Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Huge GPU tests difference between Linux and Windows Lightworks 14 on the same machine

Huge GPU tests difference between Linux and Windows Lightworks 14 on the same machine 2 years, 2 months ago #150643

• MarLondon
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 years, 2 months ago
I use Lightworks on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, updated proprietary Nvidia drivers etc. I tried, just for test, to install Lightworks 14 free on Windows 7 on the same machine. And lauching the GPU tests I noticed a big performance difference.
I don't know if is a problem of my system or could be a lack of performance of Lightworks 14 for Linux.
So can someone of you try to do the same test please? Try to do the same GPU test on Windows for 4/5 times to have an average behavior. And compare it on Linux on the same machine if you have both systems installed. My results down here.

GPU Tests Windows 7 Ubuntu 16.04
Host to GPU transfer 393.58fps 133.73fps
GPU to Host transfer 345.93fps 145.75fps
Shader performance 138713.16fps 55953.61fps
Playback Performance 363.42fps 123.97fps
Render Performance 172.8fps 48.66fps

I have an old intel i5 with 8GB Ram with a Nvidia GTX 1060
Ubuntu works on SSD and Windows on normal Hard Disk so the disk couldn't be the cause of the difference.
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by MarLondon.

Re: Huge GPU tests difference between Linux and Windows Lightworks 14 on the same machine 2 years, 2 months ago #150645

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 2 months ago
Hello,

All tests I’ve made and compared with other users show non-explainable differences. Long discussions exist on this forum about this issue and the causes, even NVidia staff was present.

Until a responsible official chimes in and tells the opposite (together with an explanation of the differences), I will continue saying that the internal Lightworks performace test is full of bugs. It produces not comparable results which do not represent real values.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Huge GPU tests difference between Linux and Windows Lightworks 14 on the same machine 2 years, 2 months ago #150647

• MarLondon
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 years, 2 months ago
Your reply made me very sad. I'm not an happy pro user.
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by MarLondon.

Re: Huge GPU tests difference between Linux and Windows Lightworks 14 on the same machine 2 years, 2 months ago #150650

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 2 months ago
I'm a happy Free user and it wasn't my intention to make you sad.

Try to compare real export performance between the systems using a piece of (multitrack) video with some blend effects on it.
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by hugly.

Re: Huge GPU tests difference between Linux and Windows Lightworks 14 on the same machine 2 years, 2 months ago #150651

• gr00by
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 2 months ago
MarLondon wrote:

Is linux really slower (in a real action, not in tests)? My observations between macos and linux shows better results for linux (during work). Can't say anything about Windows.
Canon C100 -- Manjaro Linux User

Re: Huge GPU tests difference between Linux and Windows Lightworks 14 on the same machine 2 years, 2 months ago #150652

• MarLondon
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 years, 2 months ago
Ok

Re: Huge GPU tests difference between Linux and Windows Lightworks 14 on the same machine 2 years, 2 months ago #150657

• MarLondon
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 years, 2 months ago
gr00by wrote:
MarLondon wrote:

Is linux really slower (in a real action, not in tests)? My observations between macos and linux shows better results for linux (during work). Can't say anything about Windows.

I love linux and works fast good in my system, this is why I chose Lightworks for editing. Lightworks also seems to works good in linux.
But I didn't do any other real performance test between the Linux and the Windows version, except for the simple GPU test, which I thought was trustworthy.

Re: Huge GPU tests difference between Linux and Windows Lightworks 14 on the same machine 2 years, 2 months ago #150662

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 2 months ago
which I thought was trustworthy.

Trust, but verify!

An old russian saying..

Re: Huge GPU tests difference between Linux and Windows Lightworks 14 on the same machine 2 years, 2 months ago #150663

• gr00by
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 2 months ago
Trust, but verify!

My wife probably hates me for this.
Canon C100 -- Manjaro Linux User

Re: Huge GPU tests difference between Linux and Windows Lightworks 14 on the same machine 2 years, 2 months ago #150703

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 2 months ago
hugly wrote:
Until a responsible official chimes in and tells the opposite (together with an explanation of the differences), I will continue saying that the internal Lightworks performace test is full of bugs. It produces not comparable results which do not represent real values.

MarLondon wrote:

MarLondojn, hugly is just another user like you, and as far as I'm aware, is not even a particularly experienced editor. He posts frequently and with a voice of great authority, but that doesn't necessarily reflect the actuality.

His statement is pure guesswork, and, I believe, totally wrong. Lightworks relies heavily on the performance of the GPU and its drivers to produce its results. Unless you can test the same GPU using the same driver on all three platforms you can't draw any conclusions whatsoever about the reliability or otherwise of Lightworks performance test.

Even if it was possible to have exactly the same driver on all three platforms - and it isn't - the test will be affected by any background tasks being run by the OS. The results that you get will reflect what Lightworks needs to do to get an image on screen on that system with that hardware and software at that moment in time. That's all that you can really hope for.

For what it's worth, under controlled conditions I have found the test consistent enough to trust it for what it aims to be - a comparative assessment of the performance differences between computers set up as edit systems. That opinion comes from a working editor with 25+ years experience of this program. You can accept it or not as you see fit.
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by jwrl.

Re: Huge GPU tests difference between Linux and Windows Lightworks 14 on the same machine 2 years, 2 months ago #150715

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 2 months ago
@ MarLondon

it is also for me a real puzzle:

I get even on the same computer with different linux OS different gpu test results. As I often have trouble with video performance under linux (also with Blender, kdenlive, etc) I think this is a linux / driver problem that is hard to circumvent. I run for example Linux mint (ubuntu) and manjaro (arch based) on one machine, and the test results in linux mint are at the moment much better than the results on manjaro, although manjaro has the newer amdgpu support etc. for my graphics card. So I d say performance on linux system can be very good , but it s still depending very much on the credentials (specific mix of hardware and OS (drivers, kernels...)) that makes it happen...
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by kalimerox. Reason: added infos

Re: Huge GPU tests difference between Linux and Windows Lightworks 14 on the same machine 2 years, 2 months ago #150717

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 2 months ago
jwrl,

Start Lightworks and execute GPU test once, note shader performance, then a sceond time and a third time and and see shader performance drifing away to completely weird values.

I still believe that the best method to compare systems is to compare export performance with selected test edits.

Re: Huge GPU tests difference between Linux and Windows Lightworks 14 on the same machine 2 years, 2 months ago #150729

• mediaDS
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 2 months ago
@hugly,

I did exactly that and the results were almost the same on my system. I also tried it on different days (rain or sun) and different moon phases - the results were always almost the same. Yes, they drift a little bit but that should be normal.

What the original poster did not say was what driver version did he use in Linux.

My quick GPU test (Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, GTX1060 6GB with driver 382.53):

Host-to-GPU: 976.91 fps
GPU-to-Host: 587.33 fps
Shader Performance: 52244.31 fps
Playback Performance: 1085.55 fps
Render Performance: 315 fps

Of course the values are different from Linux on the same hardware but please keep in mind that Windows uses completely different drivers and paths for accessing the GPU. And I am not even shure if you could "feel" any difference in daily working with Lightworks. And it also might be that the Linux drivers are not that highly optimized, compared to the Windows driver.

I myself could not see or "feel" a big difference between Ubuntu 16.04 with the 381.x driver or Windows 10 and driver 382.x on the same machine. I could work with both fluently.

Edit - a second run of the GPU test. Nothing weird here:

Host-to-GPU: 947.94 fps
GPU-to-Host: 563.87 fps
Shader Performance: 64097.75 fps
Playback Performance: 1084.14 fps
Render Performance: 311.03 fps
Windows 10 Pro • Asus Z170 Mainboard • Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake, 4 x 4.20 Ghz • 32 GB DDR4 Memory • Noctua Cooling system • Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 6GB DDR5 • Blackmagic Intensity Pro • Samsung SSD 840 500 GB (Data) and 250 GB (System) • 30 TB Asustor NAS (Media) • LG 34UB67 21:9 Ultra-Wide Display 34" @ 2560x1080 • Logitech Bluetooth K810 and M557 • Wacom Intuous Wireless Graphic Tablet • Contour ShuttleXpress • APC Back-UPS 1400VA
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by mediaDS.

Re: Huge GPU tests difference between Linux and Windows Lightworks 14 on the same machine 2 years, 2 months ago #150731

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 2 months ago
I have a "drift" of factor 5 in shader performancce on a Window system, simply be executing GPU test three times without re-starting Lightworks. What I see right now, shader performance is 162,521.83 frames per second and I do not use a quantum computer.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Others reported about similar things. You're reporting about a slight drift on Linux.

Well, that's why I say the results aren't trustworthy.

Re: Huge GPU tests difference between Linux and Windows Lightworks 14 on the same machine 2 years, 2 months ago #150732

• mediaDS
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 2 months ago
hugly wrote:
I have a "drift" of factor 5 in shader performancce on a Window system, simply be executing GPU test three times without re-starting Lightworks. What I see right now, shader performance is 162,521.83 frames per second and I do not use a quantum computer.

I assume the Shader Performance is the least stable value because of the system using shaders all the time and interfering with the GPU test. But a programmer could anser this question better.

You're reporting about a slight drift on Linux.

Thats not what I wrote, please read again.

And yes, you are right - I would never trust any such values. But they are a good indication about your system performance. But never try to compare the values between totally different operating systems, even on the same hardware.
Windows 10 Pro • Asus Z170 Mainboard • Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake, 4 x 4.20 Ghz • 32 GB DDR4 Memory • Noctua Cooling system • Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 6GB DDR5 • Blackmagic Intensity Pro • Samsung SSD 840 500 GB (Data) and 250 GB (System) • 30 TB Asustor NAS (Media) • LG 34UB67 21:9 Ultra-Wide Display 34" @ 2560x1080 • Logitech Bluetooth K810 and M557 • Wacom Intuous Wireless Graphic Tablet • Contour ShuttleXpress • APC Back-UPS 1400VA
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by mediaDS.
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
Scroll To Top