Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Suggestion: provide Lightworks as distro-agnostic package

Suggestion: provide Lightworks as distro-agnostic package 2 years, 8 months ago #132536

• taohansen
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 8 months ago
Not every one uses a deb or rpm-based distro. There are packaging formats that ensure compatibility with all flavors of Linux: Snap, Flatpak, and AppImage. With new releases of Lightworks, I suggest the team picks one of these universal formats to package in, in addition to present .deb and .rpm.

Re: Suggestion: provide Lightworks as distro-agnostic package 1 year, 10 months ago #159684

• muxer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 10 months ago
I agree 100% with this suggestion! I use Debian 9.2 but it still requires me to install about 542M of file's I'd rather not install just to meet dependencies for Kdenlive. I am currently using Openshot as an appimage, and it works perfectly. I downloaded it directly from their website. That allowed me to use the newest version instead of a much older one from a repository.

I hope someone up the food chain sees these messages.

Re: Suggestion: provide Lightworks as distro-agnostic package 1 year, 9 months ago #164462

Appimage is perfect for a project like lightworks. Why aren't they using it yet?

We win because we can run lightworks reliably on out fancypants distros, and lightworks won't have to worry about supporting us.

It's great that both rpm and deb are available, that's better than most software but they still have to deal with dependency version issues.

Just pack it up in an appimage.

Re: Suggestion: provide Lightworks as distro-agnostic package 1 year, 9 months ago #164540

• gr00by
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
I believe that devs will do it in a "right time". Currently they're working on a minor release (14.1). And because changing a pkg format may introduce new problems, it is better to stay with deb/rpm a while. V14.1 solves portaudio and wayland issues, so that's enough in most cases. The most important are improvements and bugfixes of Lightworks, I think.

BR,
M
Canon C100 -- Manjaro Linux User

Re: Suggestion: provide Lightworks as distro-agnostic package 1 month, 1 week ago #202805

• adnervl
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Snap or FlatPak please!! auto updates
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
Scroll To Top