Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: LW12.5 on Win10 Pro x64: Unable to find lw3.ttf error on startup

LW12.5 on Win10 Pro x64: Unable to find lw3.ttf error on startup 3 years, 5 months ago #105633

• Pathduck
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 5 months ago
Hi! New to Lightworks trying to learn to use it... but I've encountered a problem when starting.

A message box comes up with the text: Unable to find lw3.ttf. The application won't start and waits for the dialog to close.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

The file is right there, in c:\Program Files\Lightworks\ next to lw2.ttf.

25.09.2015 07:44 592 520 Lightworks.exe
25.09.2015 04:22 15 216 lw2.ttf
25.09.2015 04:21 15 352 lw3.ttf

I am able to Tab to the OK button and then LW launches, but icons in a lot of places look like letters instead of icons.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

I've tried everything I can think of:
- Uninstall, reboot, reinstall
- Installing 32-bit version
- Installing in other directories
- Launching installer as Administrator

I still get the error on startup.

Any ideas? Like I said I'm new to Lightworks so possibly there's something I am doing wrong...

This is on Windows 10 Professional, 64-bit, 16GB ram, Geforce GTX970.
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by Pathduck.
The topic has been locked.

Re: LW12.5 on Win10 Pro x64: Unable to find lw3.ttf error on startup 3 years, 5 months ago #105641

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 5 months ago
I vaguely recollect someone having a similar problem some time back, but after a quick search I can't find the thread. My only suggestion is to try a reinstall. However, don't just repeat what you've already done, and don't delete your existing version just yet.

Download the version that you wish to install and put it on your desktop. Right click on the installer, and from the drop down menu that appears, choose "Run as administrator". When prompted for the location to install to, choose a different folder. For example, instead of "C:\Program Files\Lightworks" use "C:\Program Files\LW12.5" or whatever suits your fancy. Let the installation complete.

Launch that version and see if it works for you. You should be able to open any existing projects that you have and continue work. If you can do that, you can then uninstall the original (faulty) Lightworks version.

I know that this appears to repeat what you've already done, but when done in this order you should be OK. If it still fails, try copying the lw3.ttf file to your fonts folder. That should absolutely work. It's a dangerous fix, though, because if you install a later version of Lightworks you may introduce faults due to the presence of an older version of Lightworks on your system.

[EDIT] One final thought. I've attached a copy of the current lw3.ttf file. You might just try copying that over your existing one and see if that fixes things.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by jwrl.

Re: LW12.5 on Win10 Pro x64: Unable to find lw3.ttf error on startup 3 years, 5 months ago #105656

• Pathduck
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 5 months ago
Hi jwrl, thanks a lot for answering!

I have done some digging around the net, and turns out that for Windows 10 to "install" fonts it needs the Windows Firewall service to run. It sounds strange but that's the solution... weird indeed :/

www.404techsupport.com/2015/09/enable-windows-10-firewall-install-fonts/
superuser.com/questions/957907/unable-to-install-fonts-on-windows-10/

I had the service disabled because I have other fw software, and never had problems with software and fonts before. It's really strange that Lightworks failed, I guess it needs to somehow "install" the fonts on startup..?

The reason I found it is that I got an error also when trying to preview the font, and this applied to all TTF fonts on the system so I guessed it was related.

Anyway thanks a lot for your suggestions, hopefully I can now get back to learning some more

Stian

Re: LW12.5 on Win10 Pro x64: Unable to find lw3.ttf error on startup 3 years, 5 months ago #105679

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 5 months ago
Glad you were able to track it down and fix it. Windows 10 does some funny things...

Re: LW12.5 on Win10 Pro x64: Unable to find lw3.ttf error on startup 1 year, 6 months ago #162834

In Win10, just right click on the font's file and select installs.
You must have administrative rights in the machine.

Re: LW12.5 on Win10 Pro x64: Unable to find lw3.ttf error on startup 1 year, 6 months ago #162844

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 6 months ago
Thanks for trying to fix this problem. However replying to a user who posted on this one issue two years ago and hasn't been back is unlikely to be helpful. Whatever the cause, the software two years ago was quite different to the way that it is now. I don't recall seeing queries about this issue at all recently.

Because this relates to the installation of an obsolete version of the software I have locked this thread.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds
Scroll To Top