Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Converting video and choosing the proper fps rate

Converting video and choosing the proper fps rate 1 year, 11 months ago #156017

• toadiscoil
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 year, 11 months ago
Hi there!

I use Lightworks for just editing videos I upload to YouTube. I have to say the codecs are very impressive as it's the first editor I use that YouTube doesn't suggest to use the proper codec and the upload is super fast.

However I am trying to determine how to better shoot and edit the video footage for optimal quality.

I am using an iPhone 6S to record at 4K 30fps. I then created a couple of tests, one at a 30fps project and one at 60fps project. The 60fps seems to be smoother and I read online that it's because the frame are being double so it's an optical illusion to see it smoother. But it does seem to be better. My cameraman was shaking a lot and the 60fps version seems to minimize this as well.

My question is then what would be a better way? I selected once Mixed Mode and the results were horrible, the video was skipping frames and it was very jumpy.

I will paste the video links here and hopefully someone can help me decide what would be the optimal combination. I was also thinking should I shoot at 1080p 60fps, save some space on the phone for me more videos and edit at a 60fps project. I just need the optimal setup so any help is much appreciated.

All below videos shot at 4K 30fps

Video at 60fps project on Lightworks

Same video at 30fps project on Lightworks

The shaky video on Mixed Mode that got me thinking about experimenting with frame rates:

Thanks in advance!

Re: Converting video and choosing the proper fps rate 1 year, 11 months ago #156018

• toadiscoil
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 year, 11 months ago
Oh and a cherry on the top question. Is there a way to numerically determine the length of a still picture clip? As you see at the end of the videos I place a still picture. I drag the end to determine how long it will remain on-screen but I would like to specify a numeric value say 5 seconds duration for that still.

Re: Converting video and choosing the proper fps rate 1 year, 11 months ago #156021

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 11 months ago
It's usually best to select the project frame rate manually and not rely on auto. Mixed will use a frame rate which is a compromise, one that allows you to mix frame rates, this was done by creating a 24fps project in the past, they've just put mixed label on it.

Phones usually have a variable frtame rate, so this needs to be converted to a constant frame rate before importing. Many people use the Eyeframe converter with Lightworks.

60 fps is usually done at the shooting stage, so increasing the temporal resolution. Sports programmes and news use either 60p or 60i, the slower progressive frame rates are used on dramas and other productions wanting a filmic look. The choice is pretty much up to you.

You can select the running times for stills in the import window.
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by briandrys.

Re: Converting video and choosing the proper fps rate 1 year, 11 months ago #156022

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 11 months ago
For precise durations, instead of dragging the end of the clip, click on the end of the clip to unjoin it then hit the numpad + key and enter the number of frames to add to the duration of the clip then hit Enter. For an additional 5 seconds in a 30fps project, hit + 150 Enter. You can also move the playhead backwards in this way by using the numpad - key.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
Scroll To Top