Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Gimp .png transparency not working with Lightworks v14.5.0.0

The Gimp .png transparency not working with Lightworks v14.5.0.0 4 weeks, 1 day ago #207561

I am using v14.5.0.0 on Windows 10.

If I add an Image Key and specify a .png file the transparent background is not handled correctly. What should be transparent ends up as a white background. The .png shows correctly (with transparent background) in other apps - including Windows image viewer.
The .png was created using The Gimp. Further if I export the image from The Gimp as a .tif file then Lightworks handles the transparency fine.
I attached the .png and .tif files in question.

No idea where the issue is (Lightworks/The Gimp) but hopefully the .tif option will help others.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: The Gimp .png transparency not working with Lightworks v14.5.0.0 4 weeks, 1 day ago #207562

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 weeks, 1 day ago
Lightworks V14.5 doesn't show transparency as a pattern on clip viewers or tiles. It shows black. To make transparency visible, you have to create a composite in the timeline with effects like Image key or DVE.
I've justed tested that with the attached image and it works.

With V14.6, the current beta release, this has changed. It shows transparency on viewers and tiles like this:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 4 weeks, 1 day ago by hugly.

Re: The Gimp .png transparency not working with Lightworks v14.5.0.0 4 weeks, 1 day ago #207577

But as I said I am using an Image key - and if I replace the image with the tif all is well.

Were you using windows in your test?

Re: The Gimp .png transparency not working with Lightworks v14.5.0.0 4 weeks, 1 day ago #207580

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 weeks, 1 day ago
Yes, I'm using Windows 10.

The screenshot above is from V14.6 - below V14.5 - both with the original PNG you've posted earlier:

Last Edit: 4 weeks, 1 day ago by hugly.

Re: The Gimp .png transparency not working with Lightworks v14.5.0.0 4 weeks, 1 day ago #207601

Thanks for your time checking this for me. What you show does not match my experience. Tomorrow I will post my version of what you show.
Thanks again, Tony

Re: The Gimp .png transparency not working with Lightworks v14.5.0.0 4 weeks, 1 day ago #207611

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 weeks, 1 day ago
Here's my test of the same thing on 14.5. This is an actual size section of a screen grab from a 1920 x 1080 project. The only problem that I can see is that there is a little white bleed around the edges of the graphic. Since that's also visible when I open it in Photoshop, it's obviously not a Lightworks problem.

Last Edit: 4 weeks, 1 day ago by jwrl.

Re: The Gimp .png transparency not working with Lightworks v14.5.0.0 4 weeks ago #207637

I did some more investigation and I think I have found the problem.
I started a brand new project and failed to reproduce my problem. So I thought through the steps I took and did some experiments. The key here is that my initial .png did not have transparency. So I edited the image using The Gimp (not relevant - any image program would do) to add the transparency. Then went back to Lightworks and on the existing Image Key I 'changed' the file - but selected the same filename. The list of files displayed (including thumbnails) showed the changed file - now with transparency. However I suspect that because I selected the same filename Lightworks did not in fact change the file and kept the old one - without transparency. Maybe it is using cached image data?
Anyway the net result is that the image did not change in the video - until I changed the filename to the .tif file - then it all worked - hence my incorrect summary that .tif worked and .png doesn't.
Does this make sense now?
Regards Tony

Re: The Gimp .png transparency not working with Lightworks v14.5.0.0 4 weeks ago #207655

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 weeks ago
Thanks for letting us know.

That behaviour would most likely be connected to the way that you had imported the original image. Importing the graphic has built a new media file that Lightworks would refer to rather than the original file. If you had used image key you wouldn't have seen the problem, since that effect refers to the original file at all times. When using that, if you alter the original file the change will immediately be visible in Lightworks.

Re: The Gimp .png transparency not working with Lightworks v14.5.0.0 4 weeks ago #207674

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 weeks ago
Yes that makes sense.

Tank you for the feedback.

Re: The Gimp .png transparency not working with Lightworks v14.5.0.0 4 weeks ago #207682

I never said I had previously loaded the file into the project. I had only used Image Keys. I made a short video which shows the issue. See attached.
IMO this is a bug in that LW is not recognising that the file has changed.
Once you know about it, it is easy to work around but, like me, the first time you see it it appears that png transparency does not work - when in fact it works fine.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: The Gimp .png transparency not working with Lightworks v14.5.0.0 4 weeks ago #207683

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 weeks ago
Amazing. I've never tried to change the content of a file linked to the image effect while Lightworks is running.

Lightworks has to read the file into a buffer in order to display. It appears that it isn't aware of the change of content and thus, it doesn't update the buffer. I'm surpised that the file isn't locked for write access, as with regularly imported material.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
Scroll To Top