Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: NotchLC - a new GPU assisted Intermediate/Deliverable codec for PC & Mac

NotchLC - a new GPU assisted Intermediate/Deliverable codec for PC & Mac 1 month, 1 week ago #213333

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Now that NotchLC supports Mac too, have the Developers looked at integrating this fast, GPU powered codec into Lightworks?

www.redsharknews.com/production/item/7016-notchlc-gpu-powered-intermediary-and-playback-codec-now-supports-macos

notchlc.notch.one/
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770
System SSD, 16TB Internal RAID 0, Cache SSD
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Maxwell GPU
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 15 with OxygenTec ProPanel
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
2 x 24" HD GUI, 24" 10bit Rec.709 IPS Monitor
12G Decklink 4K SDI Pro>HD-Link Pro>Display Port
Sony 55" X9005B 4K Client Monitor
Sony Super 35 HD camera with Atomos ProRes Recorder
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/I-Rig XLR Phantom preamp
HDvideo4K.com
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by Craig Marshall.

Re: NotchLC - a new GPU assisted Intermediate/Deliverable codec for PC & Mac 1 month, 1 week ago #213339

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
It doesn't appear to have Linux support. It can't be a standard if it doesn't, and is (currently) tied to Adobe products. Maybe the SDK is portable to Linux, but that's by no means clear.

Re: NotchLC - a new GPU assisted Intermediate/Deliverable codec for PC & Mac 1 month, 1 week ago #213344

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
at the end of the article it sais:

"One interesting note is, while NotchLC is for Adobe products, the company offers a ‘fully documented SDK’ to other software developers."

I wonder if that means either notchlc is limited to adobe, or it can be ported to any other software..?

Re: NotchLC - a new GPU assisted Intermediate/Deliverable codec for PC & Mac 1 month, 1 week ago #213345

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
This redshark article sound a bit like promo in my ears.

My personal opinion on this is, missing Linux support is (would be) a no-go for implementing it. I think, hardware acceleration for h.264/h.265 and 10-bit export for both, together with reasonable support of HDR workflows is overdue. That's because this has major impact to mainstream and many others provide it already.

NotchLC is a quite exotic intermediate. I found a comparison with competing codecs here:

dandelion-burdock.com/articles/10bit-workflow-viability

They provide their test content for download, a 10 GB collection of encoder's nightmare in 10-bit DPX .
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: NotchLC - a new GPU assisted Intermediate/Deliverable codec for PC & Mac 1 month, 1 week ago #213346

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
What is particularly interesting is their assessment of DNxHR versus ProRes. That was unexpected to say the least, and based on their test regime, hard to argue with. Their interest in NotchLC in their final conclusion was based more on future potential than current performance. We'll see.

But boy it would be nice to have some stability in codecs.

kalimerox wrote:
at the end of the article it sais:

"One interesting note is, while NotchLC is for Adobe products, the company offers a ‘fully documented SDK’ to other software developers."

I wonder if that means either notchlc is limited to adobe, or it can be ported to any other software..?

They need other developers to port it because without that happening it can never be a standard. Giving away the SDK increases the chances of that happening.
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by jwrl.

Re: NotchLC - a new GPU assisted Intermediate/Deliverable codec for PC & Mac 1 month, 1 week ago #213349

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
I was surprised how poorly ProRes 422 performed in those test results. Those Mac guys in the US can be so 'blinkered' when it comes to their beloved codec demands.

An early film I shot on AVCHD was transcoded to and then Mastered to DPX. When I look back at it now, I'm surprised how well it still holds up against later work captured directly to ProRes 422.
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
HDvideo4K.com

Re: NotchLC - a new GPU assisted Intermediate/Deliverable codec for PC & Mac 1 month, 1 week ago #213357

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
I've never understood how a codec family can become a standard when the manufacturer of that codec does their utmost to deny access to anyone but their own users. It's even harder to understand when that codec is based on a whitepaper produced by another company that also produces a similar codec family based on that work, and who does make it widely available.

But back to NotchLC: I agree with hugly when he says "This redshark article sound a bit like promo in my ears." I could be completely wrong, but it absolutely reeks of marketing department influence to me.

Re: NotchLC - a new GPU assisted Intermediate/Deliverable codec for PC & Mac 1 month, 1 week ago #213361

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
jwrl wrote:
But back to NotchLC: I agree with hugly when he says "This redshark article sound a bit like promo in my ears." I could be completely wrong, but it absolutely reeks of marketing department influence to me.

As a regular RedShark contributor, I know for certain that any article submitted for publication that is deemed advertising, ie: paid for by the submitter, is clearly labelled [Sponsored] in the article header.
HDvideo4K.com

Re: NotchLC - a new GPU assisted Intermediate/Deliverable codec for PC & Mac 1 month, 1 week ago #213362

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
And I have seen articles written by apparently disinterested third parties that have been carefully steered by marketing and are anything but balanced. It does look like there's an element of puffery in that article.

Some years back I went to a "balanced" assessment of the use of Media Composer, Lightworks and Premiere by a well-regarded local supplier of all three. The test was apparently aimed at establishing which was better in a news gathering role. The Media Composer user was not allowed to use a feature of MC which would have allowed them to edit directly while digitising, the Lightworks user was not allowed a console (and as it subsequently transpired had never actually used LW before in any case), while the Premiere user could use any features of the software that they wished.

And surprise, surprise! The Premiere system beat both others hands down, with Lightworks coming a dismal last. The reason advanced for crippling MC and LW was that it wasn't a fair comparison if they used functions that Premiere didn't offer. That appears on the face of it to be a reasonable argument, but by deliberately denying MC and LW things that were designed to assist in this role it was in fact denying them the use of the one thing that would have made the comparisons valid. There are a lot of ways that you can structure an assessment while appearing balanced.

In the case of the test that I mentioned it had one unintended effect on me: from that point on I transferred any post production purchases I made from that local well regarded company to Videoguys (US). The local company still sends me emails because I'm obviously still on their books, but they've never had another cent out of me. Nor will they. You will never convince me that Adobe marketing wasn't behind that whole exercise, although it was never declared.

Re: NotchLC - a new GPU assisted Intermediate/Deliverable codec for PC & Mac 1 month, 1 week ago #213379

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Yes, I'm happy to acknowledge Adobe 'promoted' the article prior to it's publication by RSN but if Adobe had 'paid' RSN to publish the article, that fact would/should have been cited by the magazine.

BTW, the amount of taxpayers money 'wasted' on Adobe and Panasonic equipment at our local High School by well meaning but ignorant 'Art' teachers (who are no longer employed) is a scandal IMO.
HDvideo4K.com
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by Craig Marshall.

Re: NotchLC - a new GPU assisted Intermediate/Deliverable codec for PC & Mac 1 month, 1 week ago #213383

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
I don't dispute that it wasn't directly paid for. But I strongly suspect Adobe marketing in the equation somewhere. I cited the example above because the company that staged the demonstration insisted that Adobe weren't involved in that demonstration either. But the conditions of the test were too obviously slanted towards Adobe not to have been engineered however subtly by Adobe marketing.

There's more to selling to education than meets the eye. If you can sell it to the schools there's a fair chance that the students will become customers for life. Back in the early days of Lightworks I tried to persuade OLE to aggressively market to schools the way that Avid was at the time - no one was interested. Who knows? They may still have been owned by OLE if they had done that.

But we're getting seriously OT here.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.51 seconds
Scroll To Top