TOPIC: Choppy playback

Choppy playback 4 months, 4 weeks ago #197945

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • 4 months, 4 weeks ago
hi Folks
I am viewing some gopro footage 1080p 60fps. Every 5-6 seconds the cpu spikes and frame freezes. For imported media the "make proxy" menu is greyed out.

system is a Ryzen 2400G with SSDs and quiet capable of playing 4K footage with low cpu.

How to fix this?

Thanks
G
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Choppy playback 4 months, 4 weeks ago #197950

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 4 weeks ago
Welcome to the forum.

Are you using Lightworks V14.5?

How much RAM has your computer got and are you using the system drive for your media?

NLEs are much more demanding on computer power than media players.

Re: Choppy playback 4 months, 4 weeks ago #197956

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • 4 months, 4 weeks ago
16GB RAM DDR4 3200, by end of week it will be 32GB

The clips are imported from a Samsung 850 Evo SSD and the OS+LW is installed in an m.2 pcie SM951 AHCI SSD that gives 2.2GB/sec throughput. Only caveat I am low on drive space like ~21GB free space. How can I get LW to use the 850 SSD for scratchpad and projects?

Quick Question - is the proxy media creation automatic? How can I manually generate it in bulk rather than right-click a clip?

Thanks
Last Edit: 4 months, 4 weeks ago by G0bble.

Re: Choppy playback 4 months, 4 weeks ago #197962

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 4 weeks ago
G0bble wrote:
For imported media the "make proxy" menu is greyed out.

This is not possible in the sequence timeline.
Proxies are created in the project content.
www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=192818&Itemid=81#192839

If this option is also greyed out in the project's clip tiles, then a screenshot would be helpful to understand your problem.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 4 months, 4 weeks ago by schrauber.

Re: Choppy playback 4 months, 4 weeks ago #197964

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 4 weeks ago
G0bble wrote:
Only caveat I am low on drive space like ~21GB free space.

If you use proxies and use the default import option Create Link. then you can also save your original media to a cheap external USB 3 hard drive, and import your media from there. In the proxy workflow, Lightworks uses only the audio of the original files, as well as the original video for export. Lightworks should therefore be allowed access to the original files.

The proxy formats available to free users do not require much disk space. By default, proxies are stored on the system drive. You can change that by adding new Lightworks internally managed media locations to other drives.

If several internal media locations are set up, then you can specify in the import options where the link files to the original media are stored. Wherever the link files are, Lightworks also saves the proxies.
Lightworks can also move these files at a later time.
Windows 10, 64 Bit

Re: Choppy playback 4 months, 4 weeks ago #197965

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • 4 months, 4 weeks ago
I found the menu to generate proxies in bulk, its converting now so I have to see how it performs after proxy generation. That said, proxy generation appears to be in the same container format as original..

Quick Q - does LW use a 32bit internal hires format to enable subtle grading changes without artefacts? For ex: Gopro Studio used cinepro AVI format ..

Edit: I see the project settings for 32bit gpu precision. Where do I set 10-bit output in 14.5? I use a 10bit native monitor and AMD Vega outputs 10bit.

Thanks!
Last Edit: 4 months, 4 weeks ago by G0bble.

Re: Choppy playback 4 months, 4 weeks ago #197966

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 4 weeks ago
G0bble wrote:
That said, proxy generation appears to be in the same container format as original..

Yes, with the usual H.264 compression, but with optimized for editing settings, and smaller dimensions. Personal adjustments are possible (see my link above).

An alternative with faster encodings in original resolution may be transcoding on import. The disadvantage is the file size and that not all original formats can be transcoded.
Windows 10, 64 Bit

Re: Choppy playback 4 months, 4 weeks ago #197968

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 4 weeks ago
G0bble wrote:
Quick Q - does LW use a 32bit internal hires format to enable subtle grading changes without artefacts? For ex: Gopro Studio used cinepro AVI format ..

Edit: I see the project settings for 32bit gpu precision. Where do I set 10-bit output in 14.5? I use a 10bit native monitor and AMD Vega outputs 10bit.

First of all, a distinction has to be made between intermediate formats that are used for the export and those that are only used for the preview.

The most important is the export quality.
The quality of the preview may be compromised when it comes to editing speed. (depending on what you want to do).

The GPU settings relate to internal processing in e.g. the effect pipeline.
Windows 10, 64 Bit

Re: Choppy playback 4 months, 4 weeks ago #197971

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • 4 months, 4 weeks ago
Thanks for the tips. After creating proxies I was still seeing the problem until I went to project settings>Video>playback media Quality > use lowest settings.

I reviewed the video, now to try the stuff.

Thanks again!
G

Re: Choppy playback 4 months, 3 weeks ago #198190

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
G0bble wrote:

I think the transcoding option when importing media does this ...

G0bble wrote:
I see the project settings for 32bit gpu precision. Where do I set 10-bit output in 14.5? I use a 10bit native monitor and AMD Vega outputs 10bit.

I saw a video of an older version of LWKS that had setting for 10-bit. Its not in LWKS 14.5 ... ?

Thanks!

Re: Choppy playback 4 months, 3 weeks ago #198249

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
In the case of 32 bist, it is important to consider what this means in each case.
With the GPU precision setting this means 32 per colour (for each of the four RBGA channel).
There are probably also other cases, in which simply so is calculated: Three colors with 8 bits each result in a total of 24 bits, or with alpha channel 32 bits.

With the GPU precision set, one channel (basic color) is common with each number 8 bit or 16 bit or 32 bit).
32 bits according to the above calculation correspond to 8 bits in the GPU settings (apart from the fact that most media use a different color scheme).

G0bble wrote:
I saw a video of an older version of LWKS that had setting for 10-bit. Its not in LWKS 14.5 ... ?

In the GPU settings, this is now called 16 bits. 10 bits are special export formats (or monitor), 16 bits is the internal RGBA presseision per color value.
Of course, you can also set higher precision internally (32 bits, currently only on Windows systems with a suitable GPU), but this can cause a higher GPU load.
32 bit GPU precision means 4 x 32 bits = 128 bits.
Edit:Of course, the exported file will have no better precision than the specifications of the exported medium. However, high precision in internal processing can reduce potential rounding inaccuracies, which can also affect export results.
But there is a separate thread for that.
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Last Edit: 4 months, 3 weeks ago by schrauber.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds
Scroll To Top