Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Audio out of synch after exporting PS3 gameplay

Audio out of synch after exporting PS3 gameplay 4 years, 3 months ago #95024

• Kime Strider
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
Hello, I am fairly new to Lightworks and video editing in general, and I'm having a recurring problem when I try to export an MP4 video of a PS3 gameplay I recorded using an HD PVR Rocket. Whenever I play the raw video it looks perfectly fine, but after exporting the file using Lightworks, video ends up with an audio delay of a few seconds and I can't figure out why. I don't even edit the video, just import and export in Lightworks.

Here's the Mediainfo file of the video in question:

General
Complete name : C:\Users\Kimera\Videos\ROCKET\ACtest.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42
File size : 824 MiB
Duration : 13mn 25s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 8 579 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2015-06-23 04:36:13
Tagged date : UTC 2015-06-23 04:36:13

Video
ID : 2
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Baseline@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC : No
Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=120
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 13mn 25s
Source duration : 13mn 25s
Bit rate : 8 449 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 58.834 fps
Original frame rate : 58.941 fps
Minimum frame rate : 0.681 fps
Maximum frame rate : 62.500 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.156
Stream size : 811 MiB (98%)
Source stream size : 811 MiB (98%)
Language : English
mdhd_Duration : 805800

Audio
ID : 1
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Duration : 13mn 24s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 125 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 222 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 12.0 MiB (1%)
Language : English

I was reading around the forums and from what I understood it probably has something to do with the framerate being variable? I'm not entirely sure, but even if that's the problem I have no idea how I could fix it, so any help would be highly appreciated.

Note: PC specifications are in my profile in case they're needed. Couldn't find where to put a signature.
Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by Kime Strider.

Re: Audio out of synch after exporting PS3 gameplay 4 years, 3 months ago #95025

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
Welcome to the forum.

You'll note there's a variable frame rate, this is a common issue with games and phones. You need to convert it to a constant frame rate, try using Eyeframe or Cliptoolz.

Re: Audio out of synch after exporting PS3 gameplay 4 years, 3 months ago #95050

• Kime Strider
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
Thanks for the quick answer! I converted the video with Eyeframe before importing and exporting in Lightworks and the audio delay it's completely gone !

Just one question though. Is it normal for the file size to increase so much? The original video is 13 min long and 824 MB, but after converting it with Eyeframe it goes up to 15.5 GB, and I can't help but be worried of what would happen with longer videos ...

So, is there any way to prevent the file size from increasing so much or do I just have to deal with it?

Re: Audio out of synch after exporting PS3 gameplay 4 years, 3 months ago #95054

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
That's one of the things you will have to contend with. There are two issues in capture software that force you to produce larger files for editing. The nature of the transcode is to have a fully rendered image for each frame in the sequence. That's what allows you to edit on a frame by frame basis. You can cut any where in the sequence and be assured that you have complete images on either side of any cut.

Now, the capture program compresses your screen capture. It doesn't capture all the data from each frame, only the differences between frames. When you play it back in a player, the player plays enough of the data to give you something like a movie. I mean, it looks complete but it is technically not complete. You can see this, too, in the way it uses variable frame rate. The program decides how much data at any given time is captured and put in the video. One of the methods it uses to adapt the capture is to capture in a variable frame rate. Saves space and operates your computer as efficiently as possible.

That's why when you get your video ready for editing, the file is so big. Every frame is a complete image.

You can try to edit 1280x720p 60 fps material in its compressed format but it takes a robust computer to do so. Since the variable frame rate is going to cause you problems, you might as well go to an uncompressed format. Better that than decoding the compressed format, rebuilding the frame rate, and reencoding to the compressed format. You will lose image quality doing it that way.

That's it in a nutshell.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Audio out of synch after exporting PS3 gameplay 4 years, 3 months ago #95058

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
1280x720p 60 fps 8 bit uncompressed is about 6.5 GBytes per minute. For your 13 min clip that would be 85 GBytes. At 10 bit that would go up to 114 GBytes. I don't think uncompressed is what you're looking for.

Really you need to test your workflow end to end with a very short edit, say 30 second, edit. As a free user your final output is restricted - tailor your workflow with that in mind - you will ultimately be outputting at a data rate somewhere close to your original 824 MB for 13 minutes. You need to decide on a workflow that is not over-kill given your original material but that does keep detail from your original material. In my view whatever you select keep to a 1280x720 image size throughout - don't be suckered into scaling up to 1920x1080 then back again for export - scaling does more to compromise detail than any other part of a codec change process.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Audio out of synch after exporting PS3 gameplay 4 years, 3 months ago #95060

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
It's interesting that the video has a GOP length of 120 frames. Normally, you'll see something based on the number of frames per second. Here is one I frame every two seconds. "M" is the distance between P or I frames. In this case, there is one B frame for every P frame.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2
Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by donkpow.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds
Scroll To Top