Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lightworks is open on my taskbar, but when I click on it nothing happens.

Lightworks is open on my taskbar, but when I click on it nothing happens. 12 months ago #182941

• sstetson
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 12 months ago
I am using Windows 10 and when I hover my mouse over Lightworks on the taskbar it shows me a preview of my projects like it normally does, however when I click on it nothing happens. Also last night when I was editing a project Lightworks suddenly froze and so did my computer. Eventually I had to press and hold the power button for my laptop to turn it off. I was thinking about uninstalling Lightworks and then reinstalling it, but I wanted to check with you guys first. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Re: Lightworks is open on my taskbar, but when I click on it nothing happens. 12 months ago #182943

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 12 months ago
Does Lightworks open when you use the other methods e,g from the "all prograns" or the on screen short cut?

Re: Lightworks is open on my taskbar, but when I click on it nothing happens. 12 months ago #182945

• sstetson
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 12 months ago
The program "opens" in the sense that it appears on my taskbar when I click on the icon on the taskbar, or the desktop shortcut, or just by going through my list of programs. But it doesn't show up on my screen. It's as if Lightworks has been permanently minimized for me. Also, I don't know if this will help, I am able to view the status window for Lightworks and the last thing it says is:
Activating DefaultVideo System Sound interrupt.

Re: Lightworks is open on my taskbar, but when I click on it nothing happens. 12 months ago #182947

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 12 months ago
I assume that you run Windows 10. When hovering with the mouse over the Lightworks symbol on the taskbar you should see two thumbnails, the status window and the main Window. Click on the thumb of the main window and see what happens.

If that fixes the issue and main window opens, search for the key assignment for "Toggle status window" and press the shortcut once to close status window.

And then, I'd suggest removing the shortcut assignment for "Toggle status window".
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 12 months ago by hugly.

Re: Lightworks is open on my taskbar, but when I click on it nothing happens. 12 months ago #182954

• sstetson
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 12 months ago
When I clicked on the main window nothing happened. However I just connected my laptop to my monitor at home, so I can have 2 screens, and now everything is fine.

Re: Lightworks is open on my taskbar, but when I click on it nothing happens. 8 months, 1 week ago #190100

• granth
  • Senior Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
Hi,
I suspect there is a bug.
I use a laptop, mostly with an attached 2nd HD (1920x1080) screen, but sometimes on the 1366x 768 built in screen.
If you were last working on Lightworks on the 2nd screen, then detach it, and open Lightworks later without it, it uses the screen coordinates of the (now detached) 2nd screen (I have seen other apps do this). It certainly does this sometimes, if not always. Desktop folk might not notice this, but as a pretty mobile laptop user I have seen it more than once.

You can also see that it doesn't handle physical screen size changes elegantly in flexible mode - opening a project on a smaller screen can leave (sub)windows inaccessible - sometimes you just see the bottom of the window (typically the project browser) - but it can't be moved until the project is opened on the large screen again. It is not a common use case, but if I was editing on the road, it could be a killer. And one of Lightworks' real features is that it runs well enough on a semi-decent laptop, where the "competitors" need a brick to even boot.
I am happy to repost as a bug if there is some agreement.

Grant H

System:
14.5.0.0 Production (free)
i7/ 12GB RAM/ Nvideo 620M GPU/ Fujitsu laptop

Re: Lightworks is open on my taskbar, but when I click on it nothing happens. 8 months, 1 week ago #190127

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
granth wrote:
... You can also see that it doesn't handle physical screen size changes elegantly in flexible mode ...

Yes, I also see that on the desktop when I change the window size.

However, the most important elements (viewers and timelines) were automatically repositioned if they were otherwise completely hidden outside the screen.
I may then have to close other elements, such as the Project Content Manager, to see the repositioned elements (with keyboard shortcuts if necessary).

Did you try to set up separate Rooms for the different screen dimensions? This should allow the flexible layouts to be optimized more optimally to the screen dimensions and your personal needs than would be automatically possible.
However, unintentional automatic layout adjustments may occur if you accidentally enter the wrong room with a small screen. When switching to the big screen, this unintentional layout change can be undone with "Tidy" if the appropriate "Set default position" has been set.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 8 months, 1 week ago by schrauber.

Re: Lightworks is open on my taskbar, but when I click on it nothing happens. 8 months, 1 week ago #190147

• granth
  • Senior Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
Thanks for testing it.

However, the most important elements (viewers and timelines) were automatically repositioned if they were otherwise completely hidden outside the screen
Mmm - if it's open, it's important to me. I have totally lost waveforms and audio mixers before. Closing and opening the browser does seem to help a bit.

Rooms are an idea. But I don't always know when I will be where. It would be nice if it just worked though! Certainly, the auto-tidy is not really an option, as I use bins to story board documentary/ newsy type stuff almost all the time. I would cry if I lost some of those layouts!

I think I'll put this up on the bug list then.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds
Scroll To Top