Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Transcoding an old camera codec to something workable?

Transcoding an old camera codec to something workable? 5 days, 12 hours ago #203053

• Cato Elder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 days, 12 hours ago
Hi,

I have some old video footage that I need converted to a proper editing format. The specs are here.
pastebin.com/b1Z8Y0b7

What format should I transcode this to make it usable so I can edit it properly with a video editor? Should I adjust the frame rate and aspect ratio as well? Can it be done?

At the end, it is supposed to go to Youtube, but I want to be able to fix/restore this footage. I may need to clean the videos up as well, make them less grainy and fix what I can. Whatever format or codec that will give me the most flexibility.

Re: Transcoding an old camera codec to something workable? 5 days, 12 hours ago #203055

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 days, 12 hours ago
Welcome to the forum.

The traditional method with Lightworks would be to use Eyeframe to convert your old video to a standard frame rate etc.

Alternately, you can use Handbrake, there are settings here: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=166802&Itemid=81

Re: Transcoding an old camera codec to something workable? 5 days, 11 hours ago #203057

• Cato Elder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 days, 11 hours ago
Hi.

Thank you for responding.

I am afraid I am not sure what to do. 1) Would you change the frame rate? 2) Aspect ratio? 3) What codec would you suggest? There are quite a few videos, so does this Eyeframe do batch processing?

Re: Transcoding an old camera codec to something workable? 5 days, 11 hours ago #203059

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 days, 11 hours ago
You need to change the frame rate to a standard one, either 25fp or 30 fps will do.

Both of those programs will transcode to an editable codec. Not you don't need to use the proxy Eyeframe method, the full resolution will be fine.

I don't think the latter does batch imports, although you could try it and see what happen.

Re: Transcoding an old camera codec to something workable? 5 days, 10 hours ago #203065

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 days, 10 hours ago
Cato Elder wrote:
I am afraid I am not sure what to do. 1) Would you change the frame rate? 2) Aspect ratio? 3) What codec would you suggest? There are quite a few videos, so does this Eyeframe do batch processing?

1. Yes, I'd suggest doubling the frame rate to 30 fps.

2. Aspect ratio is 4:3. That's fine. With the free version export is limited to 16:9 up to 720p and you'll see black bars left and right, which is also fine, because most displays nowadays have 16:9 aspect ratio - even if the video would be exported in 4:3, you would see black bars in full screen mode. Changing aspect ratio means either cropping, or padding or stretching, or a combination of those and I think that isn't what you wish to see.

3. You can use Handbrake to convert to AVC/AAC.MP4, as suggested. You can use also use Eyframe Converter to convert to MPEG2-IFrame HD (for example) with proxies disabled. Both support frame rate conversion and batch processing. Eyeframe creates more fluently editable results, but larger files.

Hope that helps.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 5 days, 10 hours ago by hugly.

Re: Transcoding an old camera codec to something workable? 5 days, 8 hours ago #203067

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 days, 8 hours ago
An add-on to the above, based on this information.

Cato Elder wrote:
At the end, it is supposed to go to Youtube, but I want to be able to fix/restore this footage. I may need to clean the videos up as well, make them less grainy and fix what I can. Whatever format or codec that will give me the most flexibility.

If you wish playing in the professional league of video codecs, you can create ProRes HQ with Eyeframe Converter.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Conversion to ProRes HQ is slow and it will create even larger files. When converting to PreRes HQ with Eyeframe Converter (final 1.8.1), it will show an error message on the very end of the conversion process, which in fact is false positive and refers only to the internally created thumbnail. It can be safely ignored.

However, If you intend hitting your footage with some kind of denoiser anyway, which are very destuctive to image content, it doesn't make much sense to preserve as much detail as possible when converting, and AVC with some average quality settings might be the right choice for you.
Last Edit: 5 days, 8 hours ago by hugly.

Re: Transcoding an old camera codec to something workable? 5 days, 6 hours ago #203069

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 days, 6 hours ago
MJPEG is not obsolete. But your video is only 15FPS, too low a frame rate.

Have you tried to import it into Lightworks? It might import under variable frame rate option.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit

Re: Transcoding an old camera codec to something workable? 5 days, 6 hours ago #203070

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 days, 6 hours ago
David Rasberry wrote:
MJPEG is not obsolete.

Did anybody say that MJPEG is obsolete?

However, I can image that the shown mono audio track together with 15 fps makes trouble when importing directly into Lightworks and speeding up, but worth a try.
Last Edit: 5 days, 6 hours ago by hugly.

Re: Transcoding an old camera codec to something workable? 5 days, 5 hours ago #203072

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 days, 5 hours ago
David Rasberry wrote:
Have you tried to import it into Lightworks? It might import under variable frame rate option.

I just did it, with a file created to show the same significant technical details.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
General
Complete name : F:\lwks\test\mjpeg\Jockey-FC 720p15-MJPEG-q1-PCM-44.1kHz-1ch.avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 72.7 MiB
Duration : 40 s 0 ms
Overall bit rate : 15.3 Mb/s
Writing application : Lavf58.20.100

Video
ID : 0
Format : JPEG
Codec ID : MJPG
Bit rate : 14.5 Mb/s
Width : 1 024 pixels
Height : 768 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate : 15.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 1.232
Stream size : 69.3 MiB (95%)

Audio
ID : 1
Format : PCM
Format settings : Little / Signed
Codec ID : 1
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 705.6 kb/s
Channel(s) : 1 channel
Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 3.36 MiB (5%)
Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration : 21 ms (0.32 video frame)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The footage is importable with V14.5 in 30 fps projects. Both, sound and picture, need to be slowed down to 50% with Resize in the timeline. It's does not work in 24 fps projects, which is an issue unknown to me, because 15 fps MP4 files are treated differently in 24 fps projects.

Importing the original footage needs applying speed changes to all clips of that kind in the timeline, but it saves time for converting.

Consequently, importing the original footage in a 30 fps project (and only 30 fps) is worth a try, although I'm aware that some on the forum have reported about trouble with mono-audio tracks in AVI containers.
Last Edit: 5 days, 5 hours ago by hugly.

Re: Transcoding an old camera codec to something workable? 4 days ago #203236

• Cato Elder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 days ago
Hello Hugly and BrianDys,

Thank you so much for the advice. I did use EyeFrame converter and changed the format to ProRes. I do not know how to change the frame rate, so the footage came out at 24 fps. It looks good and plays back fine. Does Lightworks have any noise removal tool or do I have to buy a third party one for this?

The footage itself is recorded at 720P. Can I scale up? I can get access to the pro version of Lightworks if that can unlock some features. What I am looking for is the most options to make the footage look as attractive as I can make it.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, EyeFrame Converter does do batch conversions! Pretty cool!
Last Edit: 4 days ago by Cato Elder. Reason: forgot to mention.

Re: Transcoding an old camera codec to something workable? 3 days, 22 hours ago #203250

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 days, 22 hours ago
Hello,

It isn't a good idea to convert 15 fps to 24 fps, because you increase the risk to see choppy motion on moving scenes, highly. In other words, this type of conversion creates motion artifacts.

The footage you show above, shows dimension of 1024x768 pixels in 4:3 aspect ration. That isn't 720p. 1024x768 is called XGA which is a legacy display resolution.

Lightworks has no noise removing tool.

I find old recordings most attractive if left as close to the original as possible, the more original grain, the better. What do you find attractive?
Last Edit: 3 days, 22 hours ago by hugly.

Re: Transcoding an old camera codec to something workable? 3 days, 22 hours ago #203251

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 days, 22 hours ago
glad it worked. in case you want to change frame rate in eyeframe converter: mark all clips --> right click on the field with the frame rate --> dial in the new frame rate --> click convert

Re: Transcoding an old camera codec to something workable? 3 days, 22 hours ago #203254

• Cato Elder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 days, 22 hours ago
Thank you Hugly,

BrianDys wrote "You need to change the frame rate to a standard one, either 25fp or 30 fps will do." So does that mean instead of 24 fps, I ought to re-encode to the higher framerate? I want to make these working files as optimal to work with as possible.

I understand what you mean by embracing limitations. I am trying to see how much room I have to manoeuvre. Once I know what options there are, then I can figure out the next steps.

Re: Transcoding an old camera codec to something workable? 3 days, 20 hours ago #203263

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 days, 20 hours ago
If converting 15 fps media, the best choice will be 30 fps. This will repeat every frame twice and will look the same as the 15 frame per second originals when you play it back.

There are certainly commercial noise reduction tools available but any noise reduction must be handled with extreme care. It's possible to make everything look like plastic if you're too heavy handed. Professionally I use Neat video as a plug in with After Effects. Its temporal filtering is fast and gives clean results.

Re: Transcoding an old camera codec to something workable? 3 days, 13 hours ago #203296

• Cato Elder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 days, 13 hours ago
Thanks Briandys (and kalimerox for the eyeframe help!)

Aha! Thanks! I have footage of an artist making something and want to distill several hours to a few minutes. I may need to speed up and/or slow down footage and play around with it to get something "artistic". The FPS is an issue, but at 30 fps, I may have something more usable. If you guys did not advise me on this, I would be rudderless at sea...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.44 seconds
Scroll To Top