Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Exporting subtitles

Re: Exporting subtitles 1 year ago #161838

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year ago
Does it have to be that complicated?

In my previous example, that program supports only .srt and .txt for import, and it's far than enough, since the most important part IMO is not the import of subtitles but an easy and fast workflow to place new subtitles where the marker currently stands, e.g.:
Mark & Park => right click (or any key) - Insert SubTitle => jump to text input field.
Like that the duration is already defined as well.
And then it would require a global menu somewhat like (or even in) the FX panel, where you can set the global text positioning, alignment, color, border, shadow etc.

Regarding im-/export formats support: why not just start small, with an implementation only supporting one or two formats (I'd prefer .XML and .SRT) which are widely established and easy to implement, and then expand it step by step over the versioning?

Bottom line: The import/export features for subtitles are probably required (as the initial post proves) but IMO not crucial. It's more important to have a fast workflow IN the appllication for generating subtitles, which is fully different from what a title tool as the current one is made for.

EDIT:
By the way: what does Premiere and FCP provide here? Since they are also widely established, maybe it would be worth to follow...
Lwks x64 14.5 (pro license), on Windows 10
HARDWARE PC1:
.Intel Core i7-4710HQ Quad-core 2,50 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
.GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M with 4 GB RAM
.Sound: Onboard (Realtek)
.Disks: 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1 TB internal SATA for editing material
HARDWARE PC2:
.Intel Core2Quad, 8 GB RAM, 800 MHz FSB
.GPU: NVIDIA Quadro 600 with 1 GB DDR3 RAM
.Sound: Focusrite Saffire Pro (FW)
.Disks: 1x 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1x eSATA II (external) 1 TB for editing material (video and audio)
CAMs: Sony PXW-X70, NEX-5n
Last Edit: 1 year ago by timzett.

Re: Exporting subtitles 1 year ago #161865

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 year ago
an easy and fast workflow to place new subtitles
That already exists - if one's workflow is subtraction rather than addition. A subtitle effect covers a section of the edit - it can be all the edit if necessary - one 'empty cuts' that into sections to add titles and removes it from sections without titles.

The attached is a rough demonstration -
The subtitle on-screen at the opening extends from the playhead to the end of the edit.
Move to the next subtitle position - make an empty cut
do whatever necessary to copy the next subtitle line
Tab back to LW - paste it into the Title tool
Move to the next position - make an empty cut --- and so on.

I find this works very effectively and is very useful.

I suspect it would not be terribly difficult to make some combination of LW and external Keyboard macros to create an all black edit with an FX track broken into about 1 second sections with a whole script of subtitles pre-entered - the job them would be to mark park sections and drop in the pre-made titles.

But with all of that no, LW does not globally alter all instances of a pre-entered effect.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Exporting subtitles 1 year ago #161876

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year ago
RWAV wrote:
That already exists

The ability to import and export created subtitles from/to standardized format(s) for interchange is missing.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Exporting subtitles 1 year ago #161877

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year ago
Just to put focus back on topic, this is the initial post: abcowan wrote:
Hi there

Does anyone know of a way to export subtitles out of a project? I have a project with a tonne of subtitles in an FX track but when I export an aaf or xml to grade in Davinci, none of them seem to be showing up. Is there a way to export them as an srt file?

Thanks a lot
-
Aaron
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 year ago by hugly.

Re: Exporting subtitles 1 year ago #161898

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 year ago
hugly I answered this proposition from he poster
. it was one of several matters the poster raised and it has the potential to be extremely helpful to that user

The issue of subtitles is long and complex - please do not try to restrict the scope and value of a thread by attempting to impose your personal view of what is and is not permissible content.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Exporting subtitles 1 year ago #163586

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year ago
RWAV wrote:
That already exists - if one's workflow is subtraction rather than addition...
I agree that your workflow does the job for me in most cases.
Sometimes the perspective of ones counterpart opens an opposite view to the better

Sure, that doesn't cover the export and import topic, but that is indeed another aspect of the discussion.

Personally I think if I ever come across a situation where I need to deal with subtitle files, I'd rather try a solution outside Lightworks (at least for now).
A few years ago e.g. I merged .srt files and video with MediaCoder - worked quite well.

As I mentioned before, regarding the export topic IMO it might be no big deal to start offering one format in Lightworks, e.g. SRT. Still better than nothing
Lwks x64 14.5 (pro license), on Windows 10
HARDWARE PC1:
.Intel Core i7-4710HQ Quad-core 2,50 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
.GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M with 4 GB RAM
.Sound: Onboard (Realtek)
.Disks: 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1 TB internal SATA for editing material
HARDWARE PC2:
.Intel Core2Quad, 8 GB RAM, 800 MHz FSB
.GPU: NVIDIA Quadro 600 with 1 GB DDR3 RAM
.Sound: Focusrite Saffire Pro (FW)
.Disks: 1x 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1x eSATA II (external) 1 TB for editing material (video and audio)
CAMs: Sony PXW-X70, NEX-5n
Last Edit: 1 year ago by timzett.

Re: Exporting subtitles 1 year ago #163661

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 year ago
Yes, it's an easy but neat approach to the task.

Subtitling software/hardware ranges from few to multiple thousands of dollars. If you look here - www.videotoolshed.com/product/subbits-subtitler/ it is 179 euros. For LW the worklfow would be outputting a keyable .mov file to overlay in LW. It does offer support for a number of subtitle import/export options, is timecode format aware, is capable of professional results.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds
Scroll To Top