Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: LW 14.1 Custom Resolutions

LW 14.1 Custom Resolutions 7 months, 2 weeks ago #163619

• Doofer
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
Re. Lightworks TIFF and WAV export working with openDCP - that's good news.

But (in Pro) are there options to change bit depth to 8, 10, 16 bit, or is this an export to DCP at 8 bit?

LW 14.1 Custom Resolutions 7 months, 2 weeks ago #163620

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
With recent beta V14.1, as far as I can see here TIFF export is always 8-bit + alpha channel . DPX seems to be 10-bit without alpha. WAV export shows the choice between 16 and 24 bit.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

LW 14.1 Custom Resolutions 7 months, 2 weeks ago #163621

• Doofer
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
Many thanks - I guess for an enthusiastic amateur like me, an easy workflow to a working DCP is far more important than an inaccessible workflow to some vision of a 'best possible' DCP...

LW 14.1 Custom Resolutions 7 months, 2 weeks ago #163627

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
If you wish I can provide a short image sequence in DPX 10-bit exported with V14 to test with openDCP. Desired resolution would needed.

Re: LW 14.1 Custom Resolutions 7 months, 2 weeks ago #163687

• Doofer
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
That's a kind offer.
I'm in discussion with my local projectionist over format for the premiere of my first film - exciting, yes, but I'm hoping he'll relent and let me bring 2K MPEG4 H.264... if not, then I will be frantically going up the DCP learning curve, and I will take you up on your offer...

Re: LW 14.1 Custom Resolutions 7 months, 2 weeks ago #163706

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
Doofer, look into DCP-o-matic. Free, and very easy to use.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: LW 14.1 Custom Resolutions 7 months, 2 weeks ago #163710

• Doofer
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
Looks interesting - I will!

Re: LW 14.1 Custom Resolutions 7 months, 2 weeks ago #163713

• Doofer
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
Wow. DCP-o-matic is merrily DCP-rendering away already, as I type.

The only worry so far is that, having formatted an SSD anticipating it would hold huge video files, DCP of course is saving thousands of small files - so far I see 90MB of (relatively small) files stored in 420MB of disk(!). Block size is clearly something to think carefully about when formatting DCP disks.

Re: LW 14.1 Custom Resolutions 7 months, 1 week ago #163720

• Doofer
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 7 months, 1 week ago
(While it's getting on with things, DCP-o-matic did report that my audio had a peak of +0.37dB - when I had carefully used the Lwks peak level meter to keep everything below -3dB. Is this to be expected?)

Re: LW 14.1 Custom Resolutions 7 months, 1 week ago #163721

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 1 week ago
DCP video is comprised of jpeg2000 frames wrapped in an mxf container. DCP-o-matic will render out the individual frames before combining them into an mxf.

Regarding your audio, maybe there is a peak somewhere not easily seen. If your audio is separate wav files, you could try normalizing them with an audio editor.

Re: LW 14.1 Custom Resolutions 7 months, 1 week ago #163723

• Doofer
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 7 months, 1 week ago
Well, DCP-o-matic has just, well, done it!

Just slot a Lightworks export .mp4 in one end, the DCP folder comes out the other! I am very impressed - and very grateful for the pointer, khaver.

As you say, once completed, the frames are in a .mxf wrapper, so my big-block-fast-video ssd is used very efficiently (size 15,615,418,854 bytes, size on disk 15,615,442,944 bytes... not too shoddy).

As for the peak audio problem: Under the 'Audio' tab, DCP-o-matic not only displays the detected peak under the audio tab, but under the same tab lets you reduce the gain, re-calculating the peak. Soooo easy to correct, so convenient.

Lots of settings, although I can't find any reference to image bit depth. Presumably it detects this from the source?

Re: LW 14.1 Custom Resolutions 7 months, 1 week ago #163726

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 1 week ago
I believe DCP frames are always 12bit.

Re: LW 14.1 Custom Resolutions 7 months, 1 week ago #163779

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 1 week ago
Doofer wrote:
(While it's getting on with things, DCP-o-matic did report that my audio had a peak of +0.37dB - when I had carefully used the Lwks peak level meter to keep everything below -3dB. Is this to be expected?)

Yes, it is.

To avoid something like this you would need a compressor/limiter integrated into Lightworks and a peak meter calibrated to DCP standards.

To address the full range of dynamics for movie theater projection, stereo sound isn't sufficient. Audio standards differs significantly from broadcast standards. You will get best possible results only when mastering with commercial DAW's.
Last Edit: 7 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: LW 14.1 Custom Resolutions 7 months ago #164585

• sanjuro
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 7 months ago
I'm in the same situation as the original poster, first film and all, but I don't want to use DCP-o-matic just yet. So I'm wondering about the bit depth as well.

I use Lightworks 64-bit. I exported a frame in TIFF just now and in the file properties it says "Bit depth: 32". Is that reliable? Is it supposed to be 16-bit only for OpenDCP, will it work with 32-bit?

Re: LW 14.1 Custom Resolutions 7 months ago #164589

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months ago
sanjuro, the 32bit TIFF refers to 8 bits per channel (RGBA = 8 * 4 = 32). As far as I know, A DPX image sequence is the only way to export more than 8 bits per channel. I don't have the pro version so it's possible there are more export formats available that support more than 8. With then new beta versions, Cineform export is supported but I don't know if this has higher bit depths available either.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds
Scroll To Top