Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Trouble converting mkv to mp4

Trouble converting mkv to mp4 1 week, 5 days ago #238166

• Yob123
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
So I downloaded a TV show but I can only get it in mkv. I have software to watch it, but I'd rather it be in mp4 so I can more easily watch it on my TV. I downloaded Lightworks for Mac to try and convert it after I heard you could "remux" mkv to mp4. So I copied the first episode into Lightworks, and I used the export function to try and convert it. After 20 minutes or so, I got an mp4 file, but the audio sounded like an 8-bit video game being tortured. So, can anyone tell me what I did wrong? Also how can I remux the video since I hear that will actually be a lot faster (I realize now that what I did wasn't remuxing)?

Keep in mind, I have 0 experience with the software (downloaded barely an hour ago) and I have no experience whatsoever with computer programming or video editing. I'm gonna need you to explain it to me like I'm three if you can.

Please and thank you!!!!

Re: Trouble converting mkv to mp4 1 week, 5 days ago #238168

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
Hello,

Simple answer (no solution): Lightworks cannot remux (that is not the purpose of this program). If this forum writes about remuxing mkv to mp4, then these are only workarounds for using other programs for remuxing in order to be able to import the resulting mp4 file into Lightworks.
Lightworks also often imports mkv files and exports mp4 as a rendered file (not remuxed), but there are often compatibility problems with mkv files in Lightworks.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2021.1 & 2021.2 (& old 14.x , 2020.x) || Windows 10 Home, 20H2, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 1 week, 5 days ago by schrauber.

Re: Trouble converting mkv to mp4 1 week, 5 days ago #238170

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
MKV creates issues in Lightworks, so isn't the tool for the job you want.

A number of users have OBS for their recording and have to remux using that, so that they get MP4 for editing in Lightworks.

Re: Trouble converting mkv to mp4 1 week, 5 days ago #238173

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
FWIW: I've been wondering for quite a while why Lightworks allows importing any kind of MKV just to show the users that it doesn't support it well? From my point of view, some core formats should be supported and tested well, the rest should be rejected on import.

Back on topic: Converting MKV to MP4 by remuxing isn't always possible. It depends on the media formats carried in the MKV container. Converting by re-encoding is always be possible, but takes much longer. In any case, it needs third party software to convert.

If you need an advice which software to use on MacOS post the mediainfo of the video.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
Scroll To Top