Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cannot open project

Cannot open project 4 years, 2 months ago #143390

I'm using the free version of Lightworks (64 v14.0 on Windows 10) and it seems the project file has become corrupted - potentially when it crashed earlier. Other projects can be opened without a problem, but trying to open the project I was working on immediately crashes Lightworks.

The error received is: 'Lightworks Editor Application has stopped working.'

Trying to create a new room in the project crashes Lightworks. Restore item(s) from backups crashes Lightworks.

I have attached the project file.

Please let me know what steps I should take to retrieve the project.

Attachment G0030145.odb not found

Re: Cannot open project 4 years, 2 months ago #143407

Fixed! We were able to open via a second computer, export archive, and open that on the first.

Re: Cannot open project 4 years, 2 months ago #143431

• hugly
  • Banned
  • 4 years, 2 months ago
Hello,

That sounds like an interesting workaround, for some kind of projects hanging on opening.

Would you mind to share the workflow how you made the apparently damaged project accessible to the second computer?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 4 years, 2 months ago by hugly.

Re: Cannot open project 2 years, 8 months ago #185965

• sulamithferrer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 8 months ago
Im sorry to ask whats probably simple, but how did you get your project onto another computer? I just installed light works on my desktop computer but found that none of the projects completed on my laptop came up.
I also am having the issue with the corrupted file.

Thank you!

Re: Cannot open project 2 years, 8 months ago #185970

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 8 months ago
You create an archive for each project, which includes the media, and copy that onto your other computer.
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by briandrys.

Re: Cannot open project 2 years, 8 months ago #185984

• hugly
  • Banned
  • 2 years, 8 months ago
Hello,

Because this thread is very old, it's not very likely that original poster will answer your question. In fact, they had some kind of monologue then, as it seems.

If you have trouble with a project crashing when trying to enter, please try V14.5 and see if it fixes the problem. You'll find it under Downloads on top of this page.

Re: Cannot open project 2 years, 8 months ago #186028

• sulamithferrer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 8 months ago
Thank you so much! You just saved me 7 days of work! I downloaded 14.5 and was able to open! Godsend.
Now it seems I'll need to relearn a couple things. Seems you can't extend a clip to a longer length by simply extending yellow cursors. Getting a red color when I do this. Would you be able to tell me where I can find a user guide for the beta? Thank you so much for your help again

Re: Cannot open project 2 years, 8 months ago #186031

• hugly
  • Banned
  • 2 years, 8 months ago
Pleasure!

There is no user guide for V14.5 beta. There might be a new user guide with V14.5 release, but I don't know.

I don't understand your question exactly, but if you mean trimming, V14.5 doesn't allow trimming of segments beyond clip limits, by default. You can change this behaviour from "Timeline Commands.Settings.Behaviour.Safe trimming", but I would recommend disabling safe trimming, because exceeding of clip limits trims in black frames.

Re: Cannot open project 2 years, 8 months ago #186034

• sulamithferrer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 8 months ago
Thank you again.
It seems you understood my question perfectly. I am actually working with only pictures. So there is no risk of black frames. With 14.00 I was able to just extend picture frame times by sliding the clip ends. Seems like this was in fact a safety feature added more beneficial to video clips. I will disable for now but keep in mind.
Thanks for awesome expertise!

Re: Cannot open project 2 years, 8 months ago #186037

• hugly
  • Banned
  • 2 years, 8 months ago
This is indeed a safety feature for video and audio only and it is possible to trim images to any length without disabling safe trimming, so do not disable it for the moment.

Hover with the mouse over a cut point until you see two white brackets (left/right), hold down ALT-key to toogle "Auto track sync" (another safety feature) and left-click. Now the single cut is unjoined to move the cut ("Move cut" is one of several trim modes), either with the mouse or with play and nudge commands. When finished press <TAB>-key (or click on the cut, or "Close" from trim preview window) to join..
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by hugly.

Re: Cannot open project 2 years, 8 months ago #186042

• sulamithferrer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 8 months ago
Hmmm. Trying this and it seems to "unjoin" however, when I try to nudge backwards (extending picture to start earlier in timeline) in the yellow bracket turns red. Does not let me nudge or drag to earlier in timeline. This was all that I used to do with 14.00

Re: Cannot open project 2 years, 8 months ago #186044

• sulamithferrer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 8 months ago
I just disabled the safe trimming and it worked. Was able to move the bracket backwards in the timeline just like before.

Re: Cannot open project 2 years, 8 months ago #186049

• hugly
  • Banned
  • 2 years, 8 months ago
I see, that's indeed behaviour I didn't expect to see, caused by safe trimming settings and not detected/reported by anyone during the entire beta phase of V14.1 and V14.5. So, obviously all people extend their images to the right, which works.

What's left? Trim to extend to the right or disable disable safe trimming.

Re: Cannot open project 2 years, 8 months ago #186051

• sulamithferrer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 8 months ago
Ah, makes sense.
Quick and easy fix ultimately.
Just thrilled to reopen my project
Thanks again!

Re: Cannot open project 1 year ago #219381

• EricNtseeg
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year ago
This post helped me. I was unable to move a cut to the left (using version 14.5.0.0) and now know that I can do that if I disable safe trimming. Due to the warnings not to do that, I always re-enable it after I have to move a cut to the left.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds
Scroll To Top