• Page:

TOPIC: Import of AVI Codec DVCPRO failed

Import of AVI Codec DVCPRO failed 2 weeks, 3 days ago #207084

• stretchnail
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 3 days ago
Hi,

I tried to import some AVI files into Lightworks 14.5.0.0. But Lightworks simply says "Format unsupported". As the docu shows that DVCAM / DVCPRO 25 is supported, I would expect this is working: (see www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102&Itemid=213)

Some details of one of the files are attached. These files came from a Sony Digicam, but where cutted with some other program years ago.

PS: I know that there are some ways to transcode video files like ffmpeg or HandBrake. But unfortunately they have all problems with one of the files (which can be played e.g. with "Filme & TV" on Win10 without problems). So I want to try, if Lightworks can be used to convert the file. But I can not import any of my AVIs, even those that can be easily converted with ffmpeg or HandBrake.

Thanks for any help!
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 3 days ago by stretchnail.

Import of AVI Codec DVCPRO failed 2 weeks, 3 days ago #207091

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 3 days ago
Hello,

Unfortunately, DV has turned out to be a critical format. Most problems of that kind are caused by the generating program writing data streams not-compliant to the Lightworks AVI demuxer. If files transcoded with ffmpeg or Handbrake don't work with Lightworks, you have chosen unsuitable settings. However, I wouldn't transcode in first place, remuxing might be sufficient.

Please try remuxing from AVI to AVI with the command line template below and see what happens:
ffmpeg -i <in>.avi -c copy -y <out>.avi

If it doesn't work with some of your files, try remuxing AVI to MOV:
ffmpeg -i <in>.avi -c copy -y <out>.mov
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 3 days ago by hugly.

Re: Import of AVI Codec DVCPRO failed 2 weeks, 2 days ago #207188

• stretchnail
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
Thanks for your answer.

Indeed, remuxing to AVI or MOV works for some of the avi files. These can then be imported into Lightworks.

Unfortunately, remuxing the problematic video file will stop at the same time frame as ffmpeg and Handbrake will stop if I try to convert it into MP4. And the result has corrupt audio and video signal.

Something seems to be corrupt in this avi file as all converters, remuxers, etc. will stop at the same time frame. But again, the file can be played e.g. with "Filme & TV" on Win10 without problems.

Has anyone an idea, how to repair or convert the avi file?
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 2 days ago by stretchnail.

Re: Import of AVI Codec DVCPRO failed 2 weeks, 2 days ago #207190

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
The most obvious explanation for this behaviour could be that "Filme & TV" simply ignores and skips some errors in the stream, whereas the other decoders stop working.

If true, the only remaining chance you have, except of a screen capture of "Filme & TV", is finding some (maybe older version of a) software which skips those error as well when remuxing/converting. Give ffmbc-0.7.4-x64 a shot, downloadable from a link in the very last post of this discussion ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2066

To remux AVI to MOV use this:
ffmbc.exe -i <in>.avi -vcodec copy -acodec copy -y <out>.mov

Re: Import of AVI Codec DVCPRO failed 2 weeks, 2 days ago #207204

• stretchnail
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
Thanks again for your help.

Using ffmbc to remux the problematic avi to mov produces a file with correct audio and full length - it has not stopped as ffmpeg! Unfortunately, video signal is still corrupt.

So I tried to use ffmbc to convert directly to MP4 (which is my initial intention)
ffmbc-0.7.4-x64.exe -i <in>.avi <out>.mp4

This produces a usable mp4 video with correct audio and video, but the video quality is very low as it uses a low bit rate of 443 kb/s. Other files I converted using ffmpeg use bit rates of approx. 3000 kb/s. I assume, I have to check the long list of options of ffmbc to get a better result. If you have another tip for me, I would be glad to get it.

Thanks again, with ffmbc I got further than ever before.

Re: Import of AVI Codec DVCPRO failed 2 weeks, 2 days ago #207223

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
Remuxing has the benefit that it's lightning fast and it's lossless, because id doesn't re-encode, but if it doesn't work, try this with the critical file(s):

ffmbc -i <in>.avi -vf yadif -vcodec mpeg2video -pix_fmt yuv422p -intra -qscale 1 -qmin 1 -aspect 4:3 -acodec mp2 -ar 48000 -ab 384k -y <out>.mp4

It deinterlaces the video stream and encodes to MPEG2 at max. quality with I-frames only and MP2 audio in a MP4 container. This format is well suitable for video editing, but you won't be able to play it with Film&Video or WMP, but with VLC media player and MPC.

Unfortunately, the h.264 encoder of ffmbc is really old fashioned and I'm not sure, even with meaningful settings, if it will create a properly working format for editing. If you wish trying h.264 nevertheless, I can post a command line to test with, but first, please try if the above creates a valid result, properly playing in a 25 fps project in Lightworks.
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 2 days ago by hugly.

Re: Import of AVI Codec DVCPRO failed 2 weeks, 1 day ago #207254

• stretchnail
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
Many thanks again.

Your posted command works, the result is the complete video and in equivalent quality as the avi. It cannot be play with "Filme & TV", but with VLC and Lightworks.

h.264 would be great. Do you think it is best to convert the avi using the old fashioned encoder of ffmbc, or using ffmpeg with the now created MPEG2?

Re: Import of AVI Codec DVCPRO failed 2 weeks, 1 day ago #207256

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
MPEG 2 is better for editing.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit

Re: Import of AVI Codec DVCPRO failed 2 weeks, 1 day ago #207268

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
stretchnail wrote:
h.264 would be great. Do you think it is best to convert the avi using the old fashioned encoder of ffmbc, or using ffmpeg with the now created MPEG2?

In the meantime, I made some tests with the x264 encoder of ffmbc. It's not only outdated, but the implementation appears experimental to me. It reacts differently to well documented x264 presets, the default bit depth and pixel format don't make sense and ffmbc lacks detailed documentation on that. In other words, I would not recommend using ffmbc to create h.264/AAC.MP4, neither as format for editing nor for delivery.

Personally, for editing with the Pro version, I'd use the remuxed DV files for all material which create valid results when remuxing, convert the rest to MPEG2-Intra (not deinterlaced) and export to NTSC 4:3 480i29.97 (interlaced), for best possible results. However, when exporting with the Free version, my approach would be different: I would convert all material to MPEG2-Intra deinterlaced, prior to editing.
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 1 day ago by hugly.

Re: Import of AVI Codec DVCPRO failed 2 weeks, 1 day ago #207280

• stretchnail
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
Thank you again very much. I think I know now how to do my next steps.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds
Scroll To Top