Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: what is a good archival format?

what is a good archival format? 1 week, 5 days ago #221178

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
I m just working on an experimental feature and a thread from hugly (www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=12&id=217209&Itemid=81) made me think about a solid and "future proof" export format.

DPX image sequence seems to be the best resolution wise, though it is huge!!

So I would need to find a middle way between maximum quality and storage space ahndling...

The feature I am editing is shot on mixed formats from full HD AVCHD , 4k prores422, some with pro res from a bmpcc4k . it is not a hollywood expensive production at all but i still want to be able to maintain optimal quality. would a ordinary image sequence with .jpg be enough? or shall i go with dpx and fill up some harddrives for a 90min film? thanks!!

Re: what is a good archival format? 1 week, 5 days ago #221179

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
Hello,

I would think in the world of compressed media there's only one way to preserve optimal quality: Keeping the original recordings. That's the best quality you can get, no matter what you're shooting with, Alexa or webcam.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: what is a good archival format? 1 week, 5 days ago #221180

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
hugly surely this is true. and I will definitely keep the original recordings and the archived lightworks session. but I have my doubts that for example in 5 years from now, when asked to deliver some high res format for 4 k projection or whatever it will be, I can make a new export from that. with all the offline problems and backup-restore issues I got and the general downward compatibility issues of any software after a few years of updates , I would be happy to have a second backup , just as image files, that i know i could throw in the timeline of any nle and export from there.

Re: what is a good archival format? 1 week, 5 days ago #221181

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
Best way is to create a high quality master (plus backups) at the highest available resolution, from which you'll make all copies, rather than getting involved in going through the editing software. You'd only need that if asked to do a recut.

Re: what is a good archival format? 1 week, 5 days ago #221182

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
With 8-bit 4:20 and 10-bit 4:2:2 footage, the best available format for such a master in Lightworks is Cineform, which is implemented as 10-bit 4:2:2. JPEG isn't sufficient, because it has a bit depth of 8-bit.
Last Edit: 1 week, 5 days ago by hugly.

Re: what is a good archival format? 1 week, 5 days ago #221183

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
@briandrys what container and codec would you recommend for the purpose of a master ?

Re: what is a good archival format? 1 week, 5 days ago #221184

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
@hugly i wrote simultaenously to your post, thanks!

Re: what is a good archival format? 1 week, 5 days ago #221185

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
kalimerox wrote:
@briandrys what container and codec would you recommend for the purpose of a master ?

It really depends on what you want to do with the film in the market place.

Re: what is a good archival format? 1 week, 5 days ago #221186

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
briandrys wrote:
It really depends on what you want to do with the film in the market place.

Beside of DPX and Cineform, could you name a third available format, which is suitable for a 4K high quality master, please?
Last Edit: 1 week, 5 days ago by hugly.

Re: what is a good archival format? 1 week, 5 days ago #221187

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
The common other choice is ProRes, but that's not a option unless you've got encoding. However, it's probably more future proof than Cineform because of the amount of media that's been recorded using that codec series.

As a master, DPX probably makes sense for the longer term storage. You want something that's likely to be supported in 20 or 30 years.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds
Scroll To Top