Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Trying to create 25FPS slow mo from 200FPS GoPro Footage

Trying to create 25FPS slow mo from 200FPS GoPro Footage 2 weeks, 6 days ago #220819

• motosera
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 6 days ago
Hi all, I'm a new LW user, and generally getting on well with it but have hit a snag with trying to create slow mo footage from 200FPS GoPro Hero8 footage.

I understand that LW doesnt support 200FPS at all - and it think sits 240 FPS which causes all kinds of wierdness and sync issues.

How can I convert the raw GoPro footage into something usable with LW that I can create 25FP (8x reduction) slow mo from?

I know I can convert with FFMPEG but have no idea what I'm doing with command line stuff. I just want some simple way to do this.

Re: Trying to create 25FPS slow mo from 200FPS GoPro Footage 2 weeks, 6 days ago #220838

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 6 days ago
It's possible to manipulate time stamps together with frame rate conversion to create 25 fps slow motion from 200 fps and I can share a command line for doing that.

However, I don't understand exactly what that should be good for?

As soon as you do it, you can forget about synced audio, because audio running at 12.5% is useless and using it at 100% won't sync to picture, unless you speed up the picture by 8 times, which gives you what you had prior to converting.

Edit: In other words: Something like this cannot sync with in camera recorded audio. You have to treat sound separately, anyway.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 6 days ago by hugly.

Re: Trying to create 25FPS slow mo from 200FPS GoPro Footage 2 weeks, 5 days ago #220888

• motosera
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 5 days ago
Thanks.

I have 2 camera angles, both shot at 1080 200FPS from which I want to create a sequence from with a mixture of realtime and slow motion video.

LWKS thinks the clips are 240FPS - even ignoring the issue with clips appearing sped up, even in realtime playback the audio and video are out of sync

Re: Trying to create 25FPS slow mo from 200FPS GoPro Footage 2 weeks, 5 days ago #220891

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 5 days ago
Ok, I understand.

The sync issue is caused by Lightworks wrongly assuming the 200 fps video to be 240 fps while leaving the sound at normal speed.

Since you're working obviously in a 24 fps project, the simplest approach would be converting the 200 fps video to 24 fps for real time playback, without manipulating the time stamps, and using the original video for slow motion. Converting 200 fps to 24 fps can be done with Handbrake. Here you'll find the settings I usually recommend:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=166802&Itemid=81#209009

How does that sound?
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 5 days ago by hugly.

Re: Trying to create 25FPS slow mo from 200FPS GoPro Footage 2 weeks, 1 day ago #221099

• motosera
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
Hi, thanks for that it worked perfectly!

Re: Trying to create 25FPS slow mo from 200FPS GoPro Footage 1 week, 6 days ago #221165

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
Hi, glad to hear that it worked for you!

Off topic: Do you have multicam recordings, captured with phones, action cams, whatever recording gear, including in-camera recorded sound, which you can share for test purposes? If there's separately recorded audio too, even better.
Last Edit: 1 week, 6 days ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
Scroll To Top