Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Beginner - Importing a video with multiple audio tracks

Beginner - Importing a video with multiple audio tracks 11 months, 3 weeks ago #158373

• Zeverynth-0
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
Hi all,

I'm an almost complete beginner and any help is greatly appreciated.

I've recorded 2 audio tracks simultaneously, a mic track and a track from the desktop, and I want to eq and balance them. However, when I import into LW the stereo desktop track has disappeared and been replaced with another copy of the mic track (image 1). If I play the video in VLC both the desktop and mic tracks are options and both play so it's definitely attached to the video (image 2).

It's as if track 2 is being rewritten.

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

Regards,

Dean
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Beginner - Importing a video with multiple audio tracks 11 months, 3 weeks ago #158374

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
you can download mediaarea.net/de/MediaInfo
for free and post the specs of the prob. video file.
s.

Re: Beginner - Importing a video with multiple audio tracks 11 months, 3 weeks ago #158380

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
It's the container format. Try Audacity and extract the audio, import separately.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Beginner - Importing a video with multiple audio tracks 11 months, 3 weeks ago #158382

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
A little more specifically, you recorded your audio to an mp4 video format. That most likely means your audio is saved as AAC, which is highly compressed.

Video editing platforms often have trouble separating AAC and mp3 audio tracks.

If you import the audio into an audio tool like Audacity, you can export it as uncompressed wav or aiff files with separate audio tracks.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: Beginner - Importing a video with multiple audio tracks 11 months, 3 weeks ago #158391

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
FWIW

Lightworks doesn't support OBS multitrack recordings properly.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=14&id=122146&Itemid=81#122146

Possibly that will be fixed with next release.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Beginner - Importing a video with multiple audio tracks 11 months, 2 weeks ago #158417

• Zeverynth-0
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 11 months, 2 weeks ago
Hi All,

Thanks for the advice. I had already tried Audacity but apparently didn't have the libraries needed.

Spot the tech savvy one.
Thanks guys.

Dean

Re: Beginner - Importing a video with multiple audio tracks 5 months, 1 week ago #174565

• SKova
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
I had updated on this a week or so ago and thought that it was now working with the Standard output from OBS with the 14.5 beta. It will import and show the individual audio channels fine, they even seem to work fine. It will not export correctly though. The audio tracks have to be converted to a PCM stream for it to export correctly still, as Hugly had found before. Found this out after doing a set of edits and the audio would not export correctly.

Has this been noted anywhere in the Beta for 14.5? There is also still an issue with the mixer that only seems to be in the free version that I will note in that thread also, unless there is a better place to add these notes.

Re: Beginner - Importing a video with multiple audio tracks 5 months, 1 week ago #174566

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Hello,

It's assumed that V14.5 RC2 (the current release) works with multi-track audio recorded with OBS on import, but it will not export multitrack audio, a stereo mix of all tracks instead. This makes sense because common media players treat multi-track audio as different languages (they allow to switch, but not to mix).

Is that what you mean?
Last Edit: 5 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Beginner - Importing a video with multiple audio tracks 5 months, 1 week ago #174569

• SKova
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Hi Hugly,

It is not what I mean. It imports correctly with RC2 and has all the separate tracks. When the export is done, it is only recording the first two tracks. I thought that it was that I had used the Mixer during editing to mute the tracks that I wanted, so I used the same MP4 with 4 audio tracks in a new edit. When I selected a small section to export, it would start with all four tracks in the mix and then 3 & 4 drop out and you only have the first two. If I run the MP4 through your batch and the AAC is converted to PCM, it is then fine. I also noticed some artifacts from the other channels "bleeding" through from each other.

I could post a sample of them if it would be helpful.

Re: Beginner - Importing a video with multiple audio tracks 5 months, 1 week ago #174571

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
I see.

I know these dropouts and reported about the issue a long time ago. I assumed my issue to be very special, because I used the same signal on all channels but at different levels. I was sure that the issue has been fixed with V14.5 because of official announcements and some users who reported that it works.

Would you mind making a screen recording of Lightworks GUI which shows the issue comparing the same section with two version, PCM audio and AAC audio? The Forum supports only 20MB attachments, if the recording turns out to be larger upload it somewhere (if possible not listed) and post a link.

Re: Beginner - Importing a video with multiple audio tracks 5 months, 1 week ago #174643

• SKova
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Hello Hugly,

Here are two samples with details of what happens:

• 2018-04-16 21-03-01.mp4: This is the original recording from OBS with 4 audio channels. The PC audio is on 1 & 2 with mic input on 3 & 4. When this is dropped into a sequence, it looks normal. If you play it back, it sounds normal although on the mixer audio from 3/4 can be seen bleeding into 1 in the screenshot called Lightworks(AAC).PNG. When the clip is exported (Test OBS w-AAC Audio.MP4), the audio from 3/4 starts and then drops out when the A1 picks up the artifact or whatever it is sensing. You can hear it on the linked file.
  • 2018-04-16 21-03-01.mp4(PCM).mov: This is the track after running it through a batch to convert the AAC to PCM. Same audio channels and no problems with the audio or the export, see the linked files of Lightworks(PCM).PNG and Test OBS w-PCM Audio.MP4.

Here is a link to a Dropbox folder with all of the files in it: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3p64p13rvo3q1c6/AABSnBlRMyJVbRovTV2FHqxDa?dl=0

Let me know if anything else is needed.

Re: Beginner - Importing a video with multiple audio tracks 5 months, 1 week ago #174655

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
SKova,

Very clear and complete material, thank you.

It seems to be the problem I've encountered and reported with V14.1 beta, sudden dropouts and distortion.

Here, with 2018-04-16 21-03-01.mp4 and V14.5 RC2 on Windoes 7 64-bit, the positions of incidents (dropouts/distortion) appear to be different after each restart of Lightworks, but they stay in place when repeating playback without restarting.

Can you confirm this observation on your machine?

Re: Beginner - Importing a video with multiple audio tracks 5 months, 1 week ago #174742

• SKova
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
I do not see this on mine, the dropout appears at the same spot each time. It is only on the exported file also, not at all in the playback within Lightworks. The only thing I see in Lightworks is the A1 in the mixer that shows the artifacts and it is at the exact same spot each time.

I am on Window 10 64-bit (Version 10.0.16299.371) in case someone needs that also.

Re: Beginner - Importing a video with multiple audio tracks 5 months, 1 week ago #174759

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Köszönöm a választ, SKova!

Re: Beginner - Importing a video with multiple audio tracks 5 months, 1 week ago #174778

• SKova
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Szívesen.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
Scroll To Top