Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Confusion with 1080p export and YouTube upload...

Re: Exporting 1080p video and the quality is terrible... 1 month ago #221297

• Chan 2426
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month ago
I will say, I have a very heavy amount of effects on the video. Like, a lot of effects. This may be bogging down my system while it is trying to export.

Re: Exporting 1080p video and the quality is terrible... 1 month ago #221299

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month ago
Chan 246 wrote:
I have a very heavy amount of effects on the video.

If that's causing the problem you can render those effects before you export, since you're a Pro user. Do it on a copy of your sequence, because Lightworks will replace the effect timeline with the rendered version.

Re: Exporting 1080p video and the quality is terrible... 1 month ago #221317

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Chan 2426 wrote:
The issue is that I am not sure if I will be able to view the Task Manager while exporting in QFHD
I recommend to open the graphical views of the Task Manager before starting the export (set the Task Manager so that it is always displayed in the foreground).

Chan 2426 wrote:
[..] When Lightworks stops responding, everything freezes and my PC may even go black for 5-10 minutes [..]

It sounds like Lightworks uses almost all memory when exporting, maybe Win 10 even has to temporarily move a lot of memory to the system drive.
Hence my suggestion to observe the task manager already if Lightworks is still reacting during the export to see if and at which timeline positions the memory usage becomes too high.
Of course a high CPU and GPU "3D" load can also slow down your system, but memory problems are in my experience more critical in terms of system instability.

Watching the task manager during the preview can help to identify timeline areas with high memory requirements. In the preview, the system loads depend on the project settings and whether you use proxies. The system load in the preview can therefore be lower than when exporting.

Chan 2426 wrote:
[..] So, I think you are asking for a screenshot of the Lightworks GPU in the Task Manager while Lightworks is not responding, right?.

The seconds before Lightworks stops responding are more important. A screenshot isn't that important either, it's more important that you watch the curve just before Lightworks stops responding. If one of the curves showing a memory usage comes very close to the maximum, then this is a system-critical state that should always be avoided, even if Lightworks is still responding.

Chan 2426 wrote:
I will say, I have a very heavy amount of effects on the video. Like, a lot of effects. This may be bogging down my system while it is trying to export.

My Artifact bur effect will also increase the GPU load.
There are some effects that are known to have an enormously increasing memory requirement, especially when keyframing (e.g. image effect, fast blur effect).
This can also depend on the version of Lightworks.

If the effects are the cause, you can try timeline rendering as jwrl suggests. Alternatively or additionally, we can check whether efficiency optimizations are possible in your effects routing.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 1 month ago by schrauber.

Re: Exporting 1080p video and the quality is terrible... 1 month ago #221376

• Chan 2426
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month ago
A few things:

1. I'd like to make a small edit to my video, by putting a short clip at the very beginning. How can I move everything to the right of the timeline together (clips, text, and music, everything. Or do they have to be moved separately? Not that important but just want to know how to do this if it is easy.)

2. What rendering settings do you guys recommend? What is the difference if i render it as an AVI, AVC-Intra, MXF, or MOV file? It is automatically at AVI. For the Compression setting, should I leave it at the default DVCPRO100 setting, or change it to Cineform, or something else? Never rendered a video before: don't want to run into another situation where I trust the default settings when they are wrong. Also, should the format settings be set 1080p or Ultra HD? Remember: I am trying to export 1080p clips in QFHD, in order to counter YouTube's compression. But as for rendering, am I supposed to select 1080 or Ultra HD in this scenario? If rendering works here and I can export in QFHD, I will not have to get you the GPU info. PRO expires in 3 days though, so I just need to render export in QFHD now. I added the artifacts blur to the project and it's completely finished (except for a small clip I mentioned at the beginning of this post.)

Re: Exporting 1080p video and the quality is terrible... 1 month ago #221377

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 month ago
The first thing. It is very easy.

In the Edit timeline - make sure all tacks are selected and place the play head at the very start

In the source viewer mark/park the section to be inserted and execute the insert command.

The V will be inserted and all other tracks moved the same amount.

Will comment further later on the others questions.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Exporting 1080p video and the quality is terrible... 1 month ago #221398

• Chan 2426
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month ago
When I do attempt to export in QFHD, should I change the project setting from 1080 (fs) to Ultra HD, or leave it at 1080? What difference would the project format setting make?

I am not trying to be rude in any way, but to tell the truth, I am running out of time, since my PRO membership expires in 2 days. I'd like to get this one video exported in QFHD before then. If somebody could answer my question about rendering settings from my the previous reply, I would appreciate that.I might even just make a copy and render it with whatever settings I think I should use because if I still can't export after rendering, then i will really be in a time crunch.

Re: Exporting 1080p video and the quality is terrible... 1 month ago #221402

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 month ago
it is prudent to work in the anticipated export format to be sure the export will look as it did on the LW interface, however it often not practical to do so on systems where computer resources fall short of ambition - so is not compulsory - one can work with lower resolution viewers but all need to be the same frame format as the intended export - generally 16:9.

In the attached .pdf please compare the two images and assess the suitability of each.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Exporting 1080p video and the quality is terrible... 1 month ago #221408

• Chan 2426
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month ago
To be honest, they both seem exactly the same to me. What exactly is the difference between the two?

Re: Exporting 1080p video and the quality is terrible... 1 month ago #221409

• Chan 2426
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Earlier, I tried exporting it in QFHD again. I tended to it for about 2 hours, and left it to sit for another two. After the first hour, my screen went grey. Not completely black; it was on, but I could only move my regular mouse cursor; nothing responded. Eventually I had to interrupt the process by shutting my computer down. It obviously did not save. I tried to render, but render all of the effects at the same time caused it to freeze for another extended period of time and then crash. Should I try to render each effect separately, or will this still not make it any easier to export in QFHD? Rendering is also new to me so I'm not 100% sure if I can even render each effect separately. I am very sorry that this is so difficult.
Last Edit: 1 month ago by Chan 2426.

Re: Exporting 1080p video and the quality is terrible... 1 month ago #221410

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
You can't always get what you want. It happens that one must accept that the limits are reached, in terms of knowledge, available resources, and time left. I have the strong impression that this discussion has reached this point.

My suggestion: Export locally to 1080p24 with a bitrate according to this table. Watch the result closely, does it look fine? If it does not, you have reached the limits of your sources with the used effects and that's it. If it looks fine, upload to Youtube and compare. If it doesn't look fine on Youtube, you have reached the limits of the Youtube encoders. In this case upscaling the exported file with third party software to 2160p48 prior to upload can help. If you come thus far I can share a suitable ffmpeg command line.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 month ago by hugly.

Re: Exporting 1080p video and the quality is terrible... 1 month ago #221412

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 month ago
The image on the right is the original animation file imported as copy local - to simply play that in LW requires these CPU resources

Exporting the original file as a LW .avi using these settings default (If necessary the data rate can be increased)

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

and importing that back it into LW - the result it is the image on the left and requires these resources to play it in LW

Of course the file size is larger but as the observation is 'they look identical' - perhaps there is some chance of having enough grunt in the subject laptop to be be able to cope with a substantial VFX load when exporting in 1080p.

There are multiple other LW codecs one might test - but as time is short and as the use a higher quality codec in these tests has not diminished the original material - perhaps abandon the very-risky-without-adequate-hardware QFHD experiment.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Exporting 1080p video and the quality is terrible... 1 month ago #221414

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
RWAV, referring to the suggested export settings, I wonder how did you work around or fix the bug on Matrox export with Lightworks 2020.1?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Exporting 1080p video and the quality is terrible... 1 month ago #221458

• Chan 2426
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Alright, so I did as the moderator suggested. I put the .avi version back into Lightworks, and it saved in QFHD. Combining that with the artifacts blur effect, my video is great now!

Hugly,

I am aware that, "you can't always get what you want..." I was experimenting with possibilities and trying to see if I could find a way to save my video in 4k. The only reason why I bought an entire month of Pro was to save the video in 4k. It was that important to me. I was seeking help by creating this forum, but no one HAS TO help me. I am a perfectionist, as well as a beginner in Lightworks, so I was also trying to learn along the way to prevent future hassles. I have only worked with Windows Movie Maker for about 2 years. I had a YT hiatus for another 2, and downloaded Lightworks so I could have a more modern software for my editing. Everything here was new to me, which is why i made so many mistakes. Does that make sense?

I am glad that this forum has finally come to a conclusion. HUGE thanks to everybody who posted. I'm so sorry that it was so difficult; like I said, this was also a learning process for me... I hope this does not discourage anyone from helping me with any potential future questions I may have. God Bless, and have a great day everyone.

Re: Exporting 1080p video and the quality is terrible... 1 month ago #221460

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Good to read that you are satisfied with the result.
Have you uploaded the video yet, and is it also good on YouTube in 4k ?

Chan 2426 wrote:
[..] Combining that with the artifacts blur effect [..]

Because the effect still has prototype status, I would be interested in your experiences.
For example: Effect settings, in which cases the effect had advantages, in which cases the effect did not produce the hoped-for results, etc.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: Exporting 1080p video and the quality is terrible... 1 month ago #221465

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month ago
Chan 2426 wrote:
I am aware that, "you can't always get what you want..." I was experimenting with possibilities and trying to see if I could find a way to save my video in 4k ... I'm so sorry that it was so difficult; like I said, this was also a learning process for me.

Chan 2426, you never need to apologise for asking questions on these forums. The only way that any of us have learned anything about this software is by asking questions. Glad that you seem to have resolved your issues.
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds
Scroll To Top