Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lightworks on Debian Buster extremly slow

Lightworks on Debian Buster extremly slow 2 weeks, 1 day ago #221132

• paulstonehope
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
Hi,
working with Lightworks for a while with a quite simple Hardware (m92p tiny i5-3470T Intel HD Graphics 2500). suitable for small projects.

Today I updated my hardware to ThinkStation P500, Xeon E5-1650 v3 with Nvidia Quadro K2200 hoping to get some more power.

Like on my previous system Debian Buster I installed the same Version of Lightworks 14.5 on the same OS. Of course I needed to include the latest NVIDIA Drivers. But surprisingly there was no big difference in the performance between these both different hardware-configurations.

Being confused, I installed LW 14.5 on a WIN10 installation on the same hardware. This Version of Lightworks, running on Windows10 runs smooth, like I expected on this hardware.

What is the difference? What am I doing wrong? I can't believe Linux can not offer what I want.

Is there anyone out there who has any idea of what makes my Linux slow? Thanks, Paul

Re: Lightworks on Debian Buster extremly slow 2 weeks ago #221144

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks ago
Hello,

I don't have any prudent answer to your question, but it's by no means unusual that the same software ported to different operating systems performs differently. Since contemporary applications use OS routines and high level libraries rather than direct hardware access, finding causes for differing performance is hard, with more complex application maybe even impossible.

From a practical point of view, if you have the choice, it's easy: Use the OS which a particular application runs best on.

Edit: You should consider upgrading to the most recent version, Lightworks 2020.1. Performance on multi core CPUs appears to be significantly better, at least on AMD hardware on Windows.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Lightworks on Debian Buster extremly slow 2 weeks ago #221148

Thank you for your answer.

I can understand, that there might be differences in performance on different OS. Sure. But I mean the difference is not like 100% to 90%. The difference feels like I am running the same thing with handbrake. Like 100% to 10% or even less. Up to now I do not see any reason to this. I tried Version 2020.1 with no change. I now made a GPU-Test within Lightworks. It shows:

Memory : 3.9 GB / 7.7 GB
CPUs : 12
Admin : No

Testing host to GPU transfer
252.56fps

Testing GPU to host transfer
322.34fps

Testing shader performance
114028.01fps

Testing playback performance
209.13fps

Testing render performance
72.88fps

Tests complete

Does this information tel anything about my problem? Thanks a lot.

Re: Lightworks on Debian Buster extremly slow 2 weeks ago #221150

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks ago
Those values surely mean something. However, the relationship between real world editing performance and those values is obscure. Users of this forum tried hard to find a simple relation in long discussions, with little success.

With Lightworks (and most other NLE's) the main worker is the CPU. The GPU is used for scaling, effects, and display. Since every frame has to be decoded on the CPU and scaled on the GPU, there's heavy traffic on the PCI-bus, which can lead to the observation that an integrated Intel GPU, which shares memory with the CPU, can be faster than a GPU with dedicated VRAM. Just one point out of many.

There's a long thread about comparing just the GPU performance between Windows and Linux. This link points to the part of the discussion referring to Lightworks 2020:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=217&id=150643&limit=15&limitstart=210&Itemid=81#210308

The naked truth is, if all your drivers, including chipset, are up to date, you have to live with what you have. On the other hand the internal proxy workflow is the cure to almost any performance problem on whatever hardware and operating system:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=217&id=194770&Itemid=81#194787
Last Edit: 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Lightworks on Debian Buster extremly slow 2 weeks ago #221154

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks ago
By the way, this analysis suggests that there's a performance problem with NVidia GPU's on Linux. Unfortunately, the database is quite small, consequently the values not very reliable.

If you are interested, join the party, download the test suite and publish your results on Windows and Linux in the other thread.

Re: Lightworks on Debian Buster extremly slow 2 weeks ago #221156

Thanks a lot for your help and information.

I will try to send some test results. At this moment I have decided not to keep my new hardware, as I have the option to send it back. I reverted to my old hardware now. So I also removed all proprietary drives from the system. If I find time tomorrow, I will try the native P500 + NVIDIA hardware with a complete new installation. And will test it.

regards, Paul
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
Scroll To Top