Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Different Framerate Videos not uploading

Different Framerate Videos not uploading 3 months, 1 week ago #214843

• Liung
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
This has been an absolute nightmare, I've been looking through SO MANY help threads but either:

- The problem described doesn't seem to quite match mine, and the solution does nothing
- The thread seems to have been from years ago and I literally cannot find the options the solution describes in my current version of Lightworks
- The language used in the solution is so technical that I literally can't understand what it's saying

I am woefully ignorant about what codecs, framerates, resolution, transcoding, and all this stuff even MEANS. I've been trying to read up but it's just so dense and impenetrable for someone who has no background in this.

I had one project I was working on, and then decided to start another project that would use a lot of the same clips as the other one. I thought, hey, rather than make a new project and have to hunt down and make subclips of the exact same videos, I'll just make another sequence in the same project and still have access to all the same imported files! (I found out later during my search for answers that there's apparently a way to send bin contents to a different project, however that isn't working either, more on that later.)

If I click on the project name and go to the "video" tab it says the output format is 1080p (sf) 24fps.

Then I started importing more videos and everything went to hell. Most of the videos I have are taken by other people, on various cameras. So I had NO IDEA that all these other factors mattered--an MP4 is an MP4, right? Why would I have to worry about one MP4 file working and another one not, RIGHT??

This video works fine in this project, and so do others from the same camera.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

It was hard to tell at the time because most of these videos are underwater, but this video and ones like it import such that the audio sounds normal, but the video plays in slow motion. I wasn't too fussed about this for the original project, slomo underwater looks nice.

Then I started trying to import this video, which is 3+ min long, and more than half of it is above water, so I actually noticed that the audio wasn't matching the video even a little. Also, it would only import 1 minute of the video. Since the video was playing in slow motion, that meant only a tiny fraction of it was actually being imported, and since I needed the bit at the end and that wasn't even making it into LW... my search for answers started.

I tried lots of things, nothing worked for the reasons listed above, finally the only solution that worked... was someone saying that it needed to be imported into a project with a matching framerate. Okay, fine, whatever, new project. Videoclip says it's 59fps, start a new project with 60fps. Video imports and plays just fine. I find the thread that explains how to use the Bins menu to move a collection of imported files to a different project, great--"Problems copying Bin to new project".

ALRIGHT FINE can't make my life easy that's okay I can just re import the files, I know where they all are this will take unnecessary amounts of extra time but I can--navigating to the folder where the files I want are, the thumbnails are all greyed out and the rate "47.95" is written in red. WHY?!

Okay, start searching how to import videos with different framerates in. Most people saying that a project with 24fps will fix that, but obviously I know it won't because I'll be able to import these videos but some of them will not have the video and audio properly synced up. (Actually I'm not using the audio on most of these videos, so that's less an issue, except for the part where the slower video means it's cut off when the audio ends but the video doesn't.) Finally I find a thread that says, "When you create a new project, select mixed, that's what it's for, making projects with mixed framerate videos!"

GREAT! I go do that!! I import the GOPR3868 file! And... same problem as the original. I look at the project details and it says the project is 24fps.

Trying to look for the answer on my own has been more frustrating than the problem itself. When I started reading about how to fix the problems with differing frame rates, someone said to check the box for "Apply VFR Correction" in project details under the video tab--that option doesn't even EXIST in my program. And I found that same instruction when I was reading the v14.5.0 user guide, where it provided a picture of the menu that doesn't match mine!

I've hit a problem, tried to find an answer on my own, and every solution I found that was either up to date, decipherable by someone who isn't hugely well-versed in all the technical details of what is happening, AND actually had a noticeable effect... brought me to a full circle back to the same problem I started with.

Pls send help. This media file noob is thoroughly stumped. I made sure to get the MediaInfo results on the files I'm using, hopefully it is enlightening. I'm just going to sit here muttering "but they're all MP4s?! What does all this MEAN?!?! I don't wanna go back to Windows Movie Maker!!"
Canadian!

Windows 8.1
Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz,
64-bit OS
Lightworks 14.5.0

Re: Different Framerate Videos not uploading 3 months, 1 week ago #214844

• Liung
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
UGH, just realized I titled this with "uploading" instead of "importing". Oops.
Canadian!

Windows 8.1
64-bit OS
Lightworks 14.5.0

Re: Different Framerate Videos not uploading 3 months, 1 week ago #214846

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Hello,

It appears as if you're still running Lightworks V14.0. This version is outdated and has a long list of ugly issues which have been fixed with the current stable release V14.5, and even version 2020 is to be released soon, with even more bug fixes and enhancements.

The first thing I'd suggest, restart your computer and upgrade to V14.5.

For a truly fluent editing experience, make yourself familiar with the internal proxy workflow:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=217&id=194770&Itemid=81#194787
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Different Framerate Videos not uploading 3 months, 1 week ago #215011

• Liung
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
The videos are now all working properly on the 24fps projects, THANK YOU

However, the program itself seems to be crashing more. Before and now, I’ll be doing something, and it will work fine, and then I do it slightly differently and the program crashes and keeps crashing. Before the update, putting in a 12 frame dissolve transition worked fine but a 20 frame made it continuously crash, had to put in a 12 frame and manually extend it.

Now, it really hates me trying to transfer a particular bin to another project.

Annoying but I can work around that... should it start crashing over something really important, how do I look at the crash logs? I followed the instructions of the same post that talks about how to use MediaInfo, and only found a txt file that seemed to have recorded all the program’s actions for a very long period of time, but nothing I would have thought was a crash log.
Canadian!

Windows 8.1
64-bit OS
Lightworks 14.5.0

Re: Different Framerate Videos not uploading 3 months, 1 week ago #215038

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
There's no documentation on the Lightworks crash logs. I think they are supposed to be used by Lightworks staff. Based on some experience, not all events which appear like a crash are logged.

Long GOP media are not well suitable for video editing. The instability when applying dissolves might indicate that you're running an underpowered machine for the media you're using. Try the internal proxy workflow I've linked to above and see if it fixes the problem.

Re: Different Framerate Videos not uploading 3 months ago #215184

• Liung
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months ago
I've squinted at the post you directed me to about proxies, and I think I understand--a proxy is a low res copy of the original media, and then while editing and playing back your work LW is playing the low res, low demand proxy copy of the files, but retains the connection back to the original file so that when you finally export the project as a finished product, what's actually used are the full res original files. Is that correct?

And then I think it's saying that, if you select the setting for playback media quality to be "lowest available", any videos you import will automatically have proxies made? (That's what I'm taking from the "set and forget" comment, and when I try it, it consistently says "proxy creation failed" as I import things which I take to mean it's trying to make proxies of everything???) And then for files you've already imported, you gotta right click and make proxies.

How do you tell if a clip in the project contents has been made into a proxy or not? I can kinda tell if I right click and instead of saying "make proxy" the option is "delete proxy". Also, I'm having really weird error messages. I tried making a proxy yesterday in a different project, and a loading bar appeared in tasks and it seemed to have worked. Now I'm trying again, and the make proxies option doesn't seem to be select-able on any of my clips.

I just created a new project using the "mixed frame" option, and it already has "lowest available" selected

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

The proxies panel is preset to this

I imported a video file, couldn't select the make proxy option but now I can and I think it's because there was a "transcode" task loading. But then, as I began importing some more files, it kept giving me errors. The files are all importing properly, and once the video files finish transcoding I can select the make proxy option and that also seems to work properly... But these errors keep popping up as I'm importing files and I'm unsure if I can ignore them.

Canadian!

Windows 8.1
64-bit OS
Lightworks 14.5.0

Re: Different Framerate Videos not uploading 3 months ago #215188

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months ago
I'm a friend of answering questions and solving problems step by step.

Could you please summarize your most important question or problem in one single sentence please?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds
Scroll To Top