Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: MP4 import shows only green screen

MP4 import shows only green screen 3 months ago #196241

• radiodave
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months ago
I'm new to LW & video in general, so maybe I'm missing something. When I import an MP4 video, all I see in LW is a blank green screen. I see lots of discussion about that on this Forum 6 years ago that implies it's a bug and to convert it with EyeFrame. But it looks like EyeFrame is an old program no longer updated. More recent discussions imply LW doesn't come with some codecs. But I would think MP4 is so common it would be natively supported in LW.

I think the video was shot with a Black Magic camera so maybe I can get the raw footage. Or ask the camera person to convert it to something other than MP4. What is is the best format to use with LW?

My MP4 appears to be:
6.45 GB 1:22:50
1920x1080 (16:9), 24 fps, 10989 kbps data rate
audio 160 kbps bit rate, 48 kHz sample rate
AVCHD compression

Thanks for any help.
Last Edit: 3 months ago by radiodave. Reason: add compression type

Re: MP4 import shows only green screen 3 months ago #196242

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 months ago
For more detailed info on your video, please follow the directions in this sticky, so that users can see the technical details.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=66072&Itemid=81

Are you using V14.5?

Lightworks should be able to handle the BlackMagic camera media, it now has initial support for BlackMagic RAW, although that's a less likely format.

Re: MP4 import shows only green screen 3 months ago #196243

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months ago
radiodave wrote:
My MP4 appears to be:
6.45 GB 1:22:50
1920x1080 (16:9), 24 fps, 10989 kbps data rate
audio 160 kbps bit rate, 48 kHz sample rate
AVCHD compression

Just a side note: That looks more like a BD rip, rather than a camera recorded file, but the 'scene' don't use mp4 format so often, they prefer mkv.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 months ago by hugly.

Re: MP4 import shows only green screen 3 months ago #196255

• radiodave
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months ago
Oh my, learning a new technology is such a joy--and a pain

Yes, I am using 14.5.0.0, PRO (paid) version.

Here is some info about my MP4 file as reported by Media Info and attached to this post as MediaInfo_DrTuttleUnedited.mp4.txt.

BTW, I tried converting my file using the old EyeFrame. I don't know what settings to choose so I used the default. It output a smaller file (2.25 GB vs. 6.45 GB) but cut off the last 26 minutes for some reason (00:56:47 vs 1:22:50). The good news is I can view that video in LW. I still can't use it since it cut off the end, but it's progress.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: MP4 import shows only green screen 3 months ago #196260

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months ago
Mediainfo shows
Writing application : HandBrake 1.2.0 2018121700

From technical data, the file should be playable. To reveal technical data, Mediainfo uses metadata and a few ten frames at the beginning of the video, it does no in-depth file analysis, consequently it won't detect any stream damage outside this range.

Good "Old EyeFrame" is simply a GUI for ffmbc and still mature software. It's very unlikely that it cuts off video if the streams are valid. For editing, only formats from "Edit" tab of EFC should be used. The default format is "MPEG-2 I-Frame HD" which is an I-Frame based format with low overall compression. It's very unlikely that it creates a file of half the size, more likely a file of 5-10 times the size. I suspect you used a format from Delivery tab?

Just to see what a second transcoder does, try converting the file with most recent Handbrake and "Production.Standard" preset and see what happens. Post the Handbrake conversion log if somethings is wrong.

If you wish using a professional format, tell your friend to deliver either Blackmagic RAW format (f available, it's brand new) or ProRes HQ, filesize might be a drawback, expect hundreds of GB. Starting delivery with a small test file might help to avoid further surprise.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 months ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds
Scroll To Top