Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lightworks 14.5 PRO nearly unusable...freezing often, sometimes crashes my system.

Re: Lightworks 14.5 PRO nearly unusable...freezing often, sometimes crashes my system. 4 months ago #194831

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months ago
thesunray wrote:
I am curious, would nearly everyone out there always use proxies when working with 4K videos? Is that just how it's done?

Yes, I think that's the case. Proxies do have many advantages and it leaves the door open for higher resolutions, 8K and above without the need to invest in computer power of a render farm just to edit video. With proxies you can edit a 720p webcam recording and a hollywood blockbuster scanned in 16-bit RGB from film on the same laptop.

Thanks for testing the Handbrake settings.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 4 months ago by hugly.

Re: Lightworks 14.5 PRO nearly unusable...freezing often, sometimes crashes my system. 4 months ago #194835

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 4 months ago
Nothing 'insane' about QFHD (guessing that's the format being discussed) file sizes.

The following shows size information for 25 frames exported from LW as four variants of Cineform and as a 10 bit DPX sequence.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

The lowest LW size is about 30:1 compression based on 10 bit DPX - some might consider that marginally acceptable for editing and work-in-progress screening.

No matter if one is a beginner or a high end film production facility the rules of mathematics apply equally.

If hardware specification, including HDD capacity and speed is not up to that task then one wonders if opting for a lower size edit-unfriendly inter-frame codec will (a) offer much better performance or (b) be anything like acceptable editing quality.

Perhaps it would be good to have DNxHD as a proxy option but failing that Cineform offers fine alternatives.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Lightworks 14.5 PRO nearly unusable...freezing often, sometimes crashes my system. 1 month, 1 week ago #199547

• Haxnicks
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
I've tried this but when i get to the last bit I don't have the Media option on the menu. is that only available in the paid version?

Re: Lightworks 14.5 PRO nearly unusable...freezing often, sometimes crashes my system. 1 month, 1 week ago #199548

• Haxnicks
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
I've tried this but when i get to the last bit I don't have the Media option on the menu. is that only available in the paid version?

Re: Lightworks 14.5 PRO nearly unusable...freezing often, sometimes crashes my system. 1 month, 1 week ago #199549

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
It isn't a Pro feature, the Pro version just has a few more formats to choose from.

The fifth entry top-down of the sub menu 'Clip Commands' in your screenshot is 'Media'.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
Scroll To Top