• Page:

TOPIC: Hybrid Log Gamma and Lightworks?

Hybrid Log Gamma and Lightworks? 5 months ago #177090

• Danas_Anis
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months ago
Hello,

Seeing that more and more cameras offer HLG recording, I was wondering how well does Lightworks work with such a thing?

I actually have Sony A7mk3 and tried to load HLG3 footage, but can't tell whether it works or not, what I see is normal image, no really blown out highlights and pushing the shadows, midtones and highlights doesn;t seem to do the impressive stuff shown on various youtube videos, hover it seems to be more flexible than Slog2 material to some extent. I have really small knowledge about it so I might be doing it all wrong, but couldn;t find anhy info related to HLG and Lightworks, just some random articles about HLG.

Anyway, I am curious, is HLG supported in LWKS at all? If not, is it planned to be supported seeing it is becoming a new normal feature in cameras?

Thank you for your time and sharing your ideas.
Kind regards,
Danas
issuu.com/c3de
www.danas-imaging.com

DELL Precision M5520; Intel Core i7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.7 GHz; 16GiB of RAM; Nvidia Quadro M1200 w/4GB GDDR5 / Intel HD Graphics 530 ,

DELL XPS L502X; Intel Core i-7-2630QM CPU @ 2.0 GHz; 8GB RAM; NVidia GeForce 540M 2Gb.

Kubuntu 16.04

Re: Hybrid Log Gamma and Lightworks? 5 months ago #177093

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months ago
Hi,

In my understanding Hybrid Log Gamma is a non linear transfer curve which flattens gamma in the highlights when recording.

I might be corrected on this, but I think there is no reason why this shouldn't be supported out of the box by Lightworks. The questions are, how would that look on a normal TV screen calibrated to REC709 and does that make any sense with 8-bit codecs? I would think delivery workflow in 10-bit or above would make sense from capture to display.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 5 months ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds
Scroll To Top