Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: [Solved] Lightworks 14 on Debian Stretch 9

Re: [Solved] Lightworks 14.5 on Debian Stretch 9 9 months ago #186708

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 months ago
That's from Tech Specs:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: [Solved] Lightworks 14.5 on Debian Stretch 9 8 months, 1 week ago #187957

• leondante
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
Well... Here's another one who want it to work in Debian 9.0.5. Amazingly sad this kind of issues.

For real there is no way to do lwks to work with this new libraries without installing another OS in the PC?

Re: [Solved] Lightworks 14.5 on Debian Stretch 9 8 months, 1 week ago #187959

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
I suspect that this matter got lost in the forum, so it may not have got mentioned in the V14.5 beta development.
Last Edit: 8 months, 1 week ago by briandrys.

Re: [Solved] Lightworks 14 on Debian Stretch 9 8 months, 1 week ago #187962

• leondante
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
OK, as I really need Lightworks and I really love my Debian 9, I'll try to do it my way.

I took the libjpeg8 version 'c' for the Ubuntu stuff, called 'libjpeg8_8c-2ubuntu8_amd64.deb', here:

https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/18.04/ubuntu-main-amd64/libjpeg8_8c-2ubuntu8_amd64.deb.html

It depends on 'libjpeg-turbo8', so I download it too because I have not it, it is here:

https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/18.04/ubuntu-main-amd64/libjpeg-turbo8_1.5.2-0ubuntu5_amd64.deb.html

I uninstalled the actual libjpeg8 version 'd' I have in my Debian, using this:

# dpkg -r libjpeg8:i386

And I installed the couple I just downloaded, with this command:

# dpkg -i libjpeg8_8c*.deb libjpeg-tur*.deb

To configure and prepare the stuff, I tried again installing lightworks with 'dpkg -i light*.deb' command and after that, I used 'apt -f -install' to force it to configure them.

It seems to work...

I'll reboot and test it now. I don't want to run it without rebooting.

As I don't think I'll need some kind of JPEG compressor in my PC for any other purposes, I don't care to have an old package for that in my PC.

If it fails I'll tell you later.

Re: [Solved] Lightworks 14 on Debian Stretch 9 8 months, 1 week ago #187963

• leondante
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
PRETTY IMPORTANT to use this so it's NOT automatically updated:

# sudo apt-mark hold libjpeg8

Re: [Solved] Lightworks 14 on Debian Stretch 9 8 months, 1 week ago #187965

• leondante
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
OK, I just rebooted it and just tested it and... IT WORKS PERFECTLY!! I imported some videos and make some basic things and it seems to go fluid an nice. Hope it stays that way for some time...

Re: [Solved] Lightworks 14.5 on Debian Stretch 9 8 months, 1 week ago #187966

• leondante
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
I suspect that this matter got lost in the forum, so it may not have got mentioned in the V14.5 beta development.

I'll move it to the Linux section of the forum, where it's more likely to be noticed.

Thank you very much for it, I really appreciate it. I think that Debian is one of the mother distros of Linux, it has no sense that is not officially supported. Thank you again.
Last Edit: 8 months, 1 week ago by leondante.

Re: [Solved] Lightworks 14.5 on Debian Stretch 9 8 months, 1 week ago #187970

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
People like you trying to solve a problem and sharing the solution are the essence of this forum. I think, the workaround you outlined above will make many Debian users happy.

Thumbs up!
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: [Solved] Lightworks 14.5 on Debian Stretch 9 8 months ago #188210

Thanks LeonDante for sharing your solution... I'm not in front of the good pc for thes days... As soon as i'll have it I try your proposition and give feed back... Thanks to all!!

Re: [Solved] Lightworks 14 on Debian Stretch 9 7 months, 3 weeks ago #188866

• sharamun
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 months, 3 weeks ago
leondante:

I'll second that. Very helpful post which solved the dependency problems for lightworks-14.5.0-amd64.deb as well on Debian 8.11 (Jessie), though the direct download links (w/corrected second link for libjpeg-turbo8) are:

archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/libj/libjpeg8-empty/libjpeg8_8c-2ubuntu8_amd64.deb

archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/libj/libjpeg-turbo/libjpeg-turbo8_1.5.2-0ubuntu5_amd64.deb

There was a conflict w/libturbojpeg1 so I had to remove that first, but after that the installation went smoothly and Lightworks 14.5.0 successfully runs. For reference, here are the executed commands to complete the installation (as root):

# dpkg -r libturbojpeg1 libjpeg-turbo-progs xscreensaver-data-extra
# dpkg -i libjpeg8_8c-2ubuntu8_amd64.deb libjpeg-turbo8_1.5.2-0ubuntu5_amd64.deb
# dpkg -i lightworks-14.5.0-amd64.deb

Thanks for the solution and to the Lightworks team for providing such an excellent video editing tool on Linux!!!

Re: [Solved] Lightworks 14 on Debian Stretch 9 4 months, 3 weeks ago #193945

• Yuka.Cachaca
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
Thanks to all of you for your answers. I also reached to install lightworks on debian stretch...
For libssl1.0.0 I downloaded the last one from ubuntu repositories:
libssl1.0.0_1.0.2n-1ubuntu6_amd64

Good work !!

Mixing releases and distributions is a bad omen 3 months, 4 weeks ago #195023

• grinapo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 4 weeks ago
Sorry for disturbing, but generally it is a bad practice to mix up releases, and even worse to mix up different distros.

It would be much more elegant if the developers would actually pull up a debian9 VM and try to compile their stuff in it, using the proper libjpeg9(-dev) distributed in newer Debian (and based distros) instead of depending an old library. Especially true for libssl1.0 since it's been phased out due to extensive amounts of security problems.

Debian developers aren't out to make your life harder but they are following the development of stuff, and if the libjpeg8 gets replaced by libjpeg9 by their developers then Debian follows, and dependence on an old lib start to make the system non-upgradeable in the long run. Since Debian *stable* is now out, it'd be nice to compile using its actual libs. Ubuntu will phase out old libs anyway, too.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds
Scroll To Top