Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lightworks won't start

Re: Lightworks won't start 5 days, 6 hours ago #206028

• BrunoBorlon
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 days, 6 hours ago
Thank you for the answers.
So I have McaFee installed. I have turned off McaFee firewall and real life scanning and then tried to instal and launch, still the same.

As far as I can see Windows does allow Lightworks to modify C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks as I can see many lightworks files in there, including the previously shared logs.

The rest of the programs keep working well.

Thanks again for your help.

Re: Lightworks won't start 5 days, 6 hours ago #206030

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 days, 6 hours ago
The fact that the rest of programs on you computer run well, doesn't help much solving your problem with Lightworks, agreed?

Defender's functions and interference are much too complex, to be controlled by the provided basic interface - as most parts of Windows 10, by the way. Personally, I have the impression that Microsoft has scheduled to take remote control over my system, slowly, step by step.

You can only find out if the problem is caused by Defender Controlled Folder Access by disabling it entirely. That isn't only with Defender - I run Antivirus software from AVIRA which I have to uninstall entirely to disable all functions.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Lightworks won't start 5 days, 5 hours ago #206032

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 5 days, 5 hours ago
www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Allows one to disable defender - can't 100% recall if that needs to be followed by manually re-defining shared access to the subject folders.

Don't see any evidence of Microsoft wanting to take control of all computers world-wide running Win10 - on systems where access rules have been defined under 'deployment' tools Microsoft can be banned from any updates or allow only urgent security updates - indeed on a system here it was difficult, to the extent that the same 'deployment' had to be used, to allow Microsoft to perform a requested update.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Lightworks won't start 5 days, 5 hours ago #206033

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 days, 5 hours ago
If one knows about the internal dependencies and how the "Microsoft Deployment Toolkit" works precisely, one may be able to control Windows with it somehow, at least they say so. I have the toolkit installed and know the basics.

Currently I'm trying to grant access to VMware 12 which is blocked on my system since the last Windows update. I invested hours already, no success so far.

Any help truly appreciated.
Last Edit: 5 days, 5 hours ago by hugly.

Re: Lightworks won't start 2 days, 7 hours ago #206174

• BrunoBorlon
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 days, 7 hours ago
Hi,
So it seems to be working now. Here is what I did :
- Checked the windows event viewer and saw: “Faulting application name: ntcardvt.exe, version: 14.5.0.0, time stamp: 0x5bd1dd38 Faulting module name: LIBEAY32.dll, version: 1.0.2.6, time stamp: 0x5a9e80a3 Exception code: 0xc0000005”
- I than guessed that the crashes might have been linked to a part of lightwork not dealing well with the 64 bites.
- I then tried to install lwks 14.5 32 bites… and it worked.
- I then tried to reinstalled the 64 bites version … and it worked again!
I hope this can be of some help to anyone.
Thanks a lot for all your answers!

Re: Lightworks won't start 2 days, 4 hours ago #206181

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 days, 4 hours ago
An error code 0xc0000005 can be caused by a vast range of different things on Windows. It can be triggered by the program itself, hardware faults including memory problems, antivirus software, other programs interfering with the software, corrupt or damaged registry entries, Windows updates, and probably others that I can't immediately think of.

For future reference, if you ever get this again with Lightworks or any other program, google it. It's a common enough problem with Windows for there to be a considerable amount of help available on line.
Last Edit: 2 days, 4 hours ago by jwrl.

Re: Lightworks won't start 2 days, 4 hours ago #206182

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 days, 4 hours ago
BrunoBorlon wrote:
Checked the windows event viewer and saw: “Faulting application name: ntcardvt.exe, version: 14.5.0.0, time stamp: 0x5bd1dd38 Faulting module name: LIBEAY32.dll, version: 1.0.2.6

FWIW

I can find an error caused by "libeay32.dll" on the forum only once here, but it might be hidden in compressed event logs posted with Logs folder after similar events (crashes on first startup with randomly terminating error.log) as well.

"libeay32.dll" appears to be part of Open SSL on Windows (librypto on UX systems). It might be used during activation by Lightworks when connecting to the Lightworks server for activation.

Although it has been suggested that an apparent fix is possible by installing 32-bit Lightworks, still I suspect that the cause is some interference with third party software, or other issues very specific to the local computer.

From my point of view, due to it's nature being a security module, any (unrecoverable) OpenSSL error must be trapped as exception and logged in the error.log, if possible. Maybe not too late for V14.6?
Last Edit: 2 days, 4 hours ago by hugly.

Re: Lightworks won't start 2 days, 3 hours ago #206183

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 days, 3 hours ago
This problem is an event triggered by the O/S. It would be a little hard to trap it in the software and log it when the operating system immediately shuts down the app, preventing it from reporting the error.

In any case the failure mechanism that generated this particular instance is one of many possible triggers that will cause Windows to throw this error. You have made at least two assumptions about the possible cause. Assumptions aren't proof. Its association with libeay32.dll may be a symptom, not the cause.

I completely agree with you about the dubious nature of the "fix". I suspect that the most likely cause was probably some form of corruption during the original installation. A simple uninstall/reinstall of the original 64 bit version would probably have fixed it.

Re: Lightworks won't start 2 days, 3 hours ago #206185

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 days, 3 hours ago
jwrl wrote:
An error code 0xc0000005 can be caused by a vast range of different things on Windows
--- and don't I know it! For example; remain unable to run V14.6 Beta on the office computer - it's OK if I boot up from a clone of the original computer delivery HDD (yes that is the safety-backup start point for all computers here)- update that to current Win10 - and install 14.6 Beta - but that is far too disruptive to multiple business purposes of the office system to be practical - however does tend to indicate it as a mystery software issue in this case.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Lightworks won't start 2 days, 3 hours ago #206186

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 days, 3 hours ago
Over on the Avid forums there have been several users experiencing mystery crashes in full screen playback mode and when trimming after the latest flood of Microsoft updates. I have experienced several oddities on my previously stable system over that period too. The worst was when an attempt to format a USB drive caused Windows to overwrite my boot sector, requiring a complete system restore from an earlier system archive. Since I was mid-project that little exercise cost me two days of productive time. I have since had the dreaded RPC error - fortunately much simpler to fix than a system rebuild.

By the way, I was extremely surprised to be prompted to reboot or restart after update installation - I have had Windows auto updates disabled on that system almost since it started. Normally I prefer to control when updates are applied - that was overridden this time. In the past I would have kept my working system off the internet. With subscription software so prevalent nowadays that is no longer possible.
Last Edit: 2 days, 3 hours ago by jwrl.

Re: Lightworks won't start 2 days, 2 hours ago #206187

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 days, 2 hours ago
jwrl wrote:
In the past I would have kept my working system off the internet. With subscription software so prevalent nowadays that is no longer possible.
Yes, Still try to unplug from the networks as often as possible - often it's just inertia that keeps me on.
I have had Windows auto updates disabled on that system almost since it started. Normally I prefer to control when updates are applied - that was overridden this time

Current advice from Microsoft.
In Windows 10, any Group Policy user configuration settings for Windows Update are no longer supported on this platform.

I prefer now to go into this territory - on my Z840 system anyway -

docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/deployment/update/waas-wu-settings

So far it seems that ShutUp10 settings are respected on my other systems - so maybe SU10 do not use GroupPolicy?? That would be nice if true.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation
Last Edit: 2 days, 2 hours ago by RWAV.

Re: Lightworks won't start 2 days, 1 hour ago #206188

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 days, 1 hour ago
RWAV wrote:
Current advice from Microsoft.
In Windows 10, any Group Policy user configuration settings for Windows Update are no longer supported on this platform.

Nice. I can see lawsuits ahead...

Re: Lightworks won't start 1 day, 14 hours ago #206211

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 day, 14 hours ago
FWIW

Unfortunately, O&O ShutUp10 doesn't control the updates reliably anymore, even the most recent version 1.6.1403.

I fixed my problem with VMWare, for now, by rolling back the Windows updates to October 3 2019 and then, I disabled the updates from settings for the next 35 days, which is the upper limit Microsoft thinks to be good for me. The value is renewable manually, but without a valid system backup, you shouldn't forget doing that.

If the updates would be the only problem of Microsoft's current product policy, I wouldn't complain much.
Last Edit: 1 day, 14 hours ago by hugly.

Re: Lightworks won't start 19 hours, 13 minutes ago #206263

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 19 hours, 13 minutes ago
FWIW

Apparently, I found a way to suspend updates for as long as I wish, with simple Windows 10 onboard tools, no third party software needed. Nice, if it does what it says:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

I'll keep an eye on it. So far, it looks that I can upgrade VMWare 12 whenever I'm ready to spend the money. Some guys from Redmond don't seem to be entirely convinced that forced rolling updates is what all users really wish to participate.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds
Scroll To Top