Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Export of unmodified file extremely large - help?

Export of unmodified file extremely large - help? 5 months ago #196225

• Xekral
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months ago
I am utilizing the free-version of Lightworks, and took a short video to hopefully compress it. What it resulted in has blown my mind, and I'm hoping someone here could help me.

The original file is an 11-second .mp4 with a file size of 3.07MB.

I imported it into Lightworks, and immediately exported the exact same file. I did not edit, modify or alter the file in any way, shape or form. The export resulted in an 11-second .mp4 file with a size of 8.88MB.

I'm not sure why exporting an unmodified file would result in a 289% file size increase.

Can someone help me understand this?

Re: Export of unmodified file extremely large - help? 5 months ago #196228

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months ago
Hello,

Lightworks encoder settings for 'Youtube', 'Vimeo' and 'H.264/Mp4 Free' are presets. They are optimized to match the recommendations of Youtube for h.264/MP4 uploads as close as possible. Some people find the bitrate (read: file size) too low, other too high. In fact, absolute bitrate isn't a good measure for video quality.

The visible result counts. Is it good?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 5 months ago by hugly.

Re: Export of unmodified file extremely large - help? 5 months ago #196256

• Xekral
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months ago
Right now, the only option I have under Youtube is "H.264/Mp4 Free". I get that it's free, but if the free version merely is going to inflate the original video to a size of 289%, that doesn't give me any assurance or incentive to purchase the program. All I am seeing is a program that is inflating the file size without any modifications.

Am I expected to believe that if I purchase the program, I'll get a file size considerably smaller?

Also, keep in mind, this file is only 11-seconds in length. What happens when I take the 40-minute and 39-second file that is currently 3.82GB in size and mess with it? I'm not going to attempt to upload a file that, without any modification to it, is going to end up being over 11GB in size.

Lastly, regarding your question if the visible result counts: the visibility on both the original and exported are the same quality. Therefore, there's no point in utilizing a program that's only going to inflate the file size without any change in quality. The only way thus far that I see to make the file size smaller is to change to the lowest setting, thus resulting in a "potato" quality.
Last Edit: 5 months ago by Xekral. Reason: Additional info

Re: Export of unmodified file extremely large - help? 5 months ago #196257

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 months ago
Unfortunately, most free users are looking for the highest quality possible and wouldn't be too pleased if the compression was increased on their master. The Pro version does allow you to change the compression, but if just require software to reduce you file size, rather than editing, I would check out Handbrake.

Re: Export of unmodified file extremely large - help? 5 months ago #196258

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months ago
briandrys wrote:
Unfortunately, most free users are looking for the highest quality possible and wouldn't be too pleased if the compression was increased on their master. The Pro version does allow you to change the compression, but if just require software to reduce you file size, rather than editing, I would check out Handbrake.

Yep!
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Export of unmodified file extremely large - help? 5 months ago #196259

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months ago
The video in your mp4 file is compressed, which is normal.

In order for a video editing program to take advantage of the many possibilities for which the program was developed, the video must first be decoded.
For example, each frame of your decoded video will internally pass through the GPU, where your video will cause much higher data throughput than the originally packed video.

For export, Lightworks significantly reduces this internal amount of data by recompressing your video.
Low bitrate compression is always associated with some loss of quality. If you used the same bitrate as your original video, the quality would still deteriorate a bit. Even with the higher bitrate used by Lightworks free, losses cannot be completely avoided.
With converter programs like "Handbrake" or "FFMPEG" you can set other compression methods, which allow similar qualities with lower bitrates, but which can take more time, or is less compatible (depending on the settings). Lightworks tries to choose a compromise, because for many users export speed is also important.

There are other very simple programs that cut the sections out of the original file without decompressing the file. Unfortunately, this doesn't always work reliably, limits the editing possibilities extremely, and can lead to unexpected behavior in players.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 5 months ago by schrauber.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
Scroll To Top