours ago
Glad you got it fixed. As you've probably gathered, I'm a huge fan of the polymasks.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds
Scroll To Top