Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: ¿Memory leak with Manjaro Linux?

¿Memory leak with Manjaro Linux? 1 month, 3 weeks ago #195419

• ripomac
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Hi. I use a 11 year old Macpro 3.1 (2.8Ghz x 8 Xeon processor, 10 Gb ram on a 120Gb SSD. 256Mb original Radeon graphic card) with Manjaro Budgie first and now XCFE. In the last 2 years i used Lightworks with 1080p material with no particular problems. It was fluid and the render times where short. Now i must use 4K material (from drones and Lumix GX80) and have problems with the memory. With XFCE the 4K clips work not very smooth, but usable if you don't apply effects. Whith Budgie it was unsusable. My problem is that at rendering or making proxies the MacPro freezes or Lightworks crashes. I controlled the memory and you can see that at certain point the memory use comes to get highter and highter until it fills all the avaible and crashes. It's very annoying and makes it almost unusable. I tried with the same clips in Kdenlive and there is no problem. No freezes and no problems. I'm planing to buy a new computer, but i think the problem can persist. ¿Any solutions? I am aware that my mac is very old, but it works great with linux and the render times are not very long (40 minutes for a 4K 3 min. clip with 2 luts and a few corrections) and serves me very well

Attachment error.log not found

Last Edit: 1 month, 3 weeks ago by ripomac.

Re: ¿Memory leak with Manjaro Linux? 1 month, 3 weeks ago #195426

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Hello,

I don't have a solution for you. Basically, memory leaks might exists. However, from my understanding of the systems, with the same kernel/version and the same drivers/versions, switching the GUI shouldn't have impact to memory leaks caused by Lightworks.

Where do you see memory increasing with Budgie continuously, on CPU or GPU?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: ¿Memory leak with Manjaro Linux? 1 month, 3 weeks ago #195428

• ripomac
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Whith Budgie desktop installation the ram get filled slowly to 99% and then Lightworks fills the swap (10Gb). When the swap get maxed the system crashed. The processor use is normal and is not the problem. Now i have a new XFCE install and the problem persists. As i told before, same clips and similar project works great in Kdenlive using 80% of the ram.

Re: ¿Memory leak with Manjaro Linux? 1 month, 3 weeks ago #195429

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
V14.6 beta has been announced to be released soon, here. Since major changes are mentioned, who knows, maybe it fixes the problem out of the box?
Last Edit: 1 month, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: ¿Memory leak with Manjaro Linux? 1 month, 3 weeks ago #195430

• ripomac
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
I hope so. Lightworks is really good and served me well.

Re: ¿Memory leak with Manjaro Linux? 1 month, 3 weeks ago #195494

• ripomac
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Hi. Yesterday i installed Ubuntu Studio in another hard drive to test this behavior. Same result, filled the ram and crashes very quickly. This morning (in Manjaro XFCE)i converted all the clips with handbrake (production settings 540p). Made a 10 minutes long video whit all the scenes and applied a lut. Trashed the proxies and put the original clips into the folder. The render took aprox. 90 minutes to make a 10 minutes 4K mp4. All worked perfect. No crashes. The ram maxed at 85% at the end of the render and the processor at 48%.
Sorry for my limited english.

Re: ¿Memory leak with Manjaro Linux? 1 month, 3 weeks ago #195502

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for the feedback.

Now, the question is, how could that be?
Last Edit: 1 month, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: ¿Memory leak with Manjaro Linux? 1 month, 3 weeks ago #195503

• ripomac
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
hugly wrote:
Thank you for the feedback.

Now, the question is, how could that be?

Good question.

Re: ¿Memory leak with Manjaro Linux? 1 month, 3 weeks ago #195518

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Keep an eye on it. If you can find a simple setup with material you can share which allows reproducing a memory leak reliably, come back and tell.

Re: ¿Memory leak with Manjaro Linux? 2 weeks ago #197383

• ripomac
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks ago
The last week i received a loaned 27" iMac 13.2 (mid 2012). It came with 24Gb of ram. Processor wise it is on par with my old MacPro. But the graphic card makes a great difference. Proxie creating time was about the same, but the same heavy 4K project that took 2 hours of render time for the MacPro, now was made in around 30 minutes. No crashes making proxies or rendering. The operating system i use now is Ubuntu Budgie 18.04.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds
Scroll To Top