Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Exporting subtitles

Exporting subtitles 7 months, 2 weeks ago #160797

• abcowan
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
Hi there

Does anyone know of a way to export subtitles out of a project? I have a project with a tonne of subtitles in an FX track but when I export an aaf or xml to grade in Davinci, none of them seem to be showing up. Is there a way to export them as an srt file?

Thanks a lot
-
Aaron

LightworksPro 14.0.0.0(93145)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)
2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
6 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

Re: Exporting subtitles 7 months, 2 weeks ago #160800

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
Hi,

You can't export subtitles from Lightworks text effects as srt file (nor any other standardized subtitle format).

I might be corrected on this, but I'm not aware of any kind of EDL that can be used to carry text effects from Lightworks to Resolve and back.

Assuming that you do not change timing in Resolve you can render after grading to an intermediate format (e.g. Cineform, YUYV), import it into Lightworks, create a sequence and copy and paste the FX tracks containing the subtitles from your original edit, and export for delivery.

Another way could possibly be to make a copy of the sequence in Lightworks, replace video tracks with black, export an image sequence which then contains the subtitles over black background and create a composite with a masked blend in Resolve. If you find a way to export an alpha channel with transparency out of Lightworks you can use a blend without masking.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 7 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Exporting subtitles 7 months, 2 weeks ago #160801

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
Obviously all the text and associated metadata exists in the edit file - but don't believe there is any routine to extract that - though I can't be completely sure it has not been included in XML exports. A direct question to LW might help you on that.

If you are wanting the text itself to rebuild in your finishing process that may be tough - if you want a version to lay over based on the LW generated output I'd export a video in the highest frame-size-resolution possible - make it the text only over black or key-able colour of your choice - centre screen the text and enlarge it to the maximum possible width - that will give you the best quality material to reduce back to subtitle positioning.

It may also be good to include a BITC panel reference showing the edit time.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Exporting subtitles 7 months, 2 weeks ago #160802

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
RWAV wrote:
Obviously all the text and associated metadata exists in the edit file - but don't believe there is any routine to extract that - though I can't be completely sure it has not been included in XML exports.

Just to confirm, in FCP5 XML export there isn't any information about text effects.

Re: Exporting subtitles 7 months, 2 weeks ago #160924

• abcowan
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
Thanks for all the advice folks. I think I'm just going to guts it out and redo them all.

Re: Exporting subtitles 7 months, 2 weeks ago #160926

• osaeris
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
If you have the patience to copy and paste them out into a text file you can rebuild your subtitle track in AegisSub which has a good audio waveform display. Bit of a fiddle to begin with but I can't do without it now.

Only downside is you have to convert from .ass to .srt at the end but there are plenty of ways (even websites) to do that.
Lightworks 14
Ubuntu Studio 14.02 LTS (64 bit),
HP Elite 8100 workstation 8Gb RAM
1 x 120Gb Samsung EVO 850 SSD
1 x Tb, 1 x 3Tb SATA drives
NVidia GTX 950 (2Gb)
2 x Eizo flexscan l768
Emu 1212m digital audio

Re: Exporting subtitles 7 months, 2 weeks ago #160948

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
As far as I know Resolve supports only FCPXML (of FCPX) files for import of subtitles. How to create those?
Last Edit: 7 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Exporting subtitles 7 months, 2 weeks ago #161002

• osaeris
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
Having checked, I found that Aegisub can indeed export SRT files so you can simply pop them through the converter on this page to make FCP XML files.

Blurb from the website says:
A free program that converts SRT subtitle files to FCPXML 1.5,
perfect for creating subtitles compatible in Final Cut Pro X and DaVinci Resolve.
Lightworks 14
NVidia GTX 950 (2Gb)
2 x Eizo flexscan l768
Emu 1212m digital audio
Last Edit: 7 months, 2 weeks ago by osaeris. Reason: fixed URL

Re: Exporting subtitles 7 months, 2 weeks ago #161005

• osaeris
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
abcowan you have subtitles in an FX track in Lightworks. Are you required to bake in subtitles to the completed video for some reason ? I am mostly required to provide SRT files to accompany the final rendered video, or to incorporate these in a DVD.
Lightworks 14
NVidia GTX 950 (2Gb)
2 x Eizo flexscan l768
Emu 1212m digital audio

Re: Exporting subtitles 7 months, 2 weeks ago #161043

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
hugly wrote:
You can't export subtitles from Lightworks text effects as srt file (nor any other standardized subtitle format).
Yes and that is very unfortunate, as well as the missing import option for .srt, .sub files and the like.

A long time ago I requested the above, still it didn't make it into the product.
Too often I have a sequence in a foreign language where subtitles are required.
Using external titling tools, defining via timecode where a certain title should appear, and importing/exporting the titles in a standardized way into/from the NLE is the actually professional approach.
E.g. you only need to define once:

• whether the titles should be burnt in or kept as separate metadata,
  • the font type, size, color, shading etc.
  • the relative positions (x/y) on the screen

Sure one can discuss whether that should be part of the NLE or rather an authoring tool. But how often do we export the final product (e.g. for web publishing) out of Lightworks nowadays and that's all?

Anyway, I am really missing this.
Lwks x64 14.5 RC1 (pro license), on Windows 10 1709
HARDWARE PC1:
.Intel Core i7-4710HQ Quad-core 2,50 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
.GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M with 4 GB RAM
.Sound: Onboard (Realtek)
.Disks: 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1 TB internal SATA for editing material
HARDWARE PC2:
.Intel Core2Quad, 8 GB RAM, 800 MHz FSB
.GPU: NVIDIA Quadro 600 with 1 GB DDR3 RAM
.Sound: Focusrite Saffire Pro (FW)
.Disks: 1x 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1x eSATA II (external) 1 TB for editing material (video and audio)
CAMs: Sony PXW-X70, NEX-5n
Last Edit: 7 months, 2 weeks ago by timzett.

Re: Exporting subtitles 7 months, 2 weeks ago #161115

• abcowan
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
Me too!

I've now done these subtitles three times. And it's in two languages - sooooo boring, and not exactly a useful allocation of my tim. I look forward to Lightworks 15 - maybe that will have this useful functionality........

Re: Exporting subtitles 7 months, 2 weeks ago #161116

• abcowan
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
It's for a film I'm rendering out to DCP in two days and I'm pretty sure I need them burned in there. Oh for an SRT import/export option!

Re: Exporting subtitles 7 months, 2 weeks ago #161117

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
Maybe this should go into the request section. I would also like a hard copy of the effects that I use.
Lenovo D30 Workstation,128GB ram, Nvidia L4000, 2xDell U2312HM, Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS LWKS 14.0, Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 Now working

Re: Exporting subtitles 7 months, 2 weeks ago #161118

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
abcowan with benefit of hindsight - perhaps a more useful workflow might have been to use subtitling software to produce a keyable output for the LW stages of the work - then you would have all the text on a dedicated special-purpose platform.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Exporting subtitles 7 months, 2 weeks ago #161135

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
Here an example how PowerDirector deals with it - since quite a couple of years:
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

You can import subtitles from either an .srt or a .txt file.

There is a separate track for the subtitles and a subtitle "room" where you can arrange your subtitles.
Each line with a subtitle is represented by start and end time.
In addition to the import file option one can also arrange individual titles manually (as it was done in the screenshot). So also when an .srt sequence was imported one can still add more titles if required.
Font type, size and color can be chosen and are then valid for the entire edit (sequence).
You can also choose between burning in the subtitles or keep them as separate metadata (so you can export them alongside the video as well).

If the metadata option is chosen, for standardization reasons (DVD, BluRay etc.) the options regarding font type, size and color are limited.
Lwks x64 14.5 RC1 (pro license), on Windows 10 1709
HARDWARE PC1:
.Intel Core i7-4710HQ Quad-core 2,50 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
.GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M with 4 GB RAM
.Sound: Onboard (Realtek)
.Disks: 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1 TB internal SATA for editing material
HARDWARE PC2:
.Intel Core2Quad, 8 GB RAM, 800 MHz FSB
.GPU: NVIDIA Quadro 600 with 1 GB DDR3 RAM
.Sound: Focusrite Saffire Pro (FW)
.Disks: 1x 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1x eSATA II (external) 1 TB for editing material (video and audio)
CAMs: Sony PXW-X70, NEX-5n
Last Edit: 7 months, 2 weeks ago by timzett.
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
Scroll To Top