Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Video and audio slip out of synch?

Video and audio slip out of synch? 2 months, 3 weeks ago #204285

• gljudson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
I have a very straightforward edit: an 18-plus minute video from which I cut two small portions and inserted a dissolve to blend in each case.

When I export, after the SECOND cut-and-dissolve, the video and audio are very slightly, but annoyingly, out of synch.

Did I do something to cause this?

Is there something I can do to fix it, or do I need to re-edit the original video and hope I don't create the problem again?

Thank you!

Re: Video and audio slip out of synch? 2 months, 3 weeks ago #204286

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
the problem could be the if there is variable fps. what is the original file format?

does this also happen when you transcode the files (to cineform for example) when importing?

Re: Video and audio slip out of synch? 2 months, 3 weeks ago #204287

• gljudson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
Hm. Original format is 25fps, exporting to 50fps.

I'm sorry, but your second question is Greek! Should I try the import again and re-edit to see what happens?

Re: Video and audio slip out of synch? 2 months, 3 weeks ago #204290

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
Could you post your computer details and a Mediainfo report of your footage, please? Here you'll find instructions on how to create and post Mediainfo reports:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=66072&Itemid=81#66072
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Video and audio slip out of synch? 2 months, 3 weeks ago #204291

• gljudson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
First - the link to download that's on the Downloads / Tools page doesn't end up actually installing anything. I got a lot of warning messages from my security system, and finally gave up and went to the SourceForge page here: sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

I've attached the metadata report.

Computer is running Windows 7 Home Premium, 8gb memory. YES, I do need a new computer ... AND I've edited a number of videos with Lightworks before and not had this problem.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Video and audio slip out of synch? 2 months, 3 weeks ago #204292

• gljudson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
p.s. This is the MediaInfo analysis of the output file - I assume that's what you wanted?

Re: Video and audio slip out of synch? 2 months, 3 weeks ago #204293

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
Strange, I see only some Google adds on the offcial Mediainfo homepage. Anyway, if you had trouble with your security system, good that you've have found it on SourceForge.

Yes, basically that's the requested format. However, the format looks very similar, not exactly identical, to a file exported with Lightworks.

Is that your footage, the imported file, and how has it been created?

Re: Video and audio slip out of synch? 2 months, 3 weeks ago #204295

• gljudson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
Ooops, sorry, I thought you meant to get the MediaInfo for the exported file.

Here's the info for the source file. I do see that it says variable bit rate, but constant frame rate???

I hope I'm clear that the problem only shows up AFTER the second clip edited out of the video.

THANK YOU!
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Video and audio slip out of synch? 2 months, 3 weeks ago #204298

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
Thank you.

From technical data the video appears to be ok. Variable bitrate is well supported, anyway, and V14.5 supports even variable frame rate. However, metadata can be wrong.

If you can exclude operational issues, like trimming the audio unintentionally out of sync, try converting with most recent Handbrake 1.2.2. Use the preset "Production>>Standard". With Lightworks shut down, replace the original file with the converted (same location, name, extension), export and see what happens.
Last Edit: 2 months, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Video and audio slip out of synch? 2 months, 3 weeks ago #204311

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
Hej gljudson,

on import you have 3 options: create link , copy local, or transcode. there are these options you can click on right next to the import button.

just as a wild guess i was saying you can try to go with transcode, and while importing the original file gets transcoded to a new file format, instead of lightworks just creating a link to the original source file.

this helped me in the past sometimes with strange video behaviour..

Re: Video and audio slip out of synch? 2 months, 2 weeks ago #204477

• gljudson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
THANK YOU to all who posted ideas and helped.

I figured it out. It was, of course, user error. This Lightworks newbie made multiple edits around a dissolve, which set the tracks out of sequence.

Now I know (AHEM!) what those little tiny red numbers mean around the cut segments...

Problem solved! thank you all again.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds
Scroll To Top