Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Image in Video Track Disappears during Obscure (mosaic) effect

Image in Video Track Disappears during Obscure (mosaic) effect 5 months ago #201721

Howdy. I'm running Lightworks 14.5.0.0 on Ubuntu Studio 18.04. I've got a project with one main video track, and a second track with a still image I want overlayed in the corner of the screen for the duration of the video. (It's a Bitcoin Cash donation address QR code.) The image shows up fine until a section of the video where I've blurred out a section of the screen using the "Obsure (mosaic)" effect. Whenever that effect is active, the still image just disappears.

Looking at the routing, when the Obscure effect starts the image gets routed into its 3D DVE effect, which then goes nowhere:

imgur.com/a/w4eU1Al

Is this expected behavior or a bug? And regardless, does anyone know how I should manually route it all so that the image stays in the picture when the blur effect is active? I've tried futzing with it myself, but haven't gotten it working with trial and error.

Thanks for any help!

Re: Image in Video Track Disappears during Obscure (mosaic) effect 5 months ago #201722

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months ago
Hello,

Please disconnect the red crossed out connection, and create the new yellow marked connection:
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Is the result the desired one?
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 14.6 Beta & 14.5; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: Image in Video Track Disappears during Obscure (mosaic) effect 5 months ago #201723

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months ago
Disconnect the bg input in the masked effect and connect the output of the DVE there instead.

Re: Image in Video Track Disappears during Obscure (mosaic) effect 5 months ago #201724

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months ago
And schrauber beat me! An alternative approach would be to use the triple DVE custom effect. You would be able to drop three effects and replace them with one. If you want to install it you'll find instructions here.

Re: Image in Video Track Disappears during Obscure (mosaic) effect 5 months ago #201725

That did it thanks! Any idea on whether there's a rationale behind this default behavior, or whether I should report this as a bug?

Re: Image in Video Track Disappears during Obscure (mosaic) effect 5 months ago #201726

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months ago
How did you create the effects in the FX2 track?
Did you add track V1 at a later time?

Lightworks tries to keep the connections to the original track, even if you add new tracks in between.
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: Image in Video Track Disappears during Obscure (mosaic) effect 4 months, 4 weeks ago #201856

Sorry for the slow reply, completely forgot about this thread. IIRC, to create the effects in the FX2 track I went to the VFX tab, clicked the plus sign, navigated to the "stylize" category, and double clicked the "Obscure (mosaic)". V1 was there before adding the FX track.

I notice now that I could have instead dragged the effect onto the track I wanted to blur itself, which doesn't result in a new, separate "FX Track", and doesn't have the same issue of breaking up the routing.

Should dragging the effect to the track always be my default? Are there situations where it makes more sense to have a separate FX track?

Thanks again for the help!

Re: Image in Video Track Disappears during Obscure (mosaic) effect 4 months, 4 weeks ago #201862

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 4 weeks ago
If you are using effects that have multiple inputs, there are often several ways in which these inputs can be interconnected. With multiple video tracks, the combination possibilities increase even more. Because Lightworks doesn't know your desired result, in many cases it makes sense to check whether the automatic routing needs to be corrected manually.

jlmoriart@gmail.com wrote:
.. Should dragging the effect to the track always be my default?
That depends on your project, and a personal preference.
You can, for example:
- Add "folded" effects to a segment with the right mouse button menu.
- Copy, drag and drop effects between segments with the mouse button pressed down.
- Use the "Apply effects" button to add these effects to one or more segments folded at the same time according to selectable criteria, or unfolded in FX tracks.
And there are even more possibilities.

jlmoriart@gmail.com wrote:
.. Are there situations where it makes more sense to have a separate FX track?

For example, if you want to use an effect independently of the clip segments and their length, especially across segment boundaries.

Examples:
- Format changes for the entire video to be exported.
- Texts, fades, timers, etc. without reference to a segment or track.
- Video effects that are more related to background music audio than to a video segment (for example, fill flashes corresponding to the music beat).
- Some matte effects (without input) that can only be inserted in an FX track. (embedded in a routing, there are ways to fold this routing)

To my knowledge, there are no fixed rules. Personally, I try to keep the number of FX tracks low.
Last Edit: 4 months, 4 weeks ago by schrauber.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds
Scroll To Top