Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can't open a project

Can't open a project 4 months, 3 weeks ago #191924

• JAMacAlister
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
I was experimenting with a couple of Boris effects, when Lightworks seized up. After killing the app, I couldn't re-open the project after re-loading Lightworks, even after a system reboot. I remember having this problem before, and the answer was to create a new room before going into the project.

I actually prefer the fixed layout, which doesn't use rooms, but I switched to flexible layout, created a new room and opened the project with no problems. I opened the last sequence I was editing, and the two effects are already missing from the sequence, which is good... at this point.

After exiting the project, I change my layout back to fixed (I never really liked the flexible layout), and try to open the project, and Lightworks crashes.

I've attached the latest error log which shows that lightworks got further this last time than when I checked this file a couple of crashes before when it only got to "Added media location : G:\Sound\", so I have no idea what's crashing it.
Win7-64, i5-661@3.33GHz, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650
Lightworks 14.5.0.0 (110128) full outright license.

Re: Can't open a project 4 months, 3 weeks ago #191925

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
Hello,

It's a know phenomenon that crashes on Windows can damage metadata in a way that trying to open a project crashes Lightworks again.

There's a long list of known issues of that kind which have been fixed, one by one, during V14.5 beta phase. Of course that doesn't mean that all potentially existing issues are fixed, but the number of reported incidents has decreased significantly.

Editing steps which lead to those crashes are not logged, thus error logs don't help much to find the cause in order to fix, but to see a zipped Logs folder won't hurt. What has really helped in the past is a copy of the project folders (P-folder and G-folder) untouched to investigate the damage. Did you make a copy of the project folders prior to fixing by creating a new room?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 4 months, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Can't open a project 4 months, 3 weeks ago #191930

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
JAMacAlister wrote:
I actually prefer the fixed layout, which doesn't use rooms, but I switched to flexible layout, created a new room and opened the project with no problems. I opened the last sequence I was editing, and the two effects are already missing from the sequence, which is good... at this point.

After exiting the project, I change my layout back to fixed (I never really liked the flexible layout), and try to open the project, and Lightworks crashes.

If you have not already done so, please make a copy of the project folders mentioned by "hugly".

Probably one of the rooms is damaged? If two rooms are available, then delete the not open:
Open the project in the flexible layout, open the room selection, place the mouse pointer on the preview of the unopened room, and click on the "X".

If you have multiple sequences in your project, I would test if all the sequences work. If everything works fine in the flexible layout, then please test if the fixed layout works.

If the fixed layout still does not work, then you can try to fix the project on a file level, or from backups, etc. (see "hugly" s post).

Alternatively, you can create a new project with an identical frame rate, and transfer all bug-free project content of the damaged project to the new project.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 4 months, 3 weeks ago by schrauber.

Re: Can't open a project 4 months, 3 weeks ago #191937

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
If the issue still persists after the attempts to fix, please zip and post the recent project folders. If you have an untouched backup of the state of the project folders just after the first crash, add those too.

To reveal the location of the project folders, hover with the mouse over the tile in project browser. The name of the folder starts with the letter "P", a second folder exists next to it, same name, but starting with "G". Both would be needed.

Re: Can't open a project 4 months, 3 weeks ago #191990

• JAMacAlister
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
I finally resolved this. I messed up in that I had opened the previous version of my sequence after restarting Lightworks, and the two offending effects were missing from that. When I open the latest version of the sequence in flexible layout, the two effects are still there. If I place the red marker inside those effects Lightworks locks up. I finally figured out that I can just resize those two effects down to nothing and that took care of the problem. I switched back to fixed layout and have no problems now.

Just to be sure, I made a copy of that fixed sequence and am editing the copy as I have had problems in v14.5 with weird things happening with a sequence that can't be seen (another bug I found) until you open a copy of that sequence. (I still need to open a discussion on that problem, but later - one disaster at a time.)

So far, I've had no problems with the copy of the sequence I resized the offending effects out of existence with. I'm still afraid to try two Boris effects at the same time because of this experience. Any and all Boris effects really drag down my computer whereas all Lightworks effects hardly introduce any delay if at all.
Win7-64, i5-661@3.33GHz, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650
Lightworks 14.5.0.0 (110128) full outright license.

Re: Can't open a project 4 months, 3 weeks ago #191994

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
As a user of the Pro version you can render demanding effects in the timeline for better performance.

Re: Can't open a project 4 months, 3 weeks ago #192071

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
Boris effects aren't really appropriate for real-time use without rendering, especially if they're being used as part of a group of effects. I regard it as mandatory to render effects when using Boris, in exactly the same way as I would with Fusion or any other third party effects package.
Last Edit: 4 months, 3 weeks ago by jwrl.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds
Scroll To Top