Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: When exporting, the rendered video text doesn't match original source file

When exporting, the rendered video text doesn't match original source file 1 week, 5 days ago #221214

Am creating an opening logo for a video series.

When I export the 7-second video, most of it looks good.
However, one line of text looks different than how it looks when inside Lightworks.

The text is white, outlined thinly in gold, with a drop shadow.

When exported, the white becomes yellowish, & the gold outline becomes thicker.
What to do?

Thanks,
Marlyn
[attachment:2]INTRO clear text.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment:3]INTRO fuzzy text.jpg[/attachment]

Re: When exporting, the rendered video text doesn't match original source file 1 week, 4 days ago #221215

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
Marlyn, for some reason the attachments aren't showing. However what may help you considerably is if you check your preview settings.

To do that, in the top left of the screen you will see your project name with a small down-pointing arrow to the right. Click on that arrow and select the video tab from the drop down menu that appears. Check that the format is set to one of the 720p settings. If it isn't, set it and check your titles again. Their appearance will have changed to match what you saw when you exported the sequence.

Why is it so? If your project settings differ from your export settings any titles that you create will be scaled to match the project settings and not compensated for by the export process. That's a known bug in the title effect. It's one of the reasons that I create most title artwork in Photoshop and import it using the image effect. That way I can produce exactly what I need and the image effect will let me scale and position the graphic to suit my needs. If you don't have Photoshop, try the The Gimp which does most of what Photoshop can, is free, and supports all three platforms that Lightworks does.

The effects engine is apparently being reworked at the moment, so hopefully this known bug will become a thing of the past.

Re: When exporting, the rendered video text doesn't match original source file 1 week, 4 days ago #221216

Thanks so much for your quick reply. Will make adjustments in the morning to see if it works. The view in the project is perfect. Am hoping a rendering that looks as good is possible.

I'll try to attach one graphic that has both examples in it.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: When exporting, the rendered video text doesn't match original source file 1 week, 4 days ago #221252

Thank you! This worked. I was able to edit so that it matched the 1080 version.

How do I know which 720p setting to use? I'll be editing mostly music videos for youtube, where I sit and play an instrument, with an occasional beauty scene or picture inbetween.

I chose 720p 30 fps. (How does this differ from 29.97?)
This graphic, which is animated (that my son built for me), says 30 when we pull it into LW.
But my son is thinking the camera we shoot footage with might be 29.97.

Re: When exporting, the rendered video text doesn't match original source file 1 week, 4 days ago #221253

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
Is your project frame rate 30 fps, or "Mixed rates"?
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: When exporting, the rendered video text doesn't match original source file 1 week, 4 days ago #221254

Just checked video camera. It's HD 1080p, with 12MP (4:3).

Re: When exporting, the rendered video text doesn't match original source file 1 week, 4 days ago #221256

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
marjensenmusic wrote:
How do I know which 720p setting to use? ... I chose 720p 30 fps. (How does this differ from 29.97?)

I'm glad that we sorted out that titling problem.

30 fps is the right setting for you to use. Unfortunately for historical reasons that are no longer valid, American TV formats used a nominal 30 fps frame rate, which was actually 29.97 frames per second. Nowadays most cameras still use that now pointless frame rate, but some apparently use 30 fps.

It can be a hidden source of sound sync issues, if the sound was recorded at 30 fps and the pictures at 29.97. It's a 0.1% difference in speed, so the clip would need to be quite long before any drift would become apparent. I don't think that in your case you would need to give it a moment's thought.

Re: When exporting, the rendered video text doesn't match original source file 1 week, 4 days ago #221257

Re: When exporting, the rendered video text doesn't match original source file 1 week, 4 days ago #221258

I just pasted in pictures.
The project is at 720p 30fps.

In the Log, the raw video says 29.97 to the right.
The intro titles says 30 to the right.

Is 30 the right setting for 720p?
My camera setting was at 1080p, but I know that's not an option in this version of LW.

Thanks for your help. This is my first project.
My son has done about a dozen, but he was guessing at some of this, too.

Re: When exporting, the rendered video text doesn't match original source file 1 week, 3 days ago #221260

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
jwrl wrote:
30 fps is the right setting for you to use.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds
Scroll To Top