Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to create workspaces only accessible by one person

How to create workspaces only accessible by one person 6 months, 1 week ago #191435

• DNL
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
Is there a way to create workspaces that are accessible only by persons with passwords of some sort? Our machines are shared by many editors and we would like to prevent one editor from accidentally entering into and altering the project of another.

We are working on new iMacs and we can create separate accounts which can accomplish what we want but we are told that if there are too many such Mac accounts the machines run slow. (Is this true?)

In any case, is there a way to create secure work areas within LWKS?

Thanks.
LenovoThinkPad P70, Xeon E3, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro M3000M, SSD internal HD, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

Re: How to create workspaces only accessible by one person 6 months, 1 week ago #191436

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
Not really. There has been some kind of password handling in older versions which has been dropped with V14.0, as far as I can remember.

The best and most secure way is to use different user accounts on OS level with appropriate security settings.

On whatever OS , I can't imagine that the amount of existing user accounts makes machines slower, but more than one user working on a single machine simultaneously will affect performance.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 6 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: How to create workspaces only accessible by one person 6 months, 1 week ago #191470

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
DNL wrote:
We are working on new iMacs and we can create separate accounts which can accomplish what we want but we are told that if there are too many such Mac accounts the machines run slow. (Is this true?)

If your question about performance with multiple accounts refers to switching between active users with "Fast User Switching" mode enabled, then yes, I can imagine that this influences performance. With Fast User Switching enabled, it's possible to start some resource-hungry processes and then switch the user. The processes will run in the background until finished. I think that this feature is disabled on OSX by default (different from Windows), but you should check that. Needless to say that secure operation is only possible if the users do not have admin rights.

Just to clarify, for others who read this discussion and have similar questions: Running Lightworks on multiple accounts on OS level in order to separate project data will work on OSX (and most likely on Linux), even with the free version. It will not work on Windows, at least not without tweaks on startup, due to the structure of shared resources of Lightworks on Windows.
Last Edit: 6 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: How to create workspaces only accessible by one person 6 months ago #191609

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months ago
I suspect that your question refers to educational purposes.

As a matter of interest, have you successfully configured multiple users on OSX which use different login credentials on OS level but the same with Lightworks and does that work as expected under practical conditions?

As always, any feedback truly appreciated.

Re: How to create workspaces only accessible by one person 6 months ago #191621

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months ago
It is possible to create a directory junction from the Lightworks folder in the Public Documents folder to a folder on a thumb drive.

Install Lightworks the usual way for yourself.
Open and register with the user name and password that all the students will use.
Close Lightworks.
Attach a thumb drive you will use.
Copy the Lightworks folder in the Public Documents to the thumb.
Change the drive letter of the thumb drive to a letter far down in the alphabet, like S: or U:
Clone this thumb drive to as many thumb drives needed for each student.
One by one, attach these thumb drives and make sure they are all mounted as the same drive letter you used above.
Attach your thumb drive.
Delete all files and folders in the Public Documents Lightworks folder.
Open an Administrator command prompt and issue the command: mklink /J “C:\users\public\documents\Lightworks” “S:\Lightworks”
Replace S: with the drive letter you actually used above.
Open Lightworks and verify everything is working.
Now each student only needs to attach their thumb drive before using Lightworks and only their projects will be available to them.

One note: make sure you use fast thumb drives so reading and writing to the projects database is fast.

Oops. Just realized you are using macs. I don’t know if the process or something similar can be used in OSX.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver
Last Edit: 6 months ago by khaver.

Re: How to create workspaces only accessible by one person 6 months ago #191629

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months ago
Different from Windows, on OSX and Linux the Lightworks user folder is by default placed in the home directory of each user and thus part of the security system of the OS. The Windows structure of Lightworks with global registry key and public access to the user folder is legacy, a structure known for ancient single users systems like DOS and Windows 3.1.

Re: How to create workspaces only accessible by one person 6 months ago #191633

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months ago
OT .: How does "Project Sharing" work if some operating systems use different project folders for each person? (or have I misunderstood that?)

Personally, I love that I can open with different Windows user accounts, Lightworks based on identical project files and so on. (a single person with multiple windows accounts; Lightworks free license)
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 6 months ago by schrauber.

Re: How to create workspaces only accessible by one person 6 months ago #191652

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months ago
The problem of the current data structure on Windows is that it breaks design rules for secure access on multiuser systems.

File access of Project Sharing works based on network shares. The shared folders contain the project and the media folder, the rest of the assets, e.g. effects and licenses stay locally. Access rights on file level are controlled by the OS. Some locking and synchronization mechanisms, established in Lightworks, try to keep content consistent and synchronized. All that isn't documented well, but from some promotional videos of Flow Story I've watched, it appears that it works somehow.
Last Edit: 6 months ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.62 seconds
Scroll To Top