Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Proxy File Resolution

Proxy File Resolution 8 months, 2 weeks ago #192818

• misterangle
  • Senior Boarder
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
Hi there, I'm using Eyeframe converter to convert 1080 phone footage to MPEG 2 format for proxy editing.My laptop is pretty ancient but I've done a couple of music vids with LWKS in the past and it copes up to a point. The file conversion seems to be working but there are some things I don't understand. Firstly, a short clip of 1080 phone footage is, for example, 28 MB. What is happening in the conversion to make the hi-def file nearly 10x that size? I know it's a different format from the phone's original but how does that work? Is it decompressing the original? I'm intrigued...

Secondly, when I swap the files over for final editing, although I can physically see the higher quality the information in the log file hasn't changed: it says 960 x 540 - the same as the proxy file. I thought that would change.

lastly, are there known issues with Lenovo laptops and their chipsets when using LWKs? There are times when I just have to move a gamma or contrast button 1mm to the right and the whole thing freezes. Imagine starting your day like that...

Re: Proxy File Resolution 8 months, 1 week ago #192825

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
Which version of LW are you using? Perhaps you may be best trying the LW internal proxy workflow - no need for external conversion.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Proxy File Resolution 8 months, 1 week ago #192829

• misterangle
  • Senior Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
I'm using 14.5. Just noticed there's a 'create proxy' facility. Could you explain how that works. I like using LWKs but it's not often the most intuitive thing to wrestle with.

Re: Proxy File Resolution 8 months, 1 week ago #192839

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
From other threads:
schrauber wrote:
First, create the proxies from clips you have already imported by clicking the right mouse button in "Project Contents" (previously select clips if desired):
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
In the project settings (or via keyboard shortcut) select "Playback media quality Lowest available"

Done

EDIT:
Additional information:

... You have several options for creating proxies:

With the free license the size and the quality are adjustable.
This has influence on the playback quality, performance and memory usage.

More compressions with the pro license.

Edit:
Lightworks automatically uses the best available original media quality for export. So you do not need to switch. Of course, the prerequisite is that Lightworks retain access to the original media.

If you want to temporarily use the original quality for the preview, for example for more precise effect settings, switch "Playback media quality" to "Highest available".
I do not use the "Automatic" setting because the rules used by the automatic system are not documented (the proxy resolution seems to influence the behavior as well?).

With the shortcut "Playback media quality" you can change the preview quality very quickly.

See also "14.5 User Guide" Page 144 ...
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 3 months ago by schrauber.

Re: Proxy File Resolution 8 months, 1 week ago #192888

• misterangle
  • Senior Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
Thanks for that. I must say it's certainly an improvement in user-friendliness over the last version. Has to be one of the easier tasks to perform with LWKs. The manual is very good too. Slowly working my way through...

As a matter of interest: what would be the minimum spec laptop to cope with all the features of LWKs. I think it's time to upgrade but don't want to overdo it.

Thanks for your input, btw, very helpful.

Re: Proxy File Resolution 8 months, 1 week ago #192891

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
Hi,

That's really difficult to say, it's money vs time spent. Editing performance depends on computer, material used, and complexity of edits. Even with given material and complexity of edits, it's still a trade off between spending more money or waiting longer for the procedures to finish.

With a PC compared with a laptop you get more bang for the buck and you might find some powerful used/refurbished machine at low prices.

What's you budget?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
Scroll To Top