Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Codec not supported

Re: Codec not supported 7 years ago #8891

So this may be the Swiss army knife we have been looking for. Did you manage to get the sound sorted out for AVCHD or are you still using Audacity?

Not so far. Transcoding 5.1 surround sound AC-3 audio with its 6 distinct tracks of audio must surely be a challenge for any conversion software. I will keep trying.
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 7 years ago by shaunthesheep.

Re: Codec not supported 7 years ago #8896

OK, I think I have found the right audio settings in Mediacoder to convert from .mts to .mp4 with 5.1 surround AC-3 audio transcoded to 5.1 surround sound AAC. The video is re-wrapped (not transcoded). The resulting file plays in VLC with both picture and sound OK. LW imports both video and all 6 surround sound audio tracks at the same time from the mp4 file thus eliminating the need to use Audacity.

I have done another pdf file showing the settings for all the relevant Mediacoder tabs.

The only weird thing is that the video frame rate is mysteriously changed from 25 fps to 50 fps even though "copy video" is selected on the video tab and "original" frame rate is selected on the picture tab. I don't understand why this happens.

These are the steps.

1. import the mts file into Medicoder.
2. on the video tab select "copy video" and "auto select" for both encoder and source.
3. On the picture tab select "original" for frame rate and "keep display AR" in the aspect ratio drop down menu.
4. On the audio tab:
a) select "LC-AAC" in format drop down menu
b) select "FAAC" in encoder drop down menu.
c) In the source drop down menu, select "MEncoder".
d) Make sure "copy audio" is deselected.
e) On the right hand side click the FAAC tab and select "mp4" for both the MPEG version radio button and the container drop down menu.
5. On the container tab select MP4.
6. On the sound tab in the channels drop down menu select "original"
7. Hit the start button.

An mp4 file is created very quickly that plays in VLC with both and sound OK.

Playback in LW

The imported footage does not play smoothly in LW but as drkuli pointed out in another thread this is very possibly down to LW's current problems with long GOP. Greg_E's winter road file played back in much the same way. Improved handling of long GOP is on the Lightworks roadmap

In the meantime, if you want the footage to play smoothly in LW, import the mp4 with Lightworks' transcode function using MPEG I-frame HD/AVI. There is a bitrate choice of 50 MB-250 MB. If you are importing from an external USB drive best use 50 MB bitrate as Greg_E suggests in an earlier post.

Keep the mp4 file for future use when LW's handling of long GOP is improved.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

Re: Codec not supported 7 years ago #8900

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years ago
Mediacoder seems to play XDCam EX files but I can't seem to get a file exported for testing in Lightworks, have to do more digging. Also Mediacoder seems to support the VFW codecs that we need to install to make Lightworks operate, it might be worth while to export directly into one of those codecs to allow Lightworks to handle the files. Again I am using words like "seems to" because I have not been able to prove these points.

Re: Codec not supported 7 years ago #8901

Something else that is strange. Mediainfo reveals that the original MTS file is 1920 x 1080 interlaced. It also shows that the mp4 created by Mediacoder is also 1920 x 1080 interlaced. See below. However, the import tool in LW displays the mp4 file as "HD 1080p" (see screen grab below).

Original MTS file Mediainfo analysis

General
ID : 0 (0x0)
Complete name : C:\Users\username\Desktop\Tom drinking milk_00001.MTS
Format : BDAV
Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
File size : 326 MiB
Duration : 2mn 37s
Overall bit rate : 17.3 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate : 18.0 Mbps

Video
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=26
Codec ID : 27
Duration : 2mn 38s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 16.2 Mbps
Maximum bit rate : 16.0 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.312
Stream size : 305 MiB (93%)

Audio
ID : 4352 (0x1100)
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Codec ID : 129
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 448 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : -80ms
Stream size : 8.44 MiB (3%)

Text
ID : 4608 (0x1200)
Format : PGS
Codec ID : 144
Duration : 2mn 37s
Delay relative to video : -80ms

MP4 created by Mediacoder Mediainfo analysis

General
Complete name : C:\Users\username\Desktop\Tom drinking milk_00001.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom
File size : 308 MiB
Overall bit rate : 16.3 Mbps
Writing application : Lavf52.61.0

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=26
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate : 15.9 Mbps
Maximum bit rate : 16.0 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 50.000 fps
Original frame rate : 25.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.154
Stream size : 300 MiB (98%)

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Bit rate : 372 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 7.01 MiB (2%)
Language : English

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Desktop

Laptop

Re: Codec not supported 7 years ago #8907

Greg_E wrote:
Mediacoder seems to play XDCam EX files but I can't seem to get a file exported for testing in Lightworks, have to do more digging. Also Mediacoder seems to support the VFW codecs that we need to install to make Lightworks operate, it might be worth while to export directly into one of those codecs to allow Lightworks to handle the files. Again I am using words like "seems to" because I have not been able to prove these points.

Do you mean use Mediacoder to transcode directly to MPEG I-frame HD/AVI rather than AVC/MP4? It would be good to be able to do both. One day in the near future LW will be able to handle long GOP better--it is on the roadmap. But in the meantime, it might be more pragmatic to transcode to MPEG I-frame HD. I see that Mediacoder has an option to use system codecs which presumably will include the Matrox VfW.
Desktop

Laptop

Re: Codec not supported 7 years ago #8910

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years ago
It would save a step if Mediacoder can transcode directly to one of the Matrox VFW codecs, which it seems like it can do, but I haven't fooled with enough to make it work.
Time to create page: 0.73 seconds
Scroll To Top