Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Importing a project from another computer

Importing a project from another computer 6 days, 19 hours ago #232108

• RickyCernuus
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 days, 19 hours ago
Hello, during the last weeks i was working on a video project on another computer, I just wanted to continue to work on another computer. I copied the folder in: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Projects

and i copied in the same directory of this computer, but when i open lightowrks i cannot see the project that i'm trying to import.

Can someone help me? How can i import a project from another computer?

Thanks

Re: Importing a project from another computer 6 days, 19 hours ago #232110

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 6 days, 19 hours ago
Welcome to the forum.

The simplest method is to export an archive of the project and bring that into the Lightworks in the other computer.

Re: Importing a project from another computer 6 days, 19 hours ago #232111

• RickyCernuus
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 days, 19 hours ago
Thanks, how can I export the archive of the project? Where can I find it?

Re: Importing a project from another computer 6 days, 17 hours ago #232114

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 6 days, 17 hours ago
Archive is one of the export options available in the free version and is found in the export menu.

Re: Importing a project from another computer 6 days, 16 hours ago #232118

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 days, 16 hours ago
If you wish exporting the whole project and not just selected objects, you can use a project backup, which creates a Lightworks archive, which is a folder, of all object of the current project. Click on 'Project' up left and select Details.Make backup'. To move an archive to another computer, I'd suggest including all media:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

One additional point: From your initial post, I suspect that you run different versions of Lightworks on the two computers. Make sure that the Lightworks version/revision installed on the target computer matches the version/revision on the source computer (the version you have created the project with), in particular if Lightworks 2021 (the current beta) is involved.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Importing a project from another computer 6 days, 16 hours ago #232119

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 days, 16 hours ago
briandrys wrote:
Archive is one of the export options available in the free version and is found in the export menu.

Include Local media, Linked Media if you are using a proxy include that also.
HP Elitebook 840, 2xDell U2312HM, UbuntuStudio 20.04 LTS, Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 which works sometimes

Re: Importing a project from another computer 6 days, 15 hours ago #232124

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 6 days, 15 hours ago
hugly wrote:
I suspect that you run different versions of Lightworks on the two computers. Make sure that the Lightworks version/revision installed on the target computer matches the version/revision on the source computer (the version you have created the project with), in particular if Lightworks 2021 (the current beta) is involved.

That is really important. If you have been working with one of the beta versions and are now trying to open your project in an older Lightworks version you will not be able to. The project formats are quite different.

Re: Importing a project from another computer 2 days, 23 hours ago #232380

• skuhle
  • Edu User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 days, 23 hours ago
Hello,
i did not want to open a new thread since it seems to touch my issue.
now that i finished my first two videos (singers, 16 Video Tracks) i try to archive the stuff to free the main ssd. I tried backup, but when i restored that made backup, i saw that not all media came back. for example audio was not there. in another post i read that images where not in the backup as well. So my question is: How are you doing archiving the projects? and how can lightworks help you here?
I messed around a bit with the new beta 2021, but there is an error with the dve fx.
Backup and Archive is not a big topic in the manuals it seems to me.
I appreciate your ideas and help here.
Thanks

Re: Importing a project from another computer 2 days, 23 hours ago #232384

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 days, 23 hours ago
Hello,

Missing media after restoring a backup, which is supposed to include all media, is a serious bug. I think, it would be better discussed in a separate thread in the Bugs category. Perhaps moderators can split the thread?

To understand the nature of the problem more information is needed:

1. Which version/revision of Lightworks do you run (not the beta)?
2. Which version/revision has the project backup including all media been created with?
3. What operating system(s) do you run, on the source and the target computer?
4. Did you see any error message in the task log when creating the backup?
5. Any error message when restoring?
6. How many clips of what kind are missing after restoring the backup?
Last Edit: 2 days, 23 hours ago by hugly.

Re: Importing a project from another computer 2 days, 21 hours ago #232400

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 days, 21 hours ago
skuhle wrote:
Hello,
I tried backup, but when i restored that made backup, i saw that not all media came back. for example audio was not there. in another post i read that images where not in the backup as well. So my question is: How are you doing archiving the projects? and how can lightworks help you here?
I messed around a bit with the new beta 2021, but there is an error with the dve fx.
Backup and Archive is not a big topic in the manuals it seems to me.
I appreciate your ideas and help here.
Thanks

I am using the flexible version. I use the following method to make an archive of a project.
The top left corner is the project name with a dropdown. Its first tab a Details and at the bottom right is "Make backup" To make this usable at a later date include all the media local and linked.
When you want to use this archive again. Use "Restore an Archived Project"

It works for me
HP Elitebook 840, 2xDell U2312HM, UbuntuStudio 20.04 LTS, Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 which works sometimes

Re: Importing a project from another computer 2 days, 21 hours ago #232410

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 days, 21 hours ago
skuhle wrote:
.. i try to archive the stuff to free the main ssd. I tried backup, but when i restored that made backup, i saw that not all media came back. ..

Note also : Lightworks restores only those media which:
- Are included in the archive (online during archive creation, and enabled in the archiving options).
- Are offline at the time of restore, to avoid multiple duplicates outside the archives.
So if the media, link files to media, deleted or moved, then the timing is important.

Here I was concerned with "offline media" (all tiles present in the project content, but without content).
But if tiles are missing in the project content, then it would be a different problem.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1.1 & Beta 2021.x; || Windows 10 Home 1909, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 2 days, 21 hours ago by schrauber.

Re: Importing a project from another computer 2 days, 21 hours ago #232411

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 days, 21 hours ago
The backup issue turns out to be a bit confusing to me anyway. The OP has continued the discussion here, unfortunately with insufficient information, so far:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=562&id=232376&Itemid=81#232388

It seems to be an issue with the latest beta.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds
Scroll To Top