• Page:

TOPIC: Audio track too fast

Audio track too fast 2 months, 2 weeks ago #163648

• SchwobaSeggl
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Hi there,

I'm new to Lightworks. Currently I'm testing the latest version on Kubuntu/kxStudio 16.04. However, I have long-term experience with audio production.

I filmed a concert with a camcorder, 50fps AVCHD. Lightworks can deal with that. Now I got the audio mixed down to a 16/48 WAV file which Lightworks also does import.

However, the audio track is playing too fast/high, sounds like the typical 44.1/48khz offset of about 1 semitone.

How can that be?

I am seriously looking for a replacement for Kdenlive (great features but unstable) and I am willing to pay for this replacement but it really shouldn't fail on such basic things.

Best
Schwob

Re: Audio track too fast 2 months, 2 weeks ago #163649

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Hello and welcome!

I don't believe that this is an issue related to sample rate.

What project frame rate did you select when creating the project you're working on?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Audio track too fast 2 months, 2 weeks ago #163653

• SchwobaSeggl
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Mhh I don't remember but it happend with all kinds of audio, 24/48, 16/44,1 etc...

... so I started a new project with 25fps and did it again and now things work.

So will I be safe when I go for 25fps with the projects?

However, syncing audio as described in this video does not work for me:

Could someone point me to a place where I can read/watch on how to do this in Lightworks 14?

I'm currently doing smaller stuff, but I have a recording from 3 cameras and pro audio on disk which I need to edit. I don't really get this alignment thing yet, but quite naturally I will have to do plenty of it soon as the 3 cameras plus the audio will not be perfectly in sync.

Re: Audio track too fast 2 months, 2 weeks ago #163655

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
SchwobaSeggl wrote:
So will I be safe when I go for 25fps with the projects?

Should be.

Re: Audio track too fast 2 months, 2 weeks ago #163656

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
SchwobaSeggl wrote:
Could someone point me to a place where I can read/watch on how to do this in Lightworks 14?

The video above shows an old version, the specific procedure has changed.

Multiple workflows exist to align audio to video.

I'd suggest using recent V14.1 beta which allows shifting audio track zoomed-in, an easy and fast method to align video with separately recorded audio in Fixed layout.

I'll post a short video showing the procedure later.
Last Edit: 2 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Audio track too fast 2 months, 2 weeks ago #163657

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Ah, I just found an existing one.

It doesn't show trimming to get rid of the overlaps, but it should give an idea how it works.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Audio track too fast 2 months, 1 week ago #164485

• SchwobaSeggl
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Thanks for the video.

My situation is slightly different. I have 2 stereo audio tracks.

Track A1+A2 (as named in Lightworks) is the audio from the camcorder. I feed the camcorder with the audio signal from a field recorder (Tascam D70D). The D70D automatically sends a slate signal (some beep) on record and record-stop, furthermore I can send such a signal manually. Hence I have an audible slate, but not a visible one. The D70D's audio is on A3+A4 in Lightworks.

Now I have trouble getting A3+A4 alighend with A1+A2. I can zoom in quite a lot, but each time I move A3+A4, Lightworks automatically zooms out to show the entire region, which drives me crazy.

Also, Lightworks moves regions automatically, which might a first sight be helpful but if I'm not careful with this, everything gets mixed up again.

Is this what you mentioned to be improved in 14.1 beta? Where can I get this beta version?

Thanks for your assistance, much appreciated!

Best
Schwob

Re: Audio track too fast 2 months, 1 week ago #164486

• SchwobaSeggl
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
(Found the 14.1 download, will try. Other questions remain. Thanks again. I might go for the holiday offer.)

Re: Audio track too fast 2 months, 1 week ago #164487

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
SchwobaSeggl wrote:
I can zoom in quite a lot, but each time I move A3+A4, Lightworks automatically zooms out to show the entire region, which drives me crazy

As I tried to explain earlier, I used V14.1 for the video above. The same is not possible with V14.0.

With the method shown you can also sync audio to audio as long as you have some known peaks on both sources to sync to.

By the way, there are other sync methods as well, but I found this new one to be the fastest available for sources without valid synchronized timecode.
Last Edit: 2 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Audio track too fast 2 months, 1 week ago #164500

• SchwobaSeggl
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Thanks again. This method now works in V14.1, since the automatic zooming does not drive me crazy any more. I think it is the obvious simply method that lots of people need when filming with consumer stuff without timecode sync.

You hit a lot of not-so-funny consumer device issues, such as clock drift... which makes you want to align/sync manually quite a lot. But in terms of video quality, consumer devices seem to have gained quite some points, since they all need to beat the omnipresent smart phones. So I will find myself syncing 2 camcorders and 1 DSLR quite a lot...

But for a start I will practice a bit with simpler material.

Lightworks seems to have a very unique concept in usage... but it's one of two serious products for Linux... and quitting Linux is not an option for me.

Best
Schwob

Re: Audio track too fast 1 month, 2 weeks ago #165560

• SchwobaSeggl
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Mhh I managed to create a new clip from the audio and video tracks using RMB -> Tracks -> Make sync(s). Now I can work with that sync which is fine for my purposes... new clip on V1 and A1+A2. How can I lock those so that I cannot accidentally move the video away from the audio?

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Re: Audio track too fast 1 month, 2 weeks ago #165568

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you mean. A Sync object inserted into target sequence behaves like a source clip.

From timeline menu select "Timeline Commands.Auto track sync". This will "lock" all tracks when moving clips with the mouse or when trimming.

But, It's always possible to move things around in an unintended way. Undo will be your friend.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.60 seconds
Scroll To Top